Steve Smith, what do you think of GTL?

Old August 20th 05, 01:32 AM
whooo

Default Steve Smith, what do you think of GTL?

I've always found Steve's views on simracing very interesting and
informative. Does he still post here?
Old August 20th 05, 01:39 AM
reggie white

whooo wrote:
> I've always found Steve's views on simracing very interesting and
> informative. Does he still post here?

stfu
Old August 20th 05, 01:53 AM
whooo

reggie white wrote:
> whooo wrote:
>
>> I've always found Steve's views on simracing very interesting and
>> informative. Does he still post here?

> stfu

The poor boy is even worse at spelling than we first thought! One four
letter word, and the little chap has only got one letter right! Back to
school, Reginald. Assuming you ever went to one in the first place.
Old August 20th 05, 01:55 AM
Dave Henrie

whooo > wrote in news:4SuNe.15172$Mf6.8489@newsfe2-
gui.ntli.net:

> I've always found Steve's views on simracing very interesting and
> informative. Does he still post here?

sssh...last I saw Steve, he was posting on RSC in the GTR forums.

dave henrie
Old August 20th 05, 02:35 AM

I'm also a Steve Smith fan.

Old August 20th 05, 04:16 AM
Steve Simpson

> I've always found Steve's views on simracing very interesting and
> informative. Does he still post here?

Well, I'm a Steve and here's my view

Pros
====

+ probably the best tire model ever in a sim
+ probably the best AI ever in a sim
+ impressive lighting - headlights, realtime sun movement etc
+ virtual driver is nicely done if you're a GPL 'arms' fan.
+ driver's feet modelled
+ stunning 3D modelling - particularly cockpits
+ style of cars make for close, exciting racing
+ most of the other things that are good about GTR

Cons
====

- doesn't have the new rFactor replay editing studio - same old
- multiplayer is still an unknown quanity (are they hiding it again?)
- starforce (not an issue for me but bothers some people)
- cars may not appeal to younger sim racers
Old August 20th 05, 08:17 AM
whooo

Steve Simpson wrote:
>> I've always found Steve's views on simracing very interesting and
>> informative. Does he still post here?

> Well, I'm a Steve and here's my view
>
> Pros
> ====
>
> + probably the best tire model ever in a sim
> + probably the best AI ever in a sim
> + impressive lighting - headlights, realtime sun movement etc
> + virtual driver is nicely done if you're a GPL 'arms' fan.
> + driver's feet modelled
> + stunning 3D modelling - particularly cockpits
> + style of cars make for close, exciting racing
> + most of the other things that are good about GTR
>
> Cons
> ====
>
> - doesn't have the new rFactor replay editing studio - same old
> - multiplayer is still an unknown quanity (are they hiding it again?)
> - starforce (not an issue for me but bothers some people)
> - cars may not appeal to younger sim racers

Thanks, Steve. The multiplayer will decide it for me. But even if MP is
good, why oh why no old tracks? I guess we'll have to trust in the
modders for those.
Old August 23rd 05, 03:28 AM
Alan Le

>Thanks, Steve. The multiplayer will decide it for me. But even if MP is
> good, why oh why no old tracks? I guess we'll have to trust in the
> modders for those.

My guess? It's because the tracks don't exist anymore. Seriously. When
you consider how they go on about how meticulously they recreated small
details for current tracks (e.g. bumps), old tracks don't make sense,
because they don't fit. How do you get GPS and telemetry data for something
that no longer exists? They could still do it, but IMHO it'd probably be an
add-on. Otherwise, that whole accurate down to the bumps thing can't go on
the box.

I know, I know.... a lot of you don't care about that last bit.

Alan

Old August 23rd 05, 06:31 AM
Bruce Kennewell

Do you realise that what you've written makes absolutely no sense at all?
Let's take the Nurburgring Nordschliefe for starters; it DOES exist. In
fact, it is possible to travel around what once was the entire circuit.

Then let's have a look at Spa, pre Bernie Ecclestone.
The road system ALSO exists, so accurate mapping is certainly plausible.

And you're quite correct........not too many of we old curmudgeons would
give a rat's arse about the meticulous recreation of small details such as
bumps, for Christ's sake! Seriously.

Bruce

.. .

Old August 23rd 05, 07:03 AM

I'm pretty sure half the tracks didn't exist in GPL... there's enough
historical data that these tracks can be recreated. This is old old
news for anyone who's driven simulators for an length of time...
certainly back to 1998!

T.