4x4 grinding noise

Old December 24th 04, 04:43 AM
Maida

Default 4x4 grinding noise

I have a 1991 explorer with automatic locking hubs. When I switch from 4H
to 2H, there is a very loud grinding noise when driving forward. If I
disengage the hubs by backing up, then the sounds goes away. It also
sometimes does it when I drive forward in 4H. I noticed it started after
I was trying to gain traction on ice and I put the truck in 4H right
before backing up. I am pretty sure its one of the hubs, but is there
something else I should look for? I just had the 4wd motor replaced a
couple months ago so it shouldn't be that. How could I check to make sure
what it may be. I have also seen some postings about changing from auto to
manual hubs. Is this advised?

Thank you,

Josh

Old December 24th 04, 07:28 AM
Jim Warman

Yu can purchase the manual hubs plus the hardware kit for about the same as
what one auto hub costs...... while the auto hubs are more convenient, they
are failure prone. In your case (the noise), the bad hub is trying to eat
the good one.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 25th 04, 07:43 AM
Twano

I'll agree with Jim,,,
I replaced my auto hubs on my '94 with Warn manuals for less than the price
of one automatic hub. The reliability of the Warn manual hubs far exceed the
convenience of the auto's.
They are very easy to install, if you can change a tire, you can install the
manual hubs.
btw, Merry Xmas
Twano

newsGOyd.13630$nN6.3639@edtnps84...

Old December 26th 04, 02:24 AM
Twano

the child?s breast into
cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human,
although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly
different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its
10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates)
2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible)
Olive oil
Green onions
Salt
pepper
cornstarch
neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine)
garlic
parsley
fresh cracked black pepper

Season and sauté the cutlets in olive oil till golden brown, remove.
Add the garlic and onions and cook down a bit.
Add some lemon juice and some zest, then de-glaze with stock.
Add a little cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) to the sauce.
You are just about there, Pour the sauce over the cutlets,
top with parsley, lemon slices and cracked pepper.
Serve with spinach salad, macaroni and cheese (homemade) and iced tea...

Spaghetti with Real Italian Meatballs

If you don?t have an expendable bambino on hand,
you can use a pound of ground pork instead.
The secret to great meatballs, is to use very lean meat.

1 lb. ground flesh; human or pork
3 lb. ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onions
7 - 12 cloves garlic
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
˝ cup milk, 2 eggs
Oregano
basil
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning, etc.
Tomato gravy (see index)
Fresh or at least freshly cooked spaghetti or other pasta

Mix the ground meats together in a large bowl,
then mix each of the other ingredients.
Make balls about the size of a baby?s fist
(there should be one lying around for reference).
Bake at 400°for about 25 minutes -
or you could fry them in olive oil.
Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours.
Serve on spaghetti.
Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine ca

Old December 26th 04, 09:56 PM

I am sure the problem is with your hublocks. You will need to replace both
of them to solve your problem even if you stay with automatic hublocks.

Don't worry about staying with automatic hublocks if you prefer them. The
factory installed auto hublocks are also Warn hublocks and supplied to
Ford. The hublocks have been improved over time and the should work for
you just fine.

Unfotunatly, you can only by the Warn automatic hublocks through a Ford
dealership so it might cost more than buying the Warn manual hublocks
through a retailer.

It is very easy to replace your automatic hublocks!

If you switch to the manual hublocks you will need to replace the wheel
bearing retainer nut. This requires some specialty tools. This is not
difficult to do and the tools are readily available. Just but be sure to
consider this in the total cost of changing to manual hublocks.

Happy and Safe 4x4 driving,
Scott