DaimlerChrysler ending diesel Liberty, offering diesel Grand Cherokee

Old June 5th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default DaimlerChrysler ending diesel Liberty, offering diesel Grand Cherokee

DaimlerChrysler ending diesel Liberty, offering diesel Grand
Cherokee
Posted 6/5/2006 10:48 AM ET

DETROIT (AP) - Less than a week after announcing plans to offer a
diesel-powered Grand Cherokee sport-utility vehicle in the United States,
DaimlerChrysler's (DCX) Chrysler Group said it is ending production of the
diesel version of its small Jeep Liberty SUV.
The Liberty's diesel engine doesn't meet tougher federal emissions
standards taking effect next year, and Chrysler said it wasn't
cost-effective to replace it with a newer version.

"Our initial plan was always to offer a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel as
long as the Jeep Liberty diesel tested well" among consumers, Chrysler
spokeswoman Dianna Gutierrez said Monday. "It's still a strong seller, it's
got great benefits to it - better fuel economy, more towing power ... but
emissions standards for 2007 became more stringent."

Chrysler has opted to not develop a cleaner diesel engine for the
Liberty, Gutierrez said. "We couldn't make a credible business case for such
an investment, especially for a limited production number of vehicles."

Sales of the Liberty diesel have exceeded Chrysler's expectations
since its introduction in the 2005 model year. More than 11,000 have been
sold, the company said.

For 2007, the Liberty will be available only with a gasoline engine.
However, Gutierrez said, "We are still committed to diesel technology."

Chrysler Group President and Chief Executive Tom LaSorda introduced
the diesel-powered 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee last week. The company also will
offer a 2007 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7-liter V-8 engine capable of running
on E85 ethanol, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

Diesels accounted for only about 3% of U.S. vehicle sales last year,
compared with 50% in Europe. But Chrysler is betting that will change as
cleaner diesel fuel reaches the U.S. market this fall and more consumers
discover diesel's improved fuel economy and power.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This
material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...l_x.htm?csp=26

Attached Images
File Type: gif clear.gif (43 Bytes, 81 views)
Old June 5th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I guess there won't be many more Liberties about here then, as most of them
are diesel.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 5th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I think this just effects the US market, I don't think you folks have to
worry about US government emissions regulations (lucky you!).

Jeff DeWitt

Dave Milne wrote:
> I guess there won't be many more Liberties about here then, as most of them
> are diesel.
>
> Dave Milne, Scotland
> '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
>
> "billy ray" > wrote in message
>> DaimlerChrysler ending diesel Liberty, offering diesel Grand
>> Cherokee
>> Posted 6/5/2006 10:48 AM ET
>>
>> DETROIT (AP) - Less than a week after announcing plans to offer a
>> diesel-powered Grand Cherokee sport-utility vehicle in the United States,
>> DaimlerChrysler's (DCX) Chrysler Group said it is ending production of the
>> diesel version of its small Jeep Liberty SUV.
>> The Liberty's diesel engine doesn't meet tougher federal emissions
>> standards taking effect next year, and Chrysler said it wasn't
>> cost-effective to replace it with a newer version.
>>
>> "Our initial plan was always to offer a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

> as
>> long as the Jeep Liberty diesel tested well" among consumers, Chrysler
>> spokeswoman Dianna Gutierrez said Monday. "It's still a strong seller,

> it's
>> got great benefits to it - better fuel economy, more towing power ... but
>> emissions standards for 2007 became more stringent."
>>
>> Chrysler has opted to not develop a cleaner diesel engine for the
>> Liberty, Gutierrez said. "We couldn't make a credible business case for

> such
>> an investment, especially for a limited production number of vehicles."
>>
>> Sales of the Liberty diesel have exceeded Chrysler's expectations
>> since its introduction in the 2005 model year. More than 11,000 have been
>> sold, the company said.
>>
>> For 2007, the Liberty will be available only with a gasoline engine.
>> However, Gutierrez said, "We are still committed to diesel technology."
>>
>> Chrysler Group President and Chief Executive Tom LaSorda introduced
>> the diesel-powered 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee last week. The company also

> will
>> offer a 2007 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7-liter V-8 engine capable of running
>> on E85 ethanol, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.
>>
>> Diesels accounted for only about 3% of U.S. vehicle sales last year,
>> compared with 50% in Europe. But Chrysler is betting that will change as
>> cleaner diesel fuel reaches the U.S. market this fall and more consumers
>> discover diesel's improved fuel economy and power.
>>
>> Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This
>> material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
>>
>> http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...l_x.htm?csp=26

Would the Liberty diesel fit a Wrangler? Bret Ludwig Jeep 6 July 26th 05 07:25 PM
Liberty Diesel Brian Jeep 23 March 31st 05 08:31 AM
Jeep Liberty diesel question Dan J.S. Jeep 11 January 23rd 05 12:29 PM
Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery? Exit 4x4 36 January 20th 04 04:12 PM