1996 Chrysler Concorde

Old November 20th 04, 01:43 AM
GrtArtiste

Default 1996 Chrysler Concorde

My mother has just acquired a 1996 Chrysler Concorde (3.5L engine) from another
family member (89000 miles, $3600). She is confident that the car has been
maintained, not abused, and all recalls are up to date. Aside from the air
conditioner being inoperative (I understand this was a common problem with this
model, quoted $900 to fix), the car appears to be in good shape and everything
else is operational. Are there any other well known conditions-problems I
should be on the lookout for since I will be keeping an eye on the car for her?
Thanks for any replies.
Old November 20th 04, 02:09 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 20 Nov 2004, GrtArtiste wrote:

> My mother has just acquired a 1996 Chrysler Concorde (3.5L engine) from
> another family member (89000 miles, $3600). She is confident that the
> car has been maintained, not abused, and all recalls are up to date.
> Aside from the air conditioner being inoperative (I understand this was
> a common problem with this model, quoted $900 to fix), the car appears
> to be in good shape and everything else is operational. Are there any
> other well known conditions-problems I should be on the lookout for
> since I will be keeping an eye on the car for her? Thanks for any
> replies.

Hope she doesn't drive at night; the headlamps on these cars are awful.
Old November 20th 04, 02:09 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 20th 04, 02:12 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:43:48 +0000, GrtArtiste wrote:

> My mother has just acquired a 1996 Chrysler Concorde (3.5L engine) from another
> family member (89000 miles, $3600). She is confident that the car has been
> maintained, not abused, and all recalls are up to date. Aside from the air
> conditioner being inoperative (I understand this was a common problem with this
> model, quoted $900 to fix), the car appears to be in good shape and everything
> else is operational. Are there any other well known conditions-problems I
> should be on the lookout for since I will be keeping an eye on the car for her?
> Thanks for any replies.

I have a 94 with the same 3.5. AC is out on mine also. I also started to
develop transmission problems at 90K miles. The symptom is vibration
around 35MPH and it is slow to engage when it's cold. The dealer said that
there was an internal failure but they couldn't say how long it would last
before it failed completely. I've since put another 33,000 miles on it and
it's still functioning although it's behavior is gradually getting worse.
Don't know if this is a common Concorde problem but if you do start to
notice the transmission misbehaving be advised that it doesn't mean that
its going to stop working immediately.

Old November 20th 04, 02:12 AM
General Schvantzkoph

Old November 20th 04, 02:26 AM
GrtArtiste

>Hope she doesn't drive at night; the headlamps on these cars are awful.

I noted the odd, milky-white color of the headlamp lenses. Is this what you are
referring to? Can these be replaced at a reasonable price?
Old November 20th 04, 02:26 AM
GrtArtiste

Old November 20th 04, 02:42 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:26:48 +0000, GrtArtiste wrote:

>>Hope she doesn't drive at night; the headlamps on these cars are awful.
>>

> I noted the odd, milky-white color of the headlamp lenses. Is this what you are
> referring to? Can these be replaced at a reasonable pric

I've been driving a Concorde for 10 years, I've never found the headlights
to be inadequate.

Old November 20th 04, 02:42 AM
General Schvantzkoph

Old November 20th 04, 02:51 AM
Bill Putney

GrtArtiste wrote:
> My mother has just acquired a 1996 Chrysler Concorde (3.5L engine) from another
> family member (89000 miles, $3600). She is confident that the car has been
> maintained, not abused, and all recalls are up to date. Aside from the air
> conditioner being inoperative (I understand this was a common problem with this
> model, quoted $900 to fix), the car appears to be in good shape and everything
> else is operational. Are there any other well known conditions-problems I
> should be on the lookout for since I will be keeping an eye on the car for her?
> Thanks for any replies.

Hang around here as much as you'd like, but you may want to also check
out the www.dodgeintrepid.net forums. It has a good search feature, and
many questions have been answered, including general ones that you
asked, and possibly how to get that a.c. back up and running on the cheap.

For a '96, you want the First Generation forums.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')