selespeed oil level

Old October 17th 04, 10:23 PM
throb

Default selespeed oil level

Took my alfa 156 to alfa dealer for selespeed oil top up. They insisted on
an examination and they advised me the loss was due to a cracked acuator.
they informed me this would be 578 quid plus vat and labour, then went on
to say the i would need pump assembly, gear box casing & contrpl relay-
total bill 2300! Are they having me on? Can anyone help or offer
suggestion? Please!!!!

Old October 17th 04, 10:32 PM
Tony Rickard

"throb" wrote:

> Took my alfa 156 to alfa dealer for selespeed oil top up. They insisted on
> an examination and they advised me the loss was due to a cracked acuator.
> they informed me this would be 578 quid plus vat and labour, then went on
> to say the i would need pump assembly, gear box casing & contrpl relay-
> total bill 2300! Are they having me on? Can anyone help or offer
> suggestion? Please!!!!

Unfortunatley £2k is not untypical for anything major with a selespeed box
and I believe the parts you have described requiring replacement are not
uncommon. However, normally the issue is with failure to select the correct
gears rather than oil loss.

Do you have any other selection problems other than oil loss?

If it is simply losing oil can you not top it up and think about trading it
in sometime soon!

Cheers
Tony

Old October 18th 04, 12:36 AM
Domestos

I've heard a lot of bad **** about the selecspeed - get it trraded in for a
manual mate !!!

Domestos

Old October 18th 04, 10:21 AM
David C

"throb" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Took my alfa 156 to alfa dealer for selespeed oil top up. They insisted on
> an examination and they advised me the loss was due to a cracked acuator.
> they informed me this would be 578 quid plus vat and labour, then went on
> to say the i would need pump assembly, gear box casing & contrpl relay-
> total bill 2300! Are they having me on? Can anyone help or offer
> suggestion? Please!!!!

Have you looked at the actuator yourself?
Look down behind the battery and you will see it on top of the gearbox.
If it looks clean & dry it may be ok.

My Selespeed looses a little fluid via the breather tube.
I've fitted a small catch tank to it to monitor the situation.

£2300 is a big bill if it is only coming out of the breather...
I think they may be taking the pi** with the quote for gearbox casing, pump
& relay.
If all of the above had failed your car wouldn't be moving.
--
David C
156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion

Old October 18th 04, 07:47 PM
Max Reheat

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:23:48 -0400, "throb" >
selected combat throttle and flew into a dogfight with:

>Took my alfa 156 to alfa dealer for selespeed oil top up. They insisted on
>an examination and they advised me the loss was due to a cracked acuator.
>they informed me this would be 578 quid plus vat and labour, then went on
>to say the i would need pump assembly, gear box casing & contrpl relay-
>total bill 2300! Are they having me on? Can anyone help or offer
>suggestion? Please!!!!

The guys on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but:

AIUI, the infamous casing fault results in failure to select gears -
which you did not mention. In order to properly diagnose this fault,
rather than any other cause of gear selection problems, the g-box
would need to be dismantled first.

I think they could be bull-sh!tting you. Ask them for a more detailed
explanation. I would, in anycase, take it elsewhere for second
opinion, possibly a good independent who knows Alfas.

Please state the age and mileage of your Alfa.

--
Max Reheat () - deselect Part Throttle Reheat to reply.

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Selespeed Veloce
Lancia Dedra 1.8i.e.SE
Old October 18th 04, 07:52 PM
Ivan

Take it somewhere else!
Get them to check all the unions on the system. System runs at high
pressure, not unusual for leakage from the joints.
I think your dealer is checking all bases! ie taking the ****!!, assuming
you have no gear change problems.

regards,
--
Ivan.

156 2.5 V6 Veloce
Ex 156 Selespeed (RIP 22 May 03)
Ex 145 QV
Ex 33 16v QV
Ex 33 QV series 1

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 18th 04, 10:59 PM
throb

Thanks to Tony,Domestos,Dave C, Max & Ivan
To answer your q's, No selection problems other than occasionally cant get
reverse without going into 1 fisrt.
Alfa topped me up but only a drizzle! Have since bought a litre myself and
topped up yesterday, but only about a double scotch.I will keep an eye on
the level over the next few weeks. I have only had the car for 6 months
and i agree with you Tony I will trade in after Xmas.Dave C no I haven't
but I will tomorrow. Mechanics ends with me after the polishing! Its a
2000X 51000 miles. I drive in and out of City centre every day, slow
moving traffic for 30/50 mins in and out. For most part only use 1 & 2 and
the temp is constantly at 90+. could this be a cause?

156 Selespeed dimming lights in gear change Azzy Alfa Romeo 3 September 11th 04 11:51 AM
Misbehaving Selespeed David Alfa Romeo 2 August 22nd 04 10:13 PM
Selespeed - a Good Thing? Opinions Please Jake Alfa Romeo 6 August 9th 04 09:12 PM
156 Selespeed 'clunk' changing into 1st gear Mike Alfa Romeo 3 May 8th 04 02:49 PM
SELESPEED MISSING 4th GEAR ramskov Alfa Romeo 1 May 1st 04 10:26 AM