Keyless entry

Old November 28th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Keyless entry

I just purchased my first explorer. It is a 1997 4WD automatic. I
have a (possibly dumb) question about keyless entry. The vehicle seems
to have manual locks. Each door and the rear must be hand
locked/unlocked and there is no unlock button for all doors. However
when I went through the owners manual in the back I found a plastic
card from Ford that refers to the keyless entry number for my vehicle.

Is it possible that this vehicle is keyless entry capable already, and
if so how do I get a keyless entry dongle for my Explorer?

i realize that being a used car, it's possilbe this is not the original
owners manual/info but thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks,
Chris

Old November 28th 05, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

ChrisC wrote:
> I just purchased my first explorer. It is a 1997 4WD automatic. I
> have a (possibly dumb) question about keyless entry. The vehicle seems
> to have manual locks. Each door and the rear must be hand
> locked/unlocked and there is no unlock button for all doors. However
> when I went through the owners manual in the back I found a plastic
> card from Ford that refers to the keyless entry number for my vehicle.
>
> Is it possible that this vehicle is keyless entry capable already, and
> if so how do I get a keyless entry dongle for my Explorer?
>
> i realize that being a used car, it's possilbe this is not the original
> owners manual/info but thought I'd give it a shot.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

On mine, it has a keypad on the door that the number on that card
unlocks. Do you have the keypad?
FM
Old November 28th 05, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

No keypad. This vehicle doesn't have power windows or mirrors (does
have cruise) so I assumed it didn't have keyless either...until I saw
that keycode.

-Chris

Old November 29th 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

If the car doesn't have power locks, it will not have keyless entry...

oups.com...

Old November 29th 05, 10:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I also bought a used 1996 Explorer that has power locks. No keypad.
Is it possible I have keyless entry? How do I check?

thanks!!

Old November 29th 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"ChrisC" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> No keypad. This vehicle doesn't have power windows or mirrors (does
> have cruise) so I assumed it didn't have keyless either...until I saw
> that keycode.
>
> -Chris

I also bought a used '97 and it does have power door locks but no keypad and
I would like to know how to determine if it has remote keyless entry.
Someone suggested a procedure that was a combination of turning the ignition
key and pushing the door lock button in a certain sequence but I got the
impression from the owner's manual that it was for power seat memory and not
remote codes. I don't have power seats.

Old November 30th 05, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Ulysses wrote:
> "ChrisC" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > No keypad. This vehicle doesn't have power windows or mirrors (does
> > have cruise) so I assumed it didn't have keyless either...until I saw
> > that keycode.
> >
> > -Chris
> >

> I also bought a used '97 and it does have power door locks but no keypad and
> I would like to know how to determine if it has remote keyless entry.
> Someone suggested a procedure that was a combination of turning the ignition
> key and pushing the door lock button in a certain sequence but I got the
> impression from the owner's manual that it was for power seat memory and not
> remote codes. I don't have power seats.

If there are no electric door solenoids to lock/unlock the doors, how
can you even consider the posibility of remote operation. Ford doesn't
use PFM only airplanes use PFM!