What's been the fastest speed you've driven so far, in a car ?

Old August 20th 09, 08:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Dan[_35_]

Default What's been the fastest speed you've driven so far, in a car ?

Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
someone else's
(whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
doesn't matter),
what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.
Old August 20th 09, 08:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
The Chief Instigator[_1_]

Dan > writes:

>Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
>someone else's
>(whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
>doesn't matter),
>what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
>and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
>matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

Back when I was seventeen, in a '63 Valiant, on a stretch of Westheimer Road
in Houston, back when it was two lanes of blacktop...hit 160 km/h between the
future Briarpark Drive and where South Gessner ended, then (which was 1972).

--
Patrick L. "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey ) Houston, Texas
www.io.com/~patrick/aeros.php (TCI's 2008-09 Houston Aeros) AA#2273
Old August 20th 09, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Jason James[_3_]

"Dan" > wrote in message
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

Two occasions I remember: 90 mph in 3rd gear in a Metallic green XT GT
Falcon (I ran out of road)

Nailed at 195kph (indicated) in a VP wagon,..it got very floaty,.. between
Cobar and Nyngan NSW.

Jason

Old August 20th 09, 09:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Jason James[_3_]

"The Chief Instigator" > wrote in message
> Dan > writes:
>
>>Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
>>someone else's
>>(whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
>>doesn't matter),
>>what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
>>and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
>>matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

> Back when I was seventeen, in a '63 Valiant, on a stretch of Westheimer
> Road
> in Houston, back when it was two lanes of blacktop...hit 160 km/h between
> the
> future Briarpark Drive and where South Gessner ended, then (which was
> 1972).

Patrich! Have you given AR up? ...and yeah,..GO the Slant 6s

Jason

Old August 20th 09, 10:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

Dan > gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger, doesn't
> matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing and
> harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

Driving, never past about 130mph - I've not had anything capable!

Passengering, about 180mph - from a standing start in less than a mile,
down to about 90 for a big loop, then possibly a little higher on the
mile coming back... Genuine GT40, at MIRA...
Old August 20th 09, 10:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

The Chief Instigator > gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

> Back when I was seventeen, in a '63 Valiant, on a stretch of Westheimer
> Road in Houston, back when it was two lanes of blacktop...hit 160 km/h
> between the future Briarpark Drive and where South Gessner ended, then
> (which was 1972).

160kph? 100mph?

Sorry, it wasn't the fastest TODAY - your fastest EVER. Oh. 1972. Blimey
o'reilly, man...
Old August 20th 09, 10:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
McKevvy

On 20 Aug, 08:20, Dan > wrote:
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

About 20 yrs ago I had a MKII Ford Escort RS2000 and decided to test
it on a dual carriageway near where I lived. I hit 148mph on the clock
and my pal sitting next to me was getting a bit nervous. Had I been
caught by the plods at the time, I would have been banned for sure but
in todays "speed kills" atmosphere I would have still been banned but
I would have made the local headlines. Sad.

McK.
Old August 20th 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars,misc.transport.road,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.driving
Mike P[_3_]

On 20 Aug, 08:20, Dan > wrote:
> Irrespective whether it was your own (current or previous) car or
> someone else's
> (whether you were the one driving, or you were only a passenger,
> doesn't matter),
> what's so far been the fastest speed you've driven, without crashing
> and harming anyone and/or also physically damaging the car. It doesn't
> matter if it was on a road, or on a race track.

In a car as a driver - somewhere upwards of 140mph. Not sure by how
much as the speedometer only went to 140, and I went past the last
mark on the clock.

On a motorcycle - Indicated 150mph, but it was an early fireblade and
I have no idea how accurate the clock was, so I'll say 145.

Passenger - again, somewhere around 145-150. Whatever a 7.2 litre
Chevy Nova with a supercharger and fat tyres will do in a straight
line once it goes off the speedo at 130. I was nine, and sat unbelted
on the front seat down in mississippi..

Mike P