Which 4x4 Should I buy?

Old May 27th 05, 02:05 PM
COW GIRL

Default Which 4x4 Should I buy?

Old May 27th 05, 11:10 PM
Peter D. Hipson

Hummer H1 (not a H2).

Old May 31st 05, 04:24 AM
Mark D

Depends on how much you're willing to spend?
A Hummer H-1 brand new, you'll have to remortage your house. Not to
mention the absolutely horrible performance, driveability, and gas
mileage these get.

Another no holds barred 4x4 that's also gotta be up there in price,
would be the VW Touareg V-10 Turbo Diesel. 360HP, and 535 ft lbs of
torque. All it is, is a re-badged Porcshe Cayenne. These do come with
either a V-8, or V-6 Gas engine. My 73 year old father just bought
himself a 2005 Touareg with V-6, and says it's an awesome vehicle. Mark

Old May 31st 05, 06:34 AM
Clueless in Sterling

Tell him to stop spending your rightful inheritance or you will be
forced to pull a Menendez on him, Mark! ;^) Boy, wish I could afford
that.

Bryan

Old June 2nd 05, 05:07 PM
Don Heller

This is amazing. The exact same threads go on in my computer
field, and I get questions like this from people. Which computer
should I buy? The answer, of course, is what do you expect to
do with it? Just email and a little web browsing? Heavy word
processing for your writing and school work? Heavy graphics and
speed for gaming? Number crunching for astrophysics modeling?
Download, store, and manage a gazillion images, movies, and songs?
You get the picture. First you pick your application. Then you
find the software that will handle it, and estimate the memory
you need to hold your data. Then you pick a machine that will
host all this without too much overkill, considering portability
and kewl looks.

I've pulled a Jeep Cherokee that was buried up to it's gas tank
out of deep sand. Probably more poor driving than poor equipment.
My choice of 4x4 was a 2002 F-150 FX4, for the combination of
being luxuriously car-like inside, a truck bed for hauling bricks,
furniture, and whatever outside, and a great performer in the sand
where I partly live in Baja. I also have a Zook for putting around
the beach, trips to town, and pulling my fishing boat through the
beach. Many others have Jeeps, but the most popular vehicle in my
area of Baja is the BFWT, or Big "Fine" White Truck, and of course,
many quads. A few Hummers are starting to show up.

Don

Old June 4th 05, 03:42 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy All,
I see the same question in the dog world. What breed should I get?=BF
As far as a 4x4 I lean towards G Wagens and Unimogs. You can pack a
lot of grocries in the back of a Mog ;-)

Frank X. Morris
http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/SalukiCornerChime

Old June 5th 05, 05:47 AM
ATCommander

Can't answer that without a criteria!
Which mountains do you live in? (Colorado "fourteeners" or the
"mountains" of flatland Mississippi?)
Are you hauling horses?
Pulling a camper?
Just hauling kids to soccer games?
How much time do you spend off the pavement?
Do you commute any kind of distance (where you'd stress comfort over
capability)?
How much do you want to spend (are you a Mercedes Gelandewagen type or
a used F-150 type)?
Is gas mileage important?
What kind of cargo are you hauling?
Planning on camping with it? With how many people?
Is it primary transportation or just a fun extra vehicle?
Are you wiggling forest trails?
Will you be rock crawling?
Is performance in dunes/sand important?
Will you be doing water-crossings with it?

SOOOOOOOoooooooooooo many questions need to be answered before anybody
can begin to give you credible suggesitons.

I'd "except" all advice at this point, too! ;-)

- aTC

Old June 5th 05, 08:25 PM

Don't know your situation, or needs. We bought a 2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Best vehicle we have ever owned. Use it all the time in the Yosemite
area, lots of snow, no problems. Then again, to each his own.

Mark

Old July 9th 05, 02:37 AM
ajeeperman

be safe for reasonable price.