Another Premature 156 Cambelt Failure

Old July 14th 04, 08:40 PM
Colonel Tupperware

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:44:11 GMT, "Steve Knight"
> wrote:

>> Alfa are paying 75% of parts & labour, so I'll only be
>> paying the cost of a normal service and cambelt change.
>> I'm happy with that (and very relieved).

>Very fair, good on Alfa for doing the right thing.

Good on them.
What a shame that they make an engine that eats belts in the first
place.

--
ColonelTupperware
spouting ******** on Usenet since 1997
Old July 14th 04, 09:38 PM
Esko Kauppinen

Colonel Tupperware wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:44:11 GMT, "Steve Knight"
> > wrote:
>

>>>Alfa are paying 75% of parts & labour, so I'll only be
>>>paying the cost of a normal service and cambelt change.
>>>I'm happy with that (and very relieved).

>>Very fair, good on Alfa for doing the right thing.

> Good on them.
> What a shame that they make an engine that eats belts in the first
> place.

You can say that again. I bought a new Alfa a while ago and chose
the 2.5 liter V6 engine after visiting AlfaRomeo.com site and reading
this from the 156 Engines site:

"2.5 V6 24V 2492 cm3
KW 138-141 (188-192 BHP-EEC)
Maximum power output at 6300 rpm
Peak torque at 5000 rpm ...
... The platinum spark plugs, hydraulic tappets, and automatic belt
tighteners minimize the need for maintenance (first service after
100,000 Km). It is available on the Alfa 166, 156 and Sportwagon."

This gave me the (wrong) impression that this engine is free of cambelt
troubles for the first 100.000 km's.

Esko

Old July 15th 04, 04:43 PM
Ross

"Joe Ortiz" > wrote in message
m...

> I've never been very
> convinced by this "check" business. What do they do, look at it? Or do
> they perform some serious checks of some kind? Can anybody tell us?

According to my dealer, Northgate at Canterbury, UK, they do a visual
inspection of the belt and asses the position of the tensioner mechanism to
determine if everything is ok or needs changing.

I've still got some way to go before my 147 is due, hopefully things will
be clearer by then!

Regards
Ross

Old July 15th 04, 09:24 PM
Pete

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:39:43 GMT, s7uar7 >, wrote:

>Anyway, Alfa are paying 75% of parts & labour, so I'll only be
>paying the cost of a normal service and cambelt change. I'm happy with
>that (and very relieved).

Excellent news Stuart. Thanks for sharing you tale with us, and giving us
the happy ending too.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old July 16th 04, 09:46 AM
James Lucy

I've just changed my cambelt as part of replacing a dead variator. ('98
2.0TS). I haven't owned the car all its life (about 3 years and 40k), but
I'm pretty sure it was not changed before I got the car, and it made it to
80,000 miles with me. What's more, the removed belt was in good condition.
Guess I was just lucky. However, here's the point: The cam belt was quite
slack, and the tensioner had got to the end of its movement. My theory
(completetly unsubstantiated tho!) is that cam belt failures are caused by a
lack of tension, rather than the primary failure of the belt. The tensioner
doesn't have a lot of travel, and the initial adjustment on a new belt is at
the midpoint of its range, so the belt doesn't need to wear too much before
the tensioner is out of movement.

I also changed the balance shaft belt, which also looked fine. I wasn't
planning on changing the poly-V belt that drives alternator, power steering
and aircon, but the old one was dead and had to be changed.

James

Old July 16th 04, 10:34 AM
Colonel Tupperware

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:46:59 +0100, "James Lucy" >
wrote:

>I've just changed my cambelt as part of replacing a dead variator. ('98
>2.0TS). I haven't owned the car all its life (about 3 years and 40k), but
>I'm pretty sure it was not changed before I got the car, and it made it to
>80,000 miles with me. What's more, the removed belt was in good condition.
>Guess I was just lucky. However, here's the point: The cam belt was quite
>slack, and the tensioner had got to the end of its movement. My theory
>(completetly unsubstantiated tho!) is that cam belt failures are caused by a
>lack of tension, rather than the primary failure of the belt.

Thats normally the case, either a tensioner or idler pully will let
go. The belts rarely break without outside influence.

Old July 31st 04, 03:49 PM
Charlie Andrews

Afternoon, all

Is this cambelt issue a 2.0l issue only, or affecting the whole 156 range?
My 1.8TS has done about 56 000m. And I don't like the sound of what's going
on here!

Charlie

Old July 31st 04, 11:17 PM
Alfistagj

all 4 cylinder TS engines

"Charlie Andrews" > schreef in bericht

Old August 1st 04, 06:25 PM
David C

"Charlie Andrews" > wrote in message
> Afternoon, all
>
> Is this cambelt issue a 2.0l issue only, or affecting the whole 156 range?
> My 1.8TS has done about 56 000m. And I don't like the sound of what's

going
> on here!
>
> Charlie

Yep all of them.