GTR2 video card

Old March 30th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_9_]

Default GTR2 video card

Hi all,

I have an HP a1020n system and I want to add a video card. GTR2 runs
but not well enough. My system only has a 250w power supply so I guess
I would need to replace this with a 300w or 350w psu. I've never
replaced a psu but I assume they come in all shapes and sizes. How can
I be sure I get one that will fit properly inside my case? Would I
even need to replace my current psu to add a video card? Any comments
appreciated.

Thanks. Larry

Old March 30th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Reading the specs from Hp's site, by googleing your HP model.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...459880&lang=en

I saw the picture at amazon of your case, but not of the back, I bet you
have a standard size (physically) powersupply, but I cannot be sure, since
HP (as well as other MFG's create Cheapo "general inturnet surfing consumer"
systems with wierd specs, for consumer PC market, used to be sold at walmart
and sears and crap (hence the 250 or so PS...)

Well, lookin at the HP link of the specs above, I see you have a motherboard
with built in graphics, plus farther down it says you only have 3 PLAIN PCI
slots available, (see 1st link below this paragraph) and a grand total of 4
memory slots of unspecified on that page, system ram. Open your case, did
it look like this?

IF your unlucky, your HP PC comes with the ASUS PTGD-LA motherboard:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00361570 The
slot where you would have inserted a nice vid card, was never installed onto
the motherboard at time of MFG, typically to save a % or 2 for the margin of
profit.

But you might be lucky, and have this one? Look at your motherboard's close
cousin PTGD1-LA, which came out a few months after
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...name=c00297771
), the only difference is that it has a PCI-e x16 slot on this board..

If you dont have the PCI-e Slot, then you've got a mighty paperweight/word
processor PC, AND gaming is gonna suxors... I suggest you pawn it off on a
friend, or possibly invest in a motherboard SWAP?

Larry enlightened us with:

Old March 30th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_9_]

Plowboy,

Thanks for the great info.

Yes, I only have PCI slots on the mobo. GTR2 runs ok for my 10 year
old but I need more FPS. I was looking into throwing some money at
this HP paperweight just for this reason. Racing is all I do on it and
I'm tired of GPL. So this was my plan. Let me know if it is flawed
anywhere.

1. Replace my current 250w psu with a 400w. I was looking at the
Sparkle ATX-400PN-B204. $45
2. Add a PCI video card like a Radeon 9250, 256MB PCI. I realize PCI
is inferior but its all I got to work with. $75
3. Double my RAM from 512mb to a gig. $60
4. Being able to run GTR2 on an HP paperweight. Priceless.

Would adding even more RAM help with GTR2?

Larry

Old March 30th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

"Larry" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Plowboy,
>
> Thanks for the great info.
>
> Yes, I only have PCI slots on the mobo. GTR2 runs ok for my 10 year
> old but I need more FPS. I was looking into throwing some money at
> this HP paperweight just for this reason. Racing is all I do on it and
> I'm tired of GPL. So this was my plan. Let me know if it is flawed
> anywhere.
>
> 1. Replace my current 250w psu with a 400w. I was looking at the
> Sparkle ATX-400PN-B204. $45
> 2. Add a PCI video card like a Radeon 9250, 256MB PCI. I realize PCI
> is inferior but its all I got to work with. $75
> 3. Double my RAM from 512mb to a gig. $60
> 4. Being able to run GTR2 on an HP paperweight. Priceless.
>
> Would adding even more RAM help with GTR2?
>
> Larry

Everything sounds good, although I NEVER had good luck with ATI cards, so
good luck on that part of the upgrade I quit trying when Geforce2 came out
(probably before your model you are looking at.

but everything sounds right. Now on the PS, you will need to know you have
a certain connector (24 pin, by lookin at the pic) now I cannot recall for
sure the pin counts, but new boards have more pins, and usually the "extra"
are just that, extra where it will be 2 plugs that hook together to make one
bigger plug in. If I recall correctly it is older boards take 20 pin, new
ones take 24 which many times is a 20 pin connection with a 4 pin connector
that you hook these to together and plug into the 24 pin place on the MOBO.
Plus even more newer boards have an aditional 4 pin connector near (in my
case, near the CPU)... It aint that hard and if you have a store you buy
from, you can check to make sure. my mom's older PC, again I bleieve, has
the 20 pin, and when I got her a (not expensive) powersupply it showed up
with all one piece 24 pin so I had to order yet again. Luck would have it
my PS died so I used that one I got her orignally.

Old March 31st 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_9_]

On Mar 30, 6:48 pm, "Plowboy" > wrote:
> "Larry" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Plowboy,

> > Thanks for the great info.

> > Yes, I only have PCI slots on the mobo. GTR2 runs ok for my 10 year
> > old but I need more FPS. I was looking into throwing some money at
> > this HP paperweight just for this reason. Racing is all I do on it and
> > I'm tired of GPL. So this was my plan. Let me know if it is flawed
> > anywhere.

> > 1. Replace my current 250w psu with a 400w. I was looking at the
> > Sparkle ATX-400PN-B204. $45
> > 2. Add a PCI video card like a Radeon 9250, 256MB PCI. I realize PCI
> > is inferior but its all I got to work with. $75
> > 3. Double my RAM from 512mb to a gig. $60
> > 4. Being able to run GTR2 on an HP paperweight. Priceless.

> > Would adding even more RAM help with GTR2?

> > Larry

> Everything sounds good, although I NEVER had good luck with ATI cards, so
> good luck on that part of the upgrade I quit trying when Geforce2 came out
> (probably before your model you are looking at.
>
> but everything sounds right. Now on the PS, you will need to know you have
> a certain connector (24 pin, by lookin at the pic) now I cannot recall for
> sure the pin counts, but new boards have more pins, and usually the "extra"
> are just that, extra where it will be 2 plugs that hook together to make one
> bigger plug in. If I recall correctly it is older boards take 20 pin, new
> ones take 24 which many times is a 20 pin connection with a 4 pin connector
> that you hook these to together and plug into the 24 pin place on the MOBO.
> Plus even more newer boards have an aditional 4 pin connector near (in my
> case, near the CPU)... It aint that hard and if you have a store you buy
> from, you can check to make sure. my mom's older PC, again I bleieve, has
> the 20 pin, and when I got her a (not expensive) powersupply it showed up
> with all one piece 24 pin so I had to order yet again. Luck would have it
> my PS died so I used that one I got her orignally.- Hide quoted text -

My mobo is 24 pin and the PS I'm looking at says it comes with a 20
pin plus a separate 4 pin so I guess I should be ok. Thanks again for
your input. Much appreciated.

Old April 5th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
R.V. Gronoff

Larry a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I have an HP a1020n system and I want to add a video card. GTR2 runs
> but not well enough. My system only has a 250w power supply so I guess
> I would need to replace this with a 300w or 350w psu. I've never
> replaced a psu but I assume they come in all shapes and sizes. How can
> I be sure I get one that will fit properly inside my case? Would I
> even need to replace my current psu to add a video card? Any comments
> appreciated.

I run GTR2 on a ti4600 with a 250w PSU,and it's graphically as good as
Nascar 2003, so I guess finding a cheap ti4600 like on eBay should make
you happy.
Old April 13th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

He doesnt have AGP!

Uwe Schürkamp enlightened us with:

Old April 13th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Larry,

I didnt ever see a PCI version of a 9250, did they make them? make sure...

Larry enlightened us with:

Old April 16th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_9_]

On Apr 13, 1:52 pm, "Plowboy" > wrote:
> Larry,
>
> I didnt ever see a PCI version of a 9250, did they make them? make sure...
>
> Larry enlightened us with:
>

> > On Mar 30, 6:48 pm, "Plowboy" > wrote:
> >> "Larry" > wrote in message

> groups.com...

> >> Everything sounds good, although I NEVER had good luck with ATI
> >> cards, so good luck on that part of the upgrade I quit trying when
> >> Geforce2 came out (probably before your model you are looking at.

> >> but everything sounds right. Now on the PS, you will need to know
> >> you have a certain connector (24 pin, by lookin at the pic) now I
> >> cannot recall for sure the pin counts, but new boards have more
> >> pins, and usually the "extra" are just that, extra where it will be
> >> 2 plugs that hook together to make one bigger plug in. If I recall
> >> correctly it is older boards take 20 pin, new ones take 24 which
> >> many times is a 20 pin connection with a 4 pin connector that you
> >> hook these to together and plug into the 24 pin place on the MOBO.
> >> Plus even more newer boards have an aditional 4 pin connector near
> >> (in my case, near the CPU)... It aint that hard and if you have a
> >> store you buy from, you can check to make sure. my mom's older PC,
> >> again I bleieve, has the 20 pin, and when I got her a (not
> >> expensive) powersupply it showed up with all one piece 24 pin so I
> >> had to order yet again. Luck would have it my PS died so I used
> >> that one I got her orignally.- Hide quoted text -

> > My mobo is 24 pin and the PS I'm looking at says it comes with a 20
> > pin plus a separate 4 pin so I guess I should be ok. Thanks again for
> > your input. Much appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

I doubled my ram to 1 gig, installed a 400w power supply and a Radeon
PCI card and my fps went in the tank!! Big Time!! It was horrible. So
I went back to my onboard Intel graphics accelerator and just with the
ram upgrade, it is fine for hotlapping. To race, however, I must put
the game on the lowest resolution and limit the field to about 25
cars.

Old April 20th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
R.V. Gronoff

Plowboy a écrit :
> He doesnt have AGP!

I see.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic47227.html

Another Video Card Question LA45 Simulators 7 February 20th 07 03:46 AM
GTR2 - Best Video Card DStamper Simulators 14 October 17th 06 11:05 PM
what video card Don D Simulators 7 March 22nd 06 10:58 PM
GTR and new video card John Smith Simulators 12 August 3rd 05 07:36 AM
New video card (for new system) Jeff Vincent Simulators 3 January 25th 05 12:12 AM