Is it worth it?

Old February 27th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jerryg

Default Is it worth it?

I just bought an 86 Cherokee. I recently started to remove the
interior and carpet and discovered the front floor pans were shot as
well as two spots behind the front seats. How do I decide whether the
vehicle is worth repairing. It looks as though the whole underside is
fairly corroded. The engine is fairly new(2.5L)less than 25,000 mi on
a new long block. The body is in great shape. How long will this thing
last if I replace the floor pans? It runs great, has a three inch
lift, and near new 30x9.5 bfg all terrains on it. Is it worth it? What
axles does this thing have under it?

Thanks,

Greg

Old February 27th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

On Feb 26, 7:44 pm, "jerryg" > wrote:
> I just bought an 86 Cherokee. I recently started to remove the
> interior and carpet and discovered the front floor pans were shot as
> well as two spots behind the front seats. How do I decide whether the
> vehicle is worth repairing. It looks as though the whole underside is
> fairly corroded. The engine is fairly new(2.5L)less than 25,000 mi on
> a new long block. The body is in great shape. How long will this thing
> last if I replace the floor pans? It runs great, has a three inch
> lift, and near new 30x9.5 bfg all terrains on it. Is it worth it? What
> axles does this thing have under it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Greg,

Since your Jeep has a frame (i.e. it's not a unibody), you should be
able to take it to a welding shop and have them weld on new floor pans
for well under $200.

Michael

Old February 27th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jerryg

On Feb 26, 8:53 pm, wrote:
> On Feb 26, 7:44 pm, "jerryg" > wrote:
>
> > I just bought an 86 Cherokee. I recently started to remove the
> > interior and carpet and discovered the front floor pans were shot as
> > well as two spots behind the front seats. How do I decide whether the
> > vehicle is worth repairing. It looks as though the whole underside is
> > fairly corroded. The engine is fairly new(2.5L)less than 25,000 mi on
> > a new long block. The body is in great shape. How long will this thing
> > last if I replace the floor pans? It runs great, has a three inch
> > lift, and near new 30x9.5 bfg all terrains on it. Is it worth it? What
> > axles does this thing have under it?

> > Thanks,

> > Greg

> Greg,
>
> Since your Jeep has a frame (i.e. it's not a unibody), you should be
> able to take it to a welding shop and have them weld on new floor pans
> for well under $200.
>
> Michael

Thanks Mike, I am going to look into it.

Greg

Old February 27th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

If its an 86 Cherokee with the 2.5L it does not have a frame, it is a
unibody.

Carl

oups.com...

Old February 27th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 26, 7:44 pm, "jerryg" > wrote:
>> I just bought an 86 Cherokee.

> Greg,
>
> Since your Jeep has a frame (i.e. it's not a unibody), you should be
> able to take it to a welding shop and have them weld on new floor pans
> for well under $200.
>
> Michael

'86 Cherokee with a 2.5L engine should be an XJ, in which case it kinda is
unibody, they called it "uniframe." The frame members are part of the body.
His rusty spots are pretty typical.

Old February 27th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jerryg

On Feb 26, 9:06 pm, "Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...> On Feb 26, 7:44 pm, "jerryg" > wrote:
> >> I just bought an 86 Cherokee.

> > Greg,

> > Since your Jeep has a frame (i.e. it's not a unibody), you should be
> > able to take it to a welding shop and have them weld on new floor pans
> > for well under $200.

> > Michael

> '86 Cherokee with a 2.5L engine should be an XJ, in which case it kinda is
> unibody, they called it "uniframe." The frame members are part of the body.
> His rusty spots are pretty typical.

Yes, Its not a frame like my YJ, its a u shaped thing with the body
attached to it. The whole underside is pretty much shot. Take what
parts I can and scrap the rest? It has a 2.5" old man emu lift. The
body is in real good shape, but the inderside is shot. What to do?

Greg

Old February 27th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

Sell me the lift :-D

Carl

ps.com...

Old February 27th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jerryg

On Feb 26, 9:31 pm, "Carl S" > wrote:
> Sell me the lift :-D
>
> Carl
>
> "jerryg" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...

> groups.com...> On Feb 26,

> >> '86 Cherokee with a 2.5L engine should be an XJ, in which case it kinda
> >> is
> >> unibody, they called it "uniframe." The frame members are part of the
> >> body.
> >> His rusty spots are pretty typical.

> > Yes, Its not a frame like my YJ, its a u shaped thing with the body
> > attached to it. The whole underside is pretty much shot. Take what
> > parts I can and scrap the rest? It has a 2.5" old man emu lift. The
> > body is in real good shape, but the inderside is shot. What to do?

> > Greg- Hide quoted text -

I think I am going to take the wheels and get rid of the rest. Does it
sound like its worth repairing? I can send pics.

Greg

Old February 27th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jerryg

On Feb 26, 7:44 pm, "jerryg" > wrote:
> I just bought an 86 Cherokee. I recently started to remove the
> interior and carpet and discovered the front floor pans were shot as
> well as two spots behind the front seats. How do I decide whether the
> vehicle is worth repairing. It looks as though the whole underside is
> fairly corroded. The engine is fairly new(2.5L)less than 25,000 mi on
> a new long block. The body is in great shape. How long will this thing
> last if I replace the floor pans? It runs great, has a three inch
> lift, and near new 30x9.5 bfg all terrains on it. Is it worth it? What
> axles does this thing have under it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

My bad, 2.5" lift