E39 Police Cars in London

Old January 26th 05, 12:37 AM
Alistair J Murray

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

[...]

> Curiously I don't recollect seeing Merc police cars in the UK.

Lothian and Borders, Fife and Grampian all use Mercs, including E430.

Old January 26th 05, 11:47 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Just for you, I'll do it this way, but don't expect me to 'bottom-post' in
general...

See below.

DAS
---

"Grant" > wrote in message
> "Dori A Schmetterling" wrote in message
>

>> Didn't Thames Valley Police pioneer this?

> Don't think so. They've been (100%?) Vauxhall for normal cars as long as I
> can remember.

DAS: I meant for motorways.

>> (Thames Valley is a region west of London.)

> Except the bit that's not. Or has someone moved Milton Keynes?

DAS: I don't think the majority of the participants here (LA, Toronto and a
few other places in North America) want or need to know about the exact
demarcation of Thames Valley and the location of Milton Keynes...(and its
cow bushes)... :-)

www.ukpolicecars.co.uk (Google

Old January 26th 05, 11:51 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Also re John Burns's comment: I don't get north of the border that much.
However, maybe my powers of observation/recall are racing towards
decrepitude as in 2003 I spent five days in Glasgow and don't remember the
police cars. Even drove there up the west coast and home via Jedburgh down
the east coast.

DAS
---

Old January 26th 05, 11:54 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Well, would you expect European police to drive Crown Victorias...?... Just
because they see them on TV...?...

DAS
---

> wrote in message
oups.com...
[..]

Old January 26th 05, 01:39 PM
Badger

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Also re John Burns's comment: I don't get north of the border that much.
> However, maybe my powers of observation/recall are racing towards
> decrepitude as in 2003 I spent five days in Glasgow and don't remember the
> police cars. Even drove there up the west coast and home via Jedburgh
> down the east coast.
>
> DAS
> --

Strathclyde cops took 2 of them across to the isle of mull last october to
help police the tour of mull rally, a 525 and a 530d.
Badger.

Old January 26th 05, 03:44 PM
Father Ted

"Andrew Thomas" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Father Ted wrote:
>
>> they are unbadged 520i's.
>> They are used as area cars - not designated pursuit vehicles.
>> They can be used initially in pursuits, but these are then given over

>> traffic department officers as soon as practible.

> Not quite sure where you got that from.

My Job - am a Met Sergeant. One of my closest pals is also an advanced
course driving instuctor.
All 'Area Cars' are 520's. There may be other models available, but not on
'division'

All Met Police and City of

Old January 26th 05, 03:49 PM
Neil

[top posting fixed]
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> [..]
> > deleted. Having travled elsewhere in Europe I am familiar with the
> > concept of various grades of vehicles being used as police cars (e.g.,
> > Italian Carabineri driving Fiat Pandas on up to nice Alfas), but I
> > wonder if some of the UK readers could weigh in. In the U.S., just
> > about all police departments have just one type of car, the Ford Crown
> > Victoria, which is a large V8 rear-driver, for all personnel and all
> > purposes.

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Well, would you expect European police to drive Crown Victorias...?...

Just
> because they see them on TV...?...
>
> DAS
> --

uhhh...I think the point was that in the US there is less variety in the
types of vehices used by the Police, than is the case in the UK.

Old January 26th 05, 04:04 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

See below (Grant)

DAS
---

"Grant" > wrote in message
> "Dori A Schmetterling" wrote in message
>
>>> "Grant" > wrote in message

>> Just for you, I'll do it this way, but don't expect me to
>> 'bottom-post' in general...

> Grrr. You talk a lot of sense. I wish you'd see the light.

DAS: I do? That's the nicest thing anybody has said to me all year...

>>> Don't think so. They've been (100%?) Vauxhall for normal cars as
>>> long as I can remember.

>> DAS: I meant for motorways.

> Me too. I still see only Omegas on their M4 patch.

DAS: It looks like you are right, certainly as regards today.
http://www.ukpolicecars.co.uk/

Great website somebody posted earlier in this thread.
I just thought I had read about it some time ago. Maybe BMW bikes?

>> DAS: I don't think the majority of the participants here (LA,
>> Toronto and a few other places in North America) want or need to know
>> about the exact demarcation of Thames Valley and the location of
>> Milton Keynes...(and its cow bushes)... :-)

> Heh. Why not? We have to put up with their requests for the best garage in
> Orange County and suchlike

DAS: Again, you're right, so Milton Keynes is approx NNW of London up the
M1 motorway... but it still does not pass any so what? test. However,
perhaps we can ask about a decent garage in Bletchley, just outside Milton
Keynes?....

Old January 26th 05, 04:06 PM

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:
> Well, would you expect European police to drive Crown

Victorias...?... Just
> because they see them on TV...?...
>
> DAS
> For direct contact replace nospam with schmetterling
> ---

No. Especially having driven one a few times! My point is only that in
a number of European countries, the police seem to diversify their
fleets more broadly than in the US and Canada, an interesting practice
to some of us on this side of the pond. Here such a suggestion would
likely be met by incredulous stares from the fleet manager who likes to
stock one size of tire, one weight of oil, etc.