BMW 5 series (E39) business radio removal

Old October 20th 04, 07:33 PM
TrueBlue

Default BMW 5 series (E39) business radio removal

I found in the newsgroups that I can remove the this radio by taking off the
volume knob, inserting a screwdriver into the hole and twisting it to
release.

This I did and the radio came part way out ok. Then it seemed to get stuck
so I pulled a little harder and it came out fully but the power to the radio
went off. Nothing I do will get it back on and I have checked all the
fuses - they are fine.

Any idea what I have done wrong?

Thanks
Bill

Old October 21st 04, 07:02 PM
TrueBlue

Sorted it - pulled a connector apart under the dash when I pulled the cable!

Old June 15th 05, 10:04 PM
repairfrank

THANK YOU for the information on how to remove the BMW radio.... We
found that the proper tool to use is a HEX key (very small) turn it to
the left to release it.

Harmony Hut HiFi Repair Massachusetts

--
repairfrank
repairfrank's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=2105

Old June 16th 05, 01:24 PM
Malt_Hound

repairfrank wrote:
> THANK YOU for the information on how to remove the BMW radio.... We
> found that the proper tool to use is a HEX key (very small) turn it to
> the left to release it.
>
> Harmony Hut HiFi Repair Massachusetts

Actually, if you look closely, it is *not* a hex key, but a 5 sided
proprietary fastener. You may be able to jam a hex key in there or , as
I do, use a small screwdriver jammed in there, or pay the price for the
correct tool from BMW. Since you appear to be a car stereo business,
I'd suggest the latter so you don't bugger up the customer's screws.

-Fred W
Old June 17th 05, 07:55 PM
Don

> Actually, if you look closely, it is *not* a hex key, but a 5 sided
> proprietary fastener. You may be able to jam a hex key in there or , as
> I do, use a small screwdriver jammed in there, or pay the price for the
> correct tool from BMW. Since you appear to be a car stereo business,
> I'd suggest the latter so you don't bugger up the customer's screws.
>
> -Fred W

Actually, if you look closely, it is *not* a 5 sided key - it is now
a standard allen key. Since the E39 radio won't work in any other car
BMW did away with the foolishness of the anti-theft mounting used on
lesser models.

Just thought you might like to know..
Old June 20th 05, 02:30 PM
Malt_Hound

Don wrote:
>> Actually, if you look closely, it is *not* a hex key, but a 5 sided
>> proprietary fastener. You may be able to jam a hex key in there or ,
>> as I do, use a small screwdriver jammed in there, or pay the price for
>> the correct tool from BMW. Since you appear to be a car stereo
>> business, I'd suggest the latter so you don't bugger up the customer's
>> screws.
>>
>> -Fred W

> Actually, if you look closely, it is *not* a 5 sided key - it is now
> a standard allen key. Since the E39 radio won't work in any other car
> BMW did away with the foolishness of the anti-theft mounting used on
> lesser models.
>
> Just thought you might like to know..

Hmmmm. I did not know that.

Thanks,
-Fred W

Radio removal A4 Bear Audi 10 July 1st 09 10:23 PM
BMW 1 series sales figures for Sept. '04 Peter Bozz BMW 7 October 12th 04 12:59 PM
156 Veloce Clarion (black with green display) Radio Removal Zathras Alfa Romeo 3 August 31st 04 09:36 PM
NAV PLUS RADIO bad reception SAPO Audi 4 July 20th 04 10:39 PM
radio is on safe mode bofromtherock Audi 2 May 15th 04 01:33 AM