D-C might become just D and C.

Old February 14th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton

Default D-C might become just D and C.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...kmg&refer=home

Selected highlights:

<q> DaimlerChrysler AG may sell or seek partners for its unprofitable
Chrysler division, abandoning its vision of building a successful carmaker
that sold luxury Mercedes-Benz sedans as well as Dodge pickup trucks.</q>

<q>``We want to ensure that the core of Daimler can be protected from a
possible financial downwards spiral at Chrysler,'</q>

<q> Renault and Nissan may be a possible partner for Chrysler, </q>

<q> Former Chief Executive Schrempp was heckled at most of the annual
meetings by investors who demanded he sell the division.</q>

<q> DaimlerChrysler is in talks with General Motors to sell Chrysler to
the world's largest carmaker, Manager Magazine reported, citing
unidentified company sources. The talks are at ``an early stage,'' it
said. </q>

--
"We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."

Old February 14th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

OMG! GM Talks? Doesn't GM make the Hummer? For all those who were
bashing the Germans for what they've done to Jeep just imagine what the
manufacturers of the Hummer will do to Jeep.

"DaimlerChrysler is in talks with General Motors to sell Chrysler to the
world's largest carmaker, Manager Magazin reported, citing unidentified
company sources. The talks are at ``an early stage,'' it said.

Zetsche, during the press conference, declined to comment on the report.
GM spokeswoman Renee Rashid-Merem had no comment."

Lee Ayrton wrote:

> <q> DaimlerChrysler is in talks with General Motors to sell Chrysler to
> the world's largest carmaker, Manager Magazine reported, citing
> unidentified company sources. The talks are at ``an early stage,'' it
> said. </q>

FRH
Old February 14th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

I doubt it, the reports in the Detroit news have been to the contrary. It
comes from pressure from the European shareholders to dump Chrysler but I
don't think they will.

.com...

Old February 14th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clap Trap

Wouldn't it be great if Jeep broke off and became its own entity again?
Maybe then we could dump the libby, IFS, and get a small Jeep again.

Wishful thinking I know. Sigh...
Old February 15th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

I ran across this...

Report: GM in talks to buy Chrysler

Dale Jewett | | Automotive News / February 14, 2007 - 4:39 pm

DaimlerChrysler is reportedly talking with General Motors about the
possibility of GM's buying the Chrysler group, according to the German
magazine Manager Magazin.

The magazine cited company sources as saying the talks were in full
swing but still at an early stage.

The report came today as DaimlerChrysler AG said it was open to all
options for the Chrysler group. Chrysler today unveiled a restructuring
plan
as it posted a $1.47 billion loss for 2006. That plan calls for cutting
13,000 jobs in the United States and Canada by 2009.

DaimlerChrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche declined to comment on the report.

"I cannot and will not go into any further details," Zetsche told
reporters in Detroit, where he announced the automaker's 2006 results.

A GM spokeswoman also declined to comment on the report.

DaimlerChrysler has retained JPMorgan Chase & Co. to consider
options
for the Chrysler group, the Detroit News reported this afternoon.

In a report on its Web site, the newspaper quoted unidentified
company
sources as saying the automaker had hired the investment bank.

No mention of Jeep...
Old February 15th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

I wonder what is the smallest size a viable car company in the current
US market is? Would an independent Jeep be able to survive on it's own?

Somehow I doubt it, and if it DID it would really have to be a privately
held company, otherwise someone would swallow it up.

For Jeep to be a successful company all on it's own I think it would
either need someone or a small group of people with very deep pockets.

Hmm, wonder what Bill Gates drives?

Jeff DeWitt

Old February 15th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

"Jeff DeWitt" > wrote in message
..

> Hmm, wonder what Bill Gates drives?
>
> Jeff DeWitt

I'd guess Mercedes.

Imagine Jeep by Microsoft! I shudder at the thought...you'd have to reboot
the ECM every other day.

Old February 15th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

I wouldn't mind if Ford buys Jeep, then they can use the JK platform for a
real return of the SWB Bronco...

But Ford is having its own problems. GM, too. Neither one of them is in the
financial position to buy Chrysler, so I take these reports with a liberal
grain of salt.

Old February 15th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Coasty

ABC this morning said GM is look into acquiring Chrysler and combining
their design facilities.

Coasty

.com...

Old February 15th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Tom Greening

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
> I wouldn't mind if Ford buys Jeep, then they can use the JK platform for a
> real return of the SWB Bronco...
>
> But Ford is having its own problems. GM, too. Neither one of them is in the
> financial position to buy Chrysler, so I take these reports with a liberal
> grain of salt.

Not necessarily. It IS possible to take two ailing companies and turn
them into one profitable one. That's all GM would need to do is prove
that their acquisition of DC would put the resulting company in the
black and the banks will go for it.

Facility mergers, man power consolidation, product line trimmings and
such could conceivably make GM a stronger and profitable entity again.
That's not to say it WILL, only that it is possible for a weak company
to buy a weak competitor and come out strong in the end.