Grand Prix is overheating - no coolant cycling

Old June 16th 05, 01:29 AM
Shep

Default Grand Prix is overheating - no coolant cycling

You probably are air bound, there should be a bleeder port on the thermo
housing, you must add coolant till the coolant flows freely out of that
port. There may be another one on the coolant pipe other end of engine.

Old June 16th 05, 01:29 AM
James C. Reeves

Air trap, perhaps?

Old June 16th 05, 02:13 AM
Steve B.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:14:35 GMT, it's a gusher >
wrote:

>Hi, we have a 92 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.1, 6 cylinder, auto, a/c.
>The water pump made a worn bearing sound, leaked coolant and showed
>high temperature at the panel. Today I replaced the pump but the car
>still overheats in about 5 minutes of idling.

Since you pulled the thermostat and did the hose test we can assume
their isn't a blockage. Are you sure you have the right water pump
and that the impeller is firmly attached to the shaft? It almost
sounds like your impeller is loose so you aren't getting any water
flow.

Steve B.
Old June 16th 05, 11:06 AM
MasterBlaster

"Steve B." wrote

> >Hi, we have a 92 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.1, 6 cylinder, auto, a/c.
> >The water pump made a worn bearing sound, leaked coolant and showed
> >high temperature at the panel. Today I replaced the pump but the car
> >still overheats in about 5 minutes of idling.

> Since you pulled the thermostat and did the hose test we can assume
> their isn't a blockage. Are you sure you have the right water pump
> and that the impeller is firmly attached to the shaft? It almost
> sounds like your impeller is loose so you aren't getting any water
> flow.

Maybe the old impeller disintegrated and the pieces are blocking the water
passages from the pump? Or was it Ford pumps that did that?

Old June 17th 05, 08:15 PM
big jon

pull the t stat and see if it flows then.

Old June 19th 05, 04:42 AM
Loren McPherson

You didn't put the belt on wrong did you? I've seen it happen with this
engine--the pulley is run off the back side (smooth side) of the belt.
Of course it is possible to have air in the system cause these symptoms
as well.