SILLY QUESTION -- JUST NEED AN OPINION FROM EVERYONE

Old April 11th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Heatwave

Default SILLY QUESTION -- JUST NEED AN OPINION FROM EVERYONE

In article >,
says...
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:25:09 -0400, Heatwave
> > wrote:

> >In article om>,
> says...
> >>
> >> Kentrol is known for stainless that lasts.

[snips]

> hi all,
> 304 SS is also known as muffler stainless, it isn't a high grade of
> stainless steel, it is pretty soft (as SS goes), it is easily machined
> (especially with an L alloyed in) or formed / bent. corrosion
> resistance (penetration resistance) is pretty good but for cosmetic
> applications it won't hold a high polish or resist scratches.
>
> most u.s. built cars / trucks with SS exhaust systems use 304 SS.
>
> it will not however red rust or white corrode which would already be a
> big improvement over the hinges and mirror brackets on my TJ.
>
> reboot

I use 304 for my chopper parts and they seem to hold a polish. I googled
Kentrol + 304 and found Kentrol uses a lot of 304 stainless. I just
thought I'd say if you are looking for stainless parts and they don't
state "304" stainless you might want to stay clear of them so you don't
run into the same problem Mike did. 316 is another good alloy of
stainless...if you ever see parts made from it.
Old April 11th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

316 Stainless is the alloy most used on the parts we make for the local
shipyard here, obviously for corrosion resistance. The corrosion
resistance is superior to most other stainless alloys, but expect to pay
for it. Not only is the metal more expensive, it is a bitch to machine
compared to 303 or 304. This stuff will wear out carbide tooling in our
CNC lathe easily 5 times faster than 303/304 will.

Chris

Old April 11th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
FrankW

Old April 11th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SkyKing49

On Apr 10, 1:32 pm, "Tracie" > wrote:
> I am going to be replacing the windshield hinges, upper and lower door
> hinges, and hood hinges on my 2006WranglerX (just to prevent rust in
> the future). I am torn between getting the 304 stainless steel with
> the high polished mirror finish or the black chrome finish over the
> 304 stainless steel. My jeep is the Midnight Blue metallic (navy
> blue) color. Which one would look better? I also am going to be
> putting on nerf bars (preferably stainless) and would also like to
> install the euro guard headlight/side marker/parking/tail light guards
> but I am not sure which color of these yet (depends on the color of
> all the hinges). Anyone have any suggestions or know anything about
> the black chrome (i.e. does it flake, chip, peel, etc.)? Any comments
> would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

I own the same vehicle. Go all out and buy a grille cover and vent
cover. I also bought a new front bumper with the plastic inserts for
the ends..new tire cover..new bikini top and deck cover. Oh yes..and
new tow hooks. I am not going to be doing any serious off-roading
until my Jeep gets old but to do trail rides in Ct. you must have tow
hooks. Oh...and some Back Off mud guards.

Old April 12th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Tom Greening

Earle Horton wrote:
> stainless. You will love them. Much better than the Allen head joke screws
> you get with stainless parts.
>
> There is no such thing as "black chrome". The black hinges and such are
> powder coated. This stuff chips and comes off unless it is primed right at
> the factory, and sometimes even then.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Earle

Actually, yes there is. While the hinges and such in question might be
powder coated, black chrome does in fact exist.
Old April 12th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

"Tom Greening" > wrote in message
> Earle Horton wrote:
> > stainless. You will love them. Much better than the Allen head joke

screws
> > you get with stainless parts.
> >
> > There is no such thing as "black chrome". The black hinges and such are
> > powder coated. This stuff chips and comes off unless it is primed right

at
> > the factory, and sometimes even then.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Earle
> >

> Actually, yes there is. While the hinges and such in question might be
> powder coated, black chrome does in fact exist.

Not in 4wd parts catalogs though.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Earle

Old April 12th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Doors? Real Jeeps don't have no stinkin' doors!
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

. ..

Old April 12th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Tracie

On Apr 11, 8:46 pm, "Earle Horton" > wrote:
> "Tom Greening" > wrote in message

> > Earle Horton wrote:
> > > stainless. You will love them. Much better than the Allen head joke

> screws
> > > you get with stainless parts.

> > > There is no such thing as "black chrome". The black hinges and such are
> > > powder coated. This stuff chips and comes off unless it is primed right

> at
> > > the factory, and sometimes even then.

> > > Good luck.

> > > Earle

> > Actually, yes there is. While the hinges and such in question might be
> > powder coated, black chrome does in fact exist.

> Not in 4wd parts catalogs though.
>
> Thanks, didn't know that.
>
> Earle- Hide quoted text -

Yes it is. I found it in JC Whitney