Engine stalls after 15 seconds idle

Old July 1st 05, 01:21 AM
Richard Lee

Default Engine stalls after 15 seconds idle

Hi. What would be the likely cause of this.

After my 1990 Golf is idling for about 10 seconds, the RPM starts to
go down bit by bit. After about 5 seconds, the engine stalls. On odd
occasions, the idle is smooth for a lot longer than 10 seconds and the
teetering is longer than 5 seconds but eventually the engine always
stalls.

May or may not be relevant: If the car is coasting down an incline
with the clutch in neutral, it stalls quickly and more frequently.
There is a crack somewhere in the exhaust system. Otherwise, the car
is in pretty good shape.

At first I thought it was clogged fuel injectors or some deposits in
the crankcase. I tried cleaners that you add to oil and gasoline. They
have made the idle smoother but the stalling has not improved

Thanks.
Old July 1st 05, 02:21 AM
Joseph Meehan

Richard Lee wrote:
> Hi. What would be the likely cause of this.
>
> After my 1990 Golf is idling for about 10 seconds, the RPM starts to
> go down bit by bit. After about 5 seconds, the engine stalls. On odd
> occasions, the idle is smooth for a lot longer than 10 seconds and the
> teetering is longer than 5 seconds but eventually the engine always
> stalls.
>
> May or may not be relevant: If the car is coasting down an incline
> with the clutch in neutral, it stalls quickly and more frequently.
> There is a crack somewhere in the exhaust system. Otherwise, the car
> is in pretty good shape.
>
> At first I thought it was clogged fuel injectors or some deposits in
> the crankcase. I tried cleaners that you add to oil and gasoline. They
> have made the idle smoother but the stalling has not improved
>
> Thanks.

Do you have any oily black deposits around the tail pipe?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 1st 05, 03:57 AM
Richard Lee

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:21:06 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
> wrote:

> Do you have any oily black deposits around the tail pipe?

No, it's dry and sooty around the inside of the tail pipe suggesting
an overdue oil change.

It should be noted however that as mentioned in my original post there
is a crack somewhere in the exhaust/muffler system. You can hear it.
So if this black oily residue is being produced, it may not be
reaching the tail pipe. However, if the crack is diverting the oily
substance reaching the tail pipe there should be evidence of it in my
usual parking spot. There is no sign of an black oily substance
dripping along the underside.
Old July 1st 05, 12:21 PM
Joseph Meehan

Richard Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:21:06 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
> > wrote:
>
>> Do you have any oily black deposits around the tail pipe?

> No, it's dry and sooty around the inside of the tail pipe suggesting
> an overdue oil change.

I don't know what an overdue oil change would do to cause the soot
deposits, I was just trying to determine if there was evidence of a rich
mixture.

Old July 11th 05, 09:58 PM
Richard Lee

Final report: the problem was corrected with an idle adjustment. The
shop didn't even charge me for it when I brought the car in for an oil
change at the same time.