95 Golf oil light???

Old June 10th 05, 09:23 PM
d. freem

Default 95 Golf oil light???

The oil light is flashing way too often on my 1995 Golf. Doesn't seem to be
leaking or using oil. What else might be going on???

Thanks!
dan

Old June 10th 05, 09:26 PM
Woodchuck

Oil too thin, oil pressure too low.

Old June 10th 05, 11:17 PM
Papa

Could be that you are low on oil or are using an oil that is too thin.
Beyond that, it could be a bad oil pump, worn crankshaft bearings, or a
defective oil pressure sensing switch. How many miles do you have on that
car? If it is beyond 200,000 - then my guess is that you need a new oil
pump. That is more likely than worn bearings.

Anyway, don't drive the car until you get it fixed. Otherwise you are
risking a blown engine. A new oil pump is cheap by comparison.

Old June 16th 05, 05:05 AM
John Smith

The only way you will know for certain is to remove the oil sender and
install an oil pressure gauge. If you don't know a mechanic who has one buy
a cheap unit and install it temporaily to find out what gives.

CB

Old June 16th 05, 01:40 PM
andy

I was having a similar problem on my '96 and it was nothing more than a
loose wire on the sender. You may have already checked this but I pulled the
wires, cleaned the contacts, plugged it back in and no more quirky oil
light.
andy