dreaded oil thread

Old March 8th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default dreaded oil thread

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> I wonder how many Miatas are driven in weather colder than -20??

With the top up or down?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old March 9th 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

"Not if broken in properly"

That's the subject of--

The dreaded break-in thread!

<G>

Anyway, Back when GM was going to build a Wankel engine--
Initially, the apex? seals were a major problem, so the engineers came up
with a new design that was shown by testing to last far longer.
Management decided that the engine life would be too long, and told the
engineers to try again.
Then, to top the whole thing off, the engine would have to be re-designed
again to meed the emission standards that were to go into effect.
GM elected to kill the project, and converted the brand new plant from
Wankel engines to small in line engines, such as the one used in the Vegas.
(Another disaster!)

. ..

Old March 9th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

>> I wonder how many Miatas are driven in weather colder than -20??
>
> With the top up or down?

Doesn't matter as long as you KEEP it up or down until it's over 48.

miker

Old March 9th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Chuck" > wrote:

> "Not if broken in properly"
>
> That's the subject of--
>
> The dreaded break-in thread!
>
> <G>

Is it time for the dreaded tire thread now?

> Anyway, Back when GM was going to build a Wankel engine--
> Initially, the apex? seals were a major problem, so the engineers
> came up with a new design that was shown by testing to last far
> longer. Management decided that the engine life would be too long,
> and told the engineers to try again.

Urban legend.

Old March 9th 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"miker" > wrote:

> Doesn't matter as long as you KEEP it up or down until it's over 48.

I never had any trouble getting it up until I was over 70.... oh, you
meant the top. Never mind....

Old March 9th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> Is it time for the dreaded tire thread now?

Nope. The Dreaded Intake Thread comes first.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old March 9th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2009-03-08, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> My manual says 10W-30.
>>
>> and 5W-30 in winter, right?

> According to the owner's manual, 10W-30 is recommended down to -20?F.
> 5W-30 is only recommended (presumably to ease the cold-starting load) if
> the temperature won't exceed 32?F before the next oil change. I wonder
> how many Miatas are driven in weather colder than -20??

Mine is. It doesn't get below -20F very ofthen or for very
long, but it's been there.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I feel like I'm
at in a Toilet Bowl with a
Old March 10th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> According to the owner's manual, 10W-30 is recommended down to -20?F.
> 5W-30 is only recommended (presumably to ease the cold-starting load) if
> the temperature won't exceed 32?F before the next oil change. I wonder
> how many Miatas are driven in weather colder than -20??

What oil weight would you run in a turbo that is going to be run in
temps that range from semi-warm to extremely hot?

I am using Mobile One 10W-30 now. Would a heavier oil be of any benefit
during the hotter part of the year?

Thanks,

Pat

Old March 10th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>
>> According to the owner's manual, 10W-30 is recommended down to
>> -20?F. 5W-30 is only recommended (presumably to ease the
>> cold-starting load) if the temperature won't exceed 32?F before
>> the next oil change. I wonder how many Miatas are driven in
>> weather colder than -20??

> What oil weight would you run in a turbo that is going to be run
> in temps that range from semi-warm to extremely hot?
>
> I am using Mobile One 10W-30 now. Would a heavier oil be of any
> benefit during the hotter part of the year?

I doubt it, stick with the recommended.

Old March 10th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> I doubt it, stick with the recommended.

That is what I figured, 10-30W has always served me well.

BTW, have you checked this Miata out? 1993 model, last year of the 1.6
liter engines in America. Your color, white, and with an automatic
transmission.

http://tinyurl.com/cxz2uk

It's a bit pricey for a 1993 model, but it would probably look nice
sitting in your driveway with your white wheels mounted on it. :-)

36,000 miles on a 1993 model is pretty nifty if the various seals are in
good shape.
That's about 2200 miles a year, not bad for a weekend toy, not good if
it sat for years and/or rarely had the A/C run.

Pat