'02 Explorer Fuel Gauge Problem

Old November 19th 04, 02:31 AM
James Drouin

Default '02 Explorer Fuel Gauge Problem

Group,

My '02 Explorer XLT w/ 32k miles on it has recently started to occasionally
show an empty fuel tank and Check Gauge light, when the tank has plenty of
fuel.

The problem is intermittent, although it only started a couple of days ago
(so not a lot of background history).

Does anyone know if this is a problem common to the '02s, or do I just have
the bad luck to have a defective gauge or wiring?

Thanks for your feedback,

Dominic

Old December 13th 04, 01:30 AM
tfilm

I have had the same problem on my 92 explorer for almost 1/2 year, maybe
longer. It turns out that the mechanics in general do not know about this
problem, but Ford has discovered and described it. The gauge takes about
55 'key on' minutes to reset itself; with newer processors/instrument
clusters, they claim it should reset in 17 minutes. I am planning to write
Ford and recommend they replace the processors; I believe that the
processors are bad, since mine will also set the door ajar alarm randomly
and hold it for anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours drive time. This
is unacceptable.

Talk with your service department, and make sure that they know if it has
happened while the vehicle was on warranty.
mel,
041211.1930

Fuel supply problem Major Tom Corvette 0 January 4th 05 03:31 AM
Odyssey fuel gauge problem Eric Goldsmith Honda 2 October 18th 04 08:51 PM
fuel gauge isn't working anymore(s) kilroy bass Honda 2 September 26th 04 11:35 PM