Question about E85 gas in California?

Old September 25th 05, 12:10 AM
ephines

Default Question about E85 gas in California?

Has any body used any of the E85 mixes in the 4.7L

Old September 25th 05, 01:01 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Is your car a flexible-fuel vehicle?:
http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php
Want to use one-third more ethanol to travel the same distance as
gasoline?:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/afvs/vehicl...s/ethanol.html
Want the U.S. of A. to use up to six times the energy in petroleum to
produce ethanol:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NG1VDF6EM1.DTL
Want to pay the extra taxes ethanol cost in subsidies?:
http://www.taxpayer.net/energy/ethanol.htm
Every notice a troll never has the guts to sign, let alone use a
real name and address?
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 25th 05, 06:29 AM
Bret Ludwig

What is ethanol?
picture showing corn

Ethanol, or ethyl alcohol, has the chemical formula C2H5OH. While most
familiar as the form of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, ethanol
also makes an effective motor fuel, with decades of motor fuel
application experience in the United States and other countries.

How is ethanol being used as transportationfuel?

Most ethanol used for fuel is being blended intog asoline at
concentrations of five to 10 percent. Ethanol has replaced methyl
tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) as agasoline component in California, and
more than 95 percent of the gasoline supplied in the state today
contains 6 percent ethanol. There is a small but growing market for E85
fuel (85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline) for use in flexible
fuel vehicles (FFVs), several million of which have been produced by
U.S. automakers. Ethanol is also being used to formulate a blend with
diesel fuel, known as "E-Diesel", and as a replacement for leaded
aviation gasoline in small aircraft.

What are ethanol's characteristics as a motorfuel?
picture showing E85 ethanol fuel pump

Ethanol's lower volumetric energy content means that about one-third
more ethanol is required to travel the same distance as on gasoline.
But other ethanol fuel characteristics, including a high octane rating,
result in increased engine efficiency and performance. The 15 percent
gasoline used to formulate E85 is to assure cold weather engine
starting and to enhance flame luminosity in case of fire. In
low-percentage blends with gasoline, ethanol results in increased vapor
pressure, which can be adjusted for in the fuel formulation process
and/or controlled with on-board vehicle systems. All gasoline vehicles
in use in the U.S. today can accept gasoline blended with up to 10
percent ethanol (sometimes called gasohol). FFVs are built with special
fuel system components designed to be compatible with higher ethanol
concentrations and operate properly on any E85/gasoline mixture.

How and where is ethanol produced?

Today's expanding U.S. fuel ethanol industry uses mostly corn, which is
processed via fermentation and distillation to produce ethanol, animal
feed, and other by products. Midwestern states,including Iowa,
Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska are the largest ethanol-producing
states; however, there is some ethanol production in twenty states.
Californiac urrently has two small ethanol producers, Parallel Products
in Rancho Cucamonga, and Golden Cheese in Corona, both of which make
ethanol from food and beverage industry residuals. Several new, larger
projects are underway to produce ethanol from corn. Brazil is the
world's top ethanol producer, using sugar cane as the feedstock.

What new ethanol sources are being pursued?

More U.S. states and foreign countries are becoming ethanol producers,
employing traditional crop feedstocks and processes. In addition, new
technologies for producing ethanol from agricultural, forestry, and
municipal wastes and residues are thef ocus of major research and
development efforts in the U.S. and other countries. Future ethanol
production projects are being planned in California using agricultural
crops such as sugar cane, and eventually, various waste and residual
feedstocks when technologies for processing these materials become
commercially available.

What are the economics of ethanol compared to gasoline?
picture showing E85 vehicles

The cost of producing ethanol remains significantly higher than the
cost of producing fuels from petroleum. The U.S. Government, since
1978, has applied tax incentives intended to make ethanol competitive
with gasoline in the motor fuel marketplace. Continued progress with
both conventional and advanced ethanol production technologies could
someday result in ethanol production costs competitive with petroleum
fuels.

What are ethanol's environmental characteristics?

Produced renewably from agricultural crops or from recycled wastes and
residues, ethanol used as motor fuel offers a way to reduce greenhouse
gas emissions from transportation sources. With respect to other motor
vehicle emissions, differences between ethanol and gasoline are
becoming less significant as new motor vehicles are produced withe
xtremely low emission levels on all fuels. California's replacement of
MTBE with ethanol was based on a determination that ethanol presents
less of a pollution risk to drinking water sources.

How is ethanol fuel transported, stored and distributed?

Most of California's current ethanol fuel supply isd elivered from the
producing states via standard rail tank cars, with some import
shipments via marine vessels. It is then stored at fuel terminals and
added to gasoline when tank trucks are filled for delivery to fueling
stations, where it is stored and dispensedt he same as
non-ethanolgasoline.

E85 dispensers require use of upgraded materials compatible with
ethanol's chemical properties. Also, due to certain ethanol properties,
fuel transport pipelines in the U.S. do not currently ship ethanol or
gasoline containing ethanol, although experience in Brazil and
elsewhere indicates that pipeline shipment can be feasible. To prevent
diversion for human consumption, federal regulations require ethanol
produced for fuel use to have a denaturant (usually gasoline) added
before shipping.
Commission Homepage | Site Index | Search Site | Glossary | Links |

E85 is used by Hot Rodders, Bracket Racers and Motorcycle Tuners for
20% better performance in non-emissions controlled carbureted or
mechanical FI applications too, but they don't say that. Ethyl alcohol
makes more power than Gasoline.

Old September 25th 05, 11:13 AM
Earle Horton

All that, and a refreshing breakfast drink too!

Earle

oups.com...

Old September 26th 05, 12:15 AM
Bret Ludwig

Earle Horton wrote:
> All that, and a refreshing breakfast drink too!

If you want to go blind. The ethanol is Specially Denatured with
methanol and aviation gasoline before it gets to the tank truck, and
_then_ they add the 15% gasoline. What was that 50's drink craze which
was a highball with DDT added, that Hughes must have had a couple too
many of??

Old September 28th 05, 09:04 PM
Erinn Hines

Thank You for the Info.