Low oil pressure

Old June 20th 05, 03:28 AM
Woodchuck

If it stays out then you are lucky because the min oil PSI spec is 2bar @
2000RPM.

ink.net...

Old June 20th 05, 03:59 AM
Papa

Well, unfortunately it didn't. I took it for a longer drive this evening,
and the oil pressure warning light began to flash (after the engine got good
and warm) every time the engine RPM slowed down at traffic stops (pressure
was about 0.5 bar). The only thing I can think of right now (other than worn
bearings) is that maybe the two old pressure sensors that screw into the
engine and cam area are not reading the pressure accurately enough. I had
purchased new sensors, but the guy who installed the new pump did not put
them in because he said one was the wrong type and the distributor hardware
was in the way of the other one - which would have led to a re-timing job if
the distributor had been rotated to get it out of the way.

Sigh - more work!

.. .

Old June 20th 05, 11:28 PM
wayne b via CarKB.com

hello papa. i own a 1984 rabbit convertible and i also have been having the
same problems you have had with the low oil pressure readings and i would
like to know if you have found the source of the problem. i have thought of
dropping the oil pan and checking the pump but before i do i would like to
hear from someone who has been through the same thing. thanks

Old June 21st 05, 01:28 AM
Nate Nagel

I am not nuts about those OP readings, rule of thumb says 20 PSI at 2K
rpm, you are just on the border at 2K RPM, you should really have more
pressure at higher RPM, 2.5 bar is only 35ish PSI, it should really be
higher than that.

nate

Papa wrote:
> Well, unfortunately it didn't. I took it for a longer drive this evening,
> and the oil pressure warning light began to flash (after the engine got good
> and warm) every time the engine RPM slowed down at traffic stops (pressure
> was about 0.5 bar). The only thing I can think of right now (other than worn
> bearings) is that maybe the two old pressure sensors that screw into the
> engine and cam area are not reading the pressure accurately enough. I had
> purchased new sensors, but the guy who installed the new pump did not put
> them in because he said one was the wrong type and the distributor hardware
> was in the way of the other one - which would have led to a re-timing job if
> the distributor had been rotated to get it out of the way.
>
> Sigh - more work!
>
> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>If it stays out then you are lucky because the min oil PSI spec is 2bar @
>>2000RPM.

hlink.net...

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 21st 05, 01:38 AM
Papa

Yes, that is very true.

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
news:1119313708.c1b2f6091f64fae39896ca1907a4d84e@t eranews...
>I am not nuts about those OP readings, rule of thumb says 20 PSI at 2K rpm,
>you are just on the border at 2K RPM, you should really have more pressure
>at higher RPM, 2.5 bar is only 35ish PSI, it should really be higher than
>that.
>
> nate
>
> Papa wrote:
>> Well, unfortunately it didn't. I took it for a longer drive this evening,
>> and the oil pressure warning light began to flash (after the engine got
>> good and warm) every time the engine RPM slowed down at traffic stops
>> (pressure was about 0.5 bar). The only thing I can think of right now
>> (other than worn bearings) is that maybe the two old pressure sensors
>> that screw into the engine and cam area are not reading the pressure
>> accurately enough. I had purchased new sensors, but the guy who installed
>> the new pump did not put them in because he said one was the wrong type
>> and the distributor hardware was in the way of the other one - which
>> would have led to a re-timing job if the distributor had been rotated to
>> get it out of the way.
>>
>> Sigh - more work!
>>
>> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>
>>>If it stays out then you are lucky because the min oil PSI spec is 2bar @
>>>2000RPM.

thlink.net...

Old June 21st 05, 01:51 AM
Papa

You apparently did not see my last post to this thread - in which I
mentioned that the oil pressure warning light is still flashing (with the
new oil pump installed). Anyway, all I am certain of at the moment is that
the problem is not the oil pump. The oil pressure readings on my gage stayed
pretty much the same after the new pump was installed as it read with the
old pump. Hopefully the problem is due to inaccurate readings from my oil
pressure sensors. If not, then maybe my head gasket is incorrect and is
blocking some of the oil passageways. Worse yet, it might be bad bearings.
At any rate, my next step is to have the oil pressure accurately measured
with a professional oil pressure gage that service departments use. I'll
post the result.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:19 PM
Papa

I took my car in for an oil pressure check today. The true oil pressure is
much higher than the car gage and idiot light indicate. Here are the results
from the service department's own oil pressure tester (engine warmed up,
transmission in neutral):

Idle speed (around 1000 RPM): 18 PSI, 1.24 BAR
1500 RPM: 28 PSI, 1.93 BAR
2000 RPM: 40 PSI, 2.76 BAR
2500 RPM: 56 PSI, 3.86 BAR
3000 RPM: 66 PSI, 4.55 BAR
3500 RPM: 75 PSI, 5.17 BAR
4000 RPM: 75 PSI, 5.17 BAR

Nevertheless, I believe that the main bearings may be worn because they are
audible.

"Papa" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Well, unfortunately it didn't. I took it for a longer drive this evening,
> and the oil pressure warning light began to flash (after the engine got
> good and warm) every time the engine RPM slowed down at traffic stops
> (pressure was about 0.5 bar). The only thing I can think of right now
> (other than worn bearings) is that maybe the two old pressure sensors that
> screw into the engine and cam area are not reading the pressure accurately
> enough. I had purchased new sensors, but the guy who installed the new
> pump did not put them in because he said one was the wrong type and the
> distributor hardware was in the way of the other one - which would have
> led to a re-timing job if the distributor had been rotated to get it out
> of the way.
>
> Sigh - more work!
>
> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> If it stays out then you are lucky because the min oil PSI spec is 2bar @
>> 2000RPM.
>>

>> "Papa" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>> My new pump is installed. I used 10W40 oil.
>>>
>>> So far, so good. No longer getting a blinking oil warning light, but I
>>> will not feel completely confident about the repair until I have driven
>>> it for a couple of weeks. Here is how my oil pressure gage read, warm
>>> engine, transmission in neutral, various RPMs:
>>>
>>> Idle, 950 RPM, 0.9 Bar
>>> 1000 RPM, 1.0 Bar
>>> 1500 RPM, 1.1 Bar
>>> 2000 RPM, 1.5 Bar
>>> 2500 RPM, 1.9 Bar
>>> 3000 RPM, 2.2 Bar
>>> 3500 RPM, 2.4 Bar

Old June 22nd 05, 07:20 PM
David Sykes

I had the same problem with the light and buzzer on my 89 cab with 125k
miles. Replaced the sensor on top of the oil filter flange and the
problem permanently went away. $5 (i think) from germanautoparts.com -
great company with great service.

Dave

Old June 22nd 05, 08:45 PM
me

Papa > wrote:
> My new pump is installed. I used 10W40 oil.

> So far, so good. No longer getting a blinking oil warning light, but I will
> not feel completely confident about the repair until I have driven it for a
> couple of weeks. Here is how my oil pressure gage read, warm engine,
> transmission in neutral, various RPMs:

> Idle, 950 RPM, 0.9 Bar
> 1000 RPM, 1.0 Bar
> 1500 RPM, 1.1 Bar
> 2000 RPM, 1.5 Bar
> 2500 RPM, 1.9 Bar
> 3000 RPM, 2.2 Bar
> 3500 RPM, 2.4 Bar
> 4000 RPM, 2.5 Bar

Not to add fuel to the fire here, but have you tried adding the correct
weight oil to see if maybe the problem goes away. 10W40 is inappropriate
in most North American climates. The correct weight is 15W50 or 20W50
pretty much year round in most of North America. 15W50 (ala Mobil 1) is
probably the best option for year round performance. Check your owner's
manual or a Bentley.