oily plugs

Old February 8th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
nick[_3_]

Default oily plugs

Hey gang,

97 accord lx 4-cyl. Replacing the plugs at about
50k, noticed the plugs are oily. Izzat likely to be
valve seals or something unique to Hondas??

nick
Old February 8th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

nick > wrote in news:ga0rj.9$qw4.5@trnddc02:

> Hey gang,
>
> 97 accord lx 4-cyl. Replacing the plugs at about
> 50k, noticed the plugs are oily. Izzat likely to be
> valve seals or something unique to Hondas??
>
> nick

Oily up top where the wire attaches to it?

If so...
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/oilyplugs/index.html

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 8th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
nick[_3_]

Tegger wrote:
> Oily up top where the wire attaches to it?
>
> If so...
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/oilyplugs/index.html

Oooh ooh! That might just be it. And it's only happening
to 1 or 2 plugs (have not checked them all, was just
checking plug condition at the time). I will check
that again, thanks!

nick
Old February 9th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
nick[_3_]

Tegger wrote:
> If so...
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/oilyplugs/index.html

Looks like that's the prob. Many thanks.

How can I determine which engine type is in my 97 LX??
Looks like a D15Z or a D15B from the pix. Is that
stamped anywhere on the block??

nick
Old February 9th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

nick > wrote in news:aLlrj.1012$r03.872@trnddc08:

> Tegger wrote:
> > If so...
>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/oilyplugs/index.html
>>

> Looks like that's the prob. Many thanks.
>
> How can I determine which engine type is in my 97 LX??
> Looks like a D15Z or a D15B from the pix. Is that
> stamped anywhere on the block??

You've got an F-series engine, not a D-series. D's go in Civics.

The engine number is stamped into a small vertical panel on the block
immediately above the front engine mount.
Rub the crud off it and look carefully. The stamping is not deep and can be
hard to read.

Old February 15th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
nick[_3_]

Default oily plugs -- TEGGER, YOU ROCK!!

First you saved me a bundle with replacing the starter
solenoid contacts -- 25 bucks vs. about $250 for a new starter.

Now -- 12 bucks and a 15 minute job, and I have replaced the
O rings in the valve cover to stop oil leaking onto the
tops of the spark plugs. Could not have been simpler (he
says while knocking on wood).

Thanks bunches. May your tribe increase and the sun never set on
your people.

nick
Old February 16th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

nick > wrote in news:Ftktj.29$N95.14@trnddc03:

> First you saved me a bundle with replacing the starter
> solenoid contacts -- 25 bucks vs. about $250 for a new starter.

I don't think that was me...

> Now -- 12 bucks and a 15 minute job, and I have replaced the
> O rings in the valve cover to stop oil leaking onto the
> tops of the spark plugs. Could not have been simpler (he
> says while knocking on wood).

It's a good feeling, knowing somebody got some effective help. Thanks for
the feedback.

Change your oil _no less frequently_ than every three months or 5K miles.
You'll be surprised how much longer your seals last.

> Thanks bunches. May your tribe increase and the sun never set on
> your people.

Back at ya.

Old February 16th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
cciaffone

Default oily plugs -- TEGGER and Curly , YOU BOTH ROCK!!

Tegger wrote:
> nick > wrote in news:Ftktj.29$N95.14@trnddc03:
>
>> First you saved me a bundle with replacing the starter
>> solenoid contacts -- 25 bucks vs. about $250 for a new starter.

> I don't think that was me...

O right, that was Curly. Senior moment.

Well I am deeply indebted to both of you.

many thanks again.