Door Help

Old June 15th 05, 03:42 PM
Susan S.

Default Door Help

Ok, I guess I'm just blind or completely mechanically challenged but I can't
get my stupid door release figured out.

I have the inside door release handle (connects to the outer door metal
with two bolts)
which is connected to a long metal rod (large hook into the handle, smaller
hook on the other end)
which I am assuming attaches to the inside lock somehow. Where I have no
idea.

Also, one of my door rods has a metal clip and one doesn't. How important
is the clip ?
What does it do ? What's it called so I can even find another one ?

Thanks for any help,
Susan S.

Old June 15th 05, 04:16 PM
Speedy Jim

Susan S. wrote:
> Ok, I guess I'm just blind or completely mechanically challenged but I can't
> get my stupid door release figured out.
>
> I have the inside door release handle (connects to the outer door metal
> with two bolts)
> which is connected to a long metal rod (large hook into the handle, smaller
> hook on the other end)
> which I am assuming attaches to the inside lock somehow. Where I have no
> idea.
>
> Also, one of my door rods has a metal clip and one doesn't. How important
> is the clip ?
> What does it do ? What's it called so I can even find another one ?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Susan S.

Go to:
http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/epc.html
Main Grp 8
77 - Door Lock Operating Lever

Part #18 is the spring clip.

One end slides onto the pull rod.
Then the hook on the rod goes into the lever on the lock mech.
Finally, the other end of the clip goes over the end of the hook
to keep it from falling out of the lock lever.

You can experiment to find the lever on the lock mech
which releases the lock.

I couldn't find a good photo of the way the clip goes on;
experiment.

Where get one? Junk yard.
Or, improvise something out of a tuna can:-)

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old June 15th 05, 08:41 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Susan S." > wrote in message
. ..
> Ok, I guess I'm just blind or completely mechanically challenged but I
> can't
> get my stupid door release figured out.
>
> I have the inside door release handle (connects to the outer door metal
> with two bolts)
> which is connected to a long metal rod (large hook into the handle,
> smaller
> hook on the other end)
> which I am assuming attaches to the inside lock somehow. Where I have no
> idea.
>
> Also, one of my door rods has a metal clip and one doesn't. How important
> is the clip ?
> What does it do ? What's it called so I can even find another one ?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Susan S.

Is this why only men are allowed to use the channel changer?
-tom

Old June 16th 05, 02:10 AM
Susan S.

Yes, exactly.......after us women-folk find it, change the battery, turn the
tv on and bring you big strong men a cold drink..........

Oh pleeeeezzzzzeeee,

Susan S.

Old June 16th 05, 02:27 AM
Shag

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:10:30 -0500, "Susan S."
> wrote:

>Yes, exactly.......after us women-folk find it, change the battery, turn the
>tv on and bring you big strong men a cold drink..........
>
>Oh pleeeeezzzzzeeee,
>
>Susan S.

Stop! You're gettin' me all worked up. hahaha!

Old June 16th 05, 07:13 AM
Jan

Hey sounds good to me!

Jan

Susan S. wrote:
> Yes, exactly.......after us women-folk find it, change the battery, turn the
> tv on and bring you big strong men a cold drink..........
>
> Oh pleeeeezzzzzeeee,
>
> Susan S.
>

> "Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message

t...

Old June 17th 05, 10:12 PM
Susan S.

Well, I managed to get the inside door locks on today.

Last night was our Rare Air VW meeting and several people came to my rescue.

Our club president, Wild Bill, brought in a full locking mechanism including
the rod so I could see exactly what I was looking for inside the door.
Showed me what the retaining clip was for, and was nice enough to donate the
clip I needed. Another member took me out to his car and showed me the
door without the door panel on so I knew exactly the set up.

It was a huge help and I could not have done it without them.

Susan S.

. ..