Virtual RC Racing

Old December 1st 04, 05:47 PM
Stephen F.

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> Andre Warringa > wrote in
> :
>
>> At least you got that far - windows opens the msi file with notepad
>> here, I have no idea how I can fix this :-/
>>
>> Andre

> with win98, and I hope XP is similar, you open the folder you extracted
> the msi file and click on the view menu option at the top. then choose
> the
> folder options. You should see at least 3 tabs. Choose the file types
> tab
> and scroll down til you see the .msi extension. click on the edit button,
> you will next see a small window with probably the OPEN command inside.
> Below that are several buttons, choose remove. That will keep notepad
> from
> getting first crack at the file.
> dh

Talk about customer-friendly installations. I'm sure every RC enthusiast out
there who wants to try the demo will know this. :-)

Stephen

Old December 1st 04, 06:53 PM
Jasper

> Talk about customer-friendly installations. I'm sure every RC enthusiast
> out there who wants to try the demo will know this. :-)

On a PC with everything running normally msi files should install no
problem, it is afterall a MicroSoftInstall, not sure why some peoples
windows stop recognising the msi extension.

Old December 1st 04, 07:36 PM
Dave Henrie

"Stephen F." > wrote in
:

rrin
>> :
>>
>>> At least you got that far - windows opens the msi file with notepad
>>> here, I have no idea how I can fix this :-/
>>>
>>> Andre

> Talk about customer-friendly installations. I'm sure every RC
> enthusiast out there who wants to try the demo will know this. :-)
>
> Stephen

It is not the fault of the new program. One of Andre's file
assignments got 're-assigned.' As noted in another post. An MSI file
should work properly without all this hassle. IF Andre had tried to view
another .msi file anytime in the past, and he chose notepad to look at the
file, then if that little checkbox that says 'use this always for this type
of file' will take over his system's choice. I've done that several
times in the past when clicking madly thru choices. So don't blame the
programers of the RC sim, rather just commiserate with Andre that sometime
in the past he clicked too quickly or another program hijacked the msi
extension.

dh
Old December 1st 04, 09:10 PM
Andre Warringa

>times in the past when clicking madly thru choices. So don't blame the
>programers of the RC sim, rather just commiserate with Andre that sometime
>in the past he clicked too quickly or another program hijacked the msi
>extension.
>
>dh

Why would I have linked msi files with notepad :-/
Must have been a program that did it.. strange.
Your fix worked fine, thanks

Andre
Old December 2nd 04, 05:03 PM
Remco Moedt

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:42:42 +0100, "Stephen F."
> wrote:

(Remco Moedt)

>>>Free game and registering is too much to ask. It takes 2 minutes
>>><rolleyes>

>> I've no problem with registering, it's the method used. Suppose I want
>> to run it on a machine not connected to the Internet? Beside, at that
>> time it was not clear to me _why_ I needed to register a track for an
>> offline practice session....
>>
>> Cheers!
>>

>> Remco
>>

>Don't buy Half Life 2... it will really annoy you.

That Steam stuff is exactly the reason I wont buy HL2. In the past I
just bought the games I wanted, but nowadays I first use an
'evaluation' copy to see if it runs on my machine, and only then I buy
it.

I think it's a weird thing legal users have to pay the price for
piracy.

Cheers!

Remco
Old December 2nd 04, 05:58 PM
Plowboy2

This setting that Stephen has, is one of the "quick and dirty" ways of
stopping crap from installing like from Virus or hijacked websites and or
advertizers... just like associating ms-word files or wordpad with ".txt"
(which usually open with notepad) someone other than you, have pretty much
effectivly stopped the ".msi" (im guessing it is NOT your own computer?)
which is one of several executable files out there nowdays. you could do
the "open with" when you right click the .msi... not sure what you would
chose tho...

Jasper enlightened us with:

Old December 2nd 04, 06:51 PM
Jasper

Its quite amazing Remco is even on the Net at all, all that logging in and
stuff you have to do