Multiple Random Misfires

Old January 25th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill Gunshannon

Default Multiple Random Misfires

I saw over on google that there was a discussion about this several
years ago. I seem to be getting the same error, but with different
symptoms. Mine is not at high rev but every once in a while it will
do it when I first start the car. Often after only a short time since
shutting it down. Anybody have any experience or ideas about what
could be causing this? It usually clears up after a short time, but
the last time it happened it actually caused (at least it is the prime
suspect) damage to the another component. Being as I need to make a
trip down the east coast and back next week I would really like to
have an idea what this might be and maybe even fix it before then.

Mine is 2000, Special Edition. Although I don't think that makes a
difference.

bill

| and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>
Old January 25th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lgadbois[_2_]

Unburned fuel is sitting in one or more cylinders as a result of how the car
was shut off. If your foot is on the gas as you roll into the driveway, and
you turn off the ignition, the raw gas may sit there until next time you
start the car. Try letting the car idle for a second after you roll to a
stop.

Old January 25th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Bill, you don't give much info here but my initial thought is spark plug
wires. As you may or may not know, miatas eat them up in fairly short order
compared to the average vehicle and this could very possibly be your
problem. Allot of folks swear by the NGK 'Blues' but I'm a proponent of the
lifetime wires from NAPA which I believe cost about the same amount but can
be traded in occasionally as needed. Currently mine have been on for over
two years and over 40k. I really ought to replace them just in case but
never think of it when I have the time and never have the time when I think
of it.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out!
Chris
99BBB

Old January 25th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Barry

> I saw over on google that there was a discussion about this several
> years ago. I seem to be getting the same error, but with different
> symptoms. Mine is not at high rev but every once in a while it will
> do it when I first start the car. Often after only a short time since
> shutting it down. Anybody have any experience or ideas about what
> could be causing this? It usually clears up after a short time, but
> the last time it happened it actually caused (at least it is the prime
> suspect) damage to the another component.

I had a similar-sounding problem a few years ago with my 1999. Sometimes
after starting it would run very rough, with check engine light flashing.
After a mile or two it would run normally. Replacing plug wires didn't solve
the problem, and it finally turned out to be the coil pack. The bad coil did
ruin the catalytic converter, which was replaced twice, thankfully under
warranty.

Old January 25th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill Gunshannon

In article >,
"Barry" > writes:
>> I saw over on google that there was a discussion about this several
>> years ago. I seem to be getting the same error, but with different
>> symptoms. Mine is not at high rev but every once in a while it will
>> do it when I first start the car. Often after only a short time since
>> shutting it down. Anybody have any experience or ideas about what
>> could be causing this? It usually clears up after a short time, but
>> the last time it happened it actually caused (at least it is the prime
>> suspect) damage to the another component.

> I had a similar-sounding problem a few years ago with my 1999. Sometimes
> after starting it would run very rough, with check engine light flashing.
> After a mile or two it would run normally. Replacing plug wires didn't solve
> the problem, and it finally turned out to be the coil pack. The bad coil did
> ruin the catalytic converter, which was replaced twice, thankfully under
> warranty.

So the concensus seems to be coil pack and/or plug wires. The garage
that is fixing the other problem seemed to think coil pack was the
likely culprit as well. I think I will order a coil pack and a set
of plugwires from Moss Motors (miatamania.com) and have them put in
while the car is in the garage anyway. If I order them today I will
probably have them by monday and I really need to get the Miata back
on the road. Thanks for the help everybody. And if anyone knows of
other possibilites please let me know.

Old January 26th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> So the concensus seems to be coil pack and/or plug wires. The
> garage
> that is fixing the other problem seemed to think coil pack was the
> likely culprit as well. I think I will order a coil pack and a set
> of plugwires from Moss Motors (miatamania.com) and have them put in
> while the car is in the garage anyway. If I order them today I will
> probably have them by monday and I really need to get the Miata back
> on the road. Thanks for the help everybody. And if anyone knows of
> other possibilites please let me know.
>
> bill
>
> --
> Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three
> wolves
> | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
> University of Scranton |
> Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Hey, another Pennsylvania Miata owner!

If you don't mind taking a drive, c'mon down and join LVMOC for some
events.
www.lvmoc.net We even have a member who lives up in
Mountain Top.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old January 26th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill Gunshannon

In article >,
"Iva" > writes:
> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> So the concensus seems to be coil pack and/or plug wires. The
>> garage
>> that is fixing the other problem seemed to think coil pack was the
>> likely culprit as well. I think I will order a coil pack and a set
>> of plugwires from Moss Motors (miatamania.com) and have them put in
>> while the car is in the garage anyway. If I order them today I will
>> probably have them by monday and I really need to get the Miata back
>> on the road. Thanks for the help everybody. And if anyone knows of
>> other possibilites please let me know.
>>
>> bill
>>
>> --
>> Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three
>> wolves
>> | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
>> University of Scranton |
>> Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

> Hey, another Pennsylvania Miata owner!
>
> If you don't mind taking a drive, c'mon down and join LVMOC for some
> events.
www.lvmoc.net We even have a member who lives up in
> Mountain Top.
>
> Iva & Vixen
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

Actually, there are enough Miatas within walking distance of my house to
form our own club. And probably a couple dozen in the NEPA region. But
I really have no time for things like clubs. I drive a Miata because it
handles like my old British sports cars (I own an MG currently in storage
awaiting restoration and I used to have a Triumph Spitfire which is now
out in Michigan with a Ford V8 and 5 speed in it) and thats the kind of
driving I like. Mine's a daily driver (except when there is snow on the
ground) and has made a number of trips up and down the east coast.

I have said and will say again, the Miata is destined to become the next
Classic Sports Car. It is everything people bought sports cars for in
the past. And not only are people starting to restore and customize them
but there are already parts palces who cater to them. I love it!!!

Old January 30th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I have to agree with you there Pat, this car has been all about customizing
practically from the get-go! I kind of unofficially collect great miata
pics, I know I have 10 or 12 thousand. Like a woman's body, there's hardly
any two alike and I mean that in an artistic way not a sexist way. Besides
my wife would kill me if I had 12k women's pictures ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old February 7th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill Gunshannon

Just to bring this thread to a close, I replaced the coil&ignitor, the
plug wires and the plugs. (and the catalytic convertor that had been
damaged by the original problem.) I just drove from PA to AL and then
back via Eastern GA almost 3000 miles, total. Not a single problem and
good performance all the way.

Thanks to everyone for their help and information.

Old February 10th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Pat Dreiding[_2_]

My 99 showing the same symptoms.

Where and what coil&ignitor, the plug wires and the plugs did you purchase?

Thanks,
- Pat

"Bill Gunshannon" > wrote in message
> Just to bring this thread to a close, I replaced the coil&ignitor, the
> plug wires and the plugs. (and the catalytic convertor that had been
> damaged by the original problem.) I just drove from PA to AL and then
> back via Eastern GA almost 3000 miles, total. Not a single problem and
> good performance all the way.
>
> Thanks to everyone for their help and information.
>
> bill
>
> --
> Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
> | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
> University of Scranton |
> Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Random/Multiple cylinder misfire [email protected] Technology 0 October 23rd 07 08:28 PM
2001 Cadillac DeVille with Multiple Misfires frank1492 Technology 3 February 1st 07 04:42 PM
Engine misfires -> Cat Converter fails Victor[_1_] Mazda 8 December 12th 06 09:08 PM
Misfires above 2000 RPM. JimS Jeep 5 March 14th 05 06:08 PM
Misfires in 98 Subaru Outback w/ 2.5 [email protected] Technology 12 January 24th 05 08:00 PM