What's been the fastest speed you've driven so far, in a car ?

Old August 20th 09, 10:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Albm&ctd

Default What's been the fastest speed you've driven so far, in a car ?

In article >,
says...
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

Would you believe 109.99999999999 km/h in a 110 km/h zone?

Al
--
I don't take sides.
It's more fun to insult everyone.
Old August 20th 09, 11:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Larry Harvilla

Dan wrote:
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

I seem to be among the few Yanks to have taken this one up so far ...

Just short of 110 mph (somewhere around 170-175 km/h), very late at
night, on an otherwise deserted straight stretch of M-34 just west of
Adrian, Michigan.

The car was a then-new 2001 Hyundai Elantra with S-rated tires (S = 180
km/h or 112 mph), and I suspect I was running up against a fuel cut-off
designed to protect the tires. Even several mph short of that, though, I
recall the tires making a VERY loud sound that I can't quite describe
eight years hence.

--
Larry Harvilla
e-mail: larry AT phatpage DOT org
Old August 20th 09, 11:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Anumber1

Dan wrote:
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

North of 150 Mph on M-6 (brand new highway) in a lightly modded but NOS
and turbo equipped 1st gen DSM.

Speedo was well beyond 140, motor was still pulling strong and 500 rpm
short of redline in top gear when I caught up with traffic and I had to
use better judgment (AND THE BRAKES).

Previous "fast moment" was in a 1970 Malibu that was equipped with a
454. Speedo went to 120, car had 3.23 gears and I was at redline with
the bigblock. Perhaps 130? Real dicey ride on that one. Floaty!
Old August 20th 09, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Zimmy[_2_]

"Dan" > wrote in message
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

I did about 253mph in a Bugatti Veyron once,
actually, now I come to think of it, James May might have been driving, not
me,
and actually I might have been watching remotely through a camera mounted
inside,
but it sure felt fast.

Old August 20th 09, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Dan wrote:
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

In a personally owned car on the street - 120 mph
On the race track - 218 mph
On a motorcycle - 133 > full dress Yamaha with a "slightly" tuned VMax
engine in it...
Old August 20th 09, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

Huge > gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

>> North of 150 Mph on M-6 (brand new highway) in a lightly modded but NOS
>> and turbo equipped 1st gen DSM.

> DSM?

A quick google suggests that it's some Mitsubishi crap rebadged to make
idiots think it was a 'merkin car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-Star_Motors
Old August 20th 09, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Ian[_10_]

On 20 Aug, 08:20, Dan > wrote:
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

I was given a lift down a French autoroute, years ago, in one of the
first Lexuses and was very impressed at how quietly it kept up a nice
constant 145mph.

As driver ... well, that would have to be the indicated 96mph in a
Reliant Rialto. That's about 350 mph in anything else ...

Ian
Old August 20th 09, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Willy Eckerslyke

Huge wrote:

> (Oh, and 165mph at Bruntingthorpe in my TVR).

Most notable ones I can remember was getting round to "Empty" on the
fuel gauge in a hired Transit on the M1; and an indicated 114mph in a
1967 Vanden Plas 4 litre R with 2 inches of play at the steering wheel.
Old August 20th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

Willy Eckerslyke > gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

>> (Oh, and 165mph at Bruntingthorpe in my TVR).

> Most notable ones I can remember was getting round to "Empty" on the
> fuel gauge in a hired Transit on the M1; and an indicated 114mph in a
> 1967 Vanden Plas 4 litre R with 2 inches of play at the steering wheel.

If we're on "most surprising", then a GPS-confirmed 80mph out of a
Citroen Acadiane. I do like the Baldock bypass.