Acetone added to Gasoline

Old April 28th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Acetone added to Gasoline

after postings on the subject made the rounds, what the general
consensus did ya'll come to?

Is it a good idea, does it increase mileage, is it harmful to the fuel
system, just what is the general consensus on it?

If it really works the government should mandate it's usage in consumer
gasoline.

mho
vƒe

Old April 28th 06, 10:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
after postings on the subject made the rounds, what the general
consensus did ya'll come to?

It is a bad idea, does not increase mileage.

Old April 30th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 05:56:34 -0700, ~^Johnny^~
> wrote:

>Better yet, burn propane. It's dirtier than methane, but cheaper to
>store and deliver, and at least it's cleaner than gasoline.

ANd I forgot to mention:

Propane has a (R+M)/2 rating of about 110.
No additives needed (except for perhaps mercaptan based odorants).

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Old April 30th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

~^Johnny^~ wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:54:49 -0500, wrote:
>
> >Is it a good idea,

> Absolutely not!
>
> >does it increase mileage,

> No.
>
> >is it harmful to the fuel system,

> Most likely. Worse than methanol.
>
> >just what is the general consensus on it?

> Don't do it.
>
> MTBE was bad enough, and was finally banned
> in many areas.
>
> Before that it was TEL. Nasty stuff. Not found in "unleaded" fuels.
> Phesed out in the 70's.
>
> Before that, we had Ethylene Dibromide. Corrosive crap.
> Never halogenate fuels or their additives. Increased emissions, too.
> Also banned.
>
> Acetone??? Noooooooooooooooooooo!
> It's destructive to many polymers, especially elastomers.
>
> Are you smoking catnip?
>
> The light liquid paraffins (heptane, octane, nonane, decane, and
> undecane) burn fine, without a bunch of extra crap added.
>
> Better yet, burn propane. It's dirtier than methane, but cheaper to
> store and deliver, and at least it's cleaner than gasoline.
>
> --
> -john
> wide-open at throttle dot info

I just checked my can of CRC / Fuel Injector / Air-Intake Cleaner /
Teflon Safe which Contains Propane, Xyene, Toluene, Acetone, and the
list goes on. If you checked the percentage of acetone that is to be
added (a fraction of 1 % acetone to gas) the most that will happen is
you get a clean fuel system.
Stan
Old May 15th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:28:17 -0400, Stan Weiss >
wrote:

>~^Johnny^~ wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:54:49 -0500, wrote:
>>
>> >Is it a good idea,

>> Absolutely not!
>>
>> >does it increase mileage,

>> No.
>>
>> >is it harmful to the fuel system,

>> Most likely. Worse than methanol.
>>
>> >just what is the general consensus on it?

>> Don't do it.
>>
>> MTBE was bad enough, and was finally banned
>> in many areas.
>>
>> Before that it was TEL. Nasty stuff. Not found in "unleaded" fuels.
>> Phesed out in the 70's.
>>
>> Before that, we had Ethylene Dibromide. Corrosive crap.
>> Never halogenate fuels or their additives. Increased emissions, too.
>> Also banned.
>>
>> Acetone??? Noooooooooooooooooooo!
>> It's destructive to many polymers, especially elastomers.
>>
>> Are you smoking catnip?
>>
>> The light liquid paraffins (heptane, octane, nonane, decane, and
>> undecane) burn fine, without a bunch of extra crap added.
>>
>> Better yet, burn propane. It's dirtier than methane, but cheaper to
>> store and deliver, and at least it's cleaner than gasoline.
>>
>> --
>> -john
>> wide-open at throttle dot info

>I just checked my can of CRC / Fuel Injector / Air-Intake Cleaner /
>Teflon Safe which Contains Propane, Xyene, Toluene, Acetone, and the
>list goes on. If you checked the percentage of acetone that is to be
>added (a fraction of 1 % acetone to gas) the most that will happen is
>you get a clean fuel system.
>Stan

This is an aerosol product, not a fuel additive...
am I correct?

The acetone and toluene are vehicles for the Teflon, and the propane
is the propellant. The Xylene is probably the main active
ingredient, for cleaning. It may also contain diethyl ether and
methanol...

I thought we were talking about fuel additives, not spray cleaners.
My bad, ;`(

Old May 15th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for the input.

Old May 16th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

But what about anti-matter acetone?

Old May 16th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Word is, it helps one fit into jeans that used to fit.