What's been the fastest speed you've driven so far, in a car ?

Old August 20th 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Larry Harvilla

Default What's been the fastest speed you've driven so far, in a car?

Albm&ctd wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>> Dan wrote:
>>> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
>>> someone else's
>>> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
>>> doesn't matter),
>>> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
>>> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
>>> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

>> I seem to be among the few Yanks to have taken this one up so far ...
>>
>> Just short of 110 mph (somewhere around 170-175 km/h), very late at
>> night, on an otherwise deserted straight stretch of M-34 just west of
>> Adrian, Michigan.
>>

> That would be impressive on a dirt road.
>
> Al

M-34 currently is, was then, and has been for 70 years, a paved state
highway, just in case you're confused.

I do agree that 110 mph would be something on dirt though.

--
Larry Harvilla
e-mail: larry AT phatpage DOT org
Old August 20th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
vulgarandmischevious

Dan > wrote:

>Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
>someone else's
>(whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
>doesn't matter),
>what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
>and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
>matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

180mph.

Not as fast as I've done on a bike...
Old August 20th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
AstraVanMann

"Adrian" > wrote:
>>> (Oh, and 165mph at Bruntingthorpe in my TVR).

>> Most notable ones I can remember was getting round to "Empty" on the
>> fuel gauge in a hired Transit on the M1; and an indicated 114mph in a
>> 1967 Vanden Plas 4 litre R with 2 inches of play at the steering wheel.

> If we're on "most surprising", then a GPS-confirmed 80mph out of a
> Citroen Acadiane. I do like the Baldock bypass.

Cracking bit of road that - but even pre-bypass the A505 east of Baldock was
always a brilliantly quiet bit of road.

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old August 20th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

"AstraVanMann" > gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

>> If we're on "most surprising", then a GPS-confirmed 80mph out of a
>> Citroen Acadiane. I do like the Baldock bypass.

> Cracking bit of road that - but even pre-bypass the A505 east of Baldock
> was always a brilliantly quiet bit of road.

The bit that's unchanged, once it used to hit the dual carriageway? Yeh,
but there's a few cameras.
Old August 20th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc
John Tserkezis

Dan wrote:

> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

Not so much speed, as circumstances that are important.

1000Km/h in a plane (ho hum).
180Km/h in a car (ho hum).
90+Km/h on a recumbent bicycle with my arse barely 8 inches off the ground.

That last one is the only one that rates. One tyre blowout and forget
trying to identify via dental records, you'd be looking at cleaning up the
mess with a wet and dry vacuum.

My favourite is going 70Km/h in a 60 zone, and having cars overtake me at
80, presumably because they can't bare the shame of being overtaken by a damn
bicycle.
Now *that* works for me. Doing it at 80 in car would barely keep me awake,
though it seems to impress their car drivers...
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>
Old August 20th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc
Noddy[_3_]

"John Tserkezis" > wrote in message

> 90+Km/h on a recumbent bicycle with my arse barely 8 inches off the
> ground.

Good point

I've been clocked at 130km/h in a go-kart by a copper with a hand held
radar. All that was separating my arse cheeks from the ground was 10mm of
fiberglass seat and 20mm of daylight, but that was enough to make it felt
like 300 miles per hour in anything else

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old August 20th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc
John Tserkezis

Noddy wrote:

> I've been clocked at 130km/h in a go-kart by a copper with a hand held
> radar. All that was separating my arse cheeks from the ground was 10mm of
> fiberglass seat and 20mm of daylight, but that was enough to make it felt
> like 300 miles per hour in anything else

Back in the day, I was told in Europe, they spare nothing to improve
everything. 20mm of daylight under the seat guaranteed last place.

Basically, (no joke) by the end of the race, if you didn't come out with
your suit torn and your arse bleeding, you weren't low enough.

We weren't that desperate though, and just patched up the seat with some
fibreglass repair kit. Even then we didn't like it, when we hit the ground,
holy crap didn't your arse know it.
No torn suits or bleeding bums though, I really do have some respect for
those who stop at nothing to be just that little bit faster than the next guy.

At some point, we agreed that 300mph was fast enough and just let it be. :-)
Old August 20th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
richard

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 19:55:18 +1000, Albm&ctd
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
>> someone else's
>> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
>> doesn't matter),
>> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
>> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
>> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.
>>

>Would you believe 109.99999999999 km/h in a 110 km/h zone?
>
>Al

Oh you speed demon you. You do that here in some states and the
truckers will be passing you.
Old August 20th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
richard

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:20:17 -0700 (PDT), Dan >
wrote:

>Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
>someone else's
>(whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
>doesn't matter),
>what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
>and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
>matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

100 mph in a new 1966 ford galaxy 500.....drivers ed believe it or
not.

110 mph in a 1963 plymouth belvidere on I275 in cincinnati.