'96 Concorde LX 3.3 Trunk Lid Lock Key Fails?

Old September 1st 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
njoracle

Default '96 Concorde LX 3.3 Trunk Lid Lock Key Fails?

I can no longer open the trunk with a key. I have 3 sets of keys, two
are worn and the other is almost new. None will open the trunk. All of
the keys work in the ignition and the doors.

I can still open the trunk by pushing the button in the glove
compartment so I'm not ready to panic but would like to get the key working.

Any ideas on how to fix the trunk lock so a key will open it?
Old September 2nd 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

replace lock cylinder for the trunk and make sure the rest work or when your
keyfob batteries fail you won't get in, can't wait till the 300c owners find
this out since there is only one key cylinder and the battery is in the trunk

Old September 2nd 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
njoracle

philthy wrote:
> replace lock cylinder for the trunk and make sure the rest work or when your
> keyfob batteries fail you won't get in, can't wait till the 300c owners find
> this out since there is only one key cylinder and the battery is in the trunk
>
> njoracle wrote:
>
>> I can no longer open the trunk with a key. I have 3 sets of keys, two
>> are worn and the other is almost new. None will open the trunk. All of
>> the keys work in the ignition and the doors.
>>
>> I can still open the trunk by pushing the button in the glove
>> compartment so I'm not ready to panic but would like to get the key working.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to fix the trunk lock so a key will open it?

I have no "keyfob", only keys
Old September 3rd 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

njoracle wrote:

> I can no longer open the trunk with a key. I have 3 sets of keys, two
> are worn and the other is almost new. None will open the trunk. All of
> the keys work in the ignition and the doors.
>
> I can still open the trunk by pushing the button in the glove
> compartment so I'm not ready to panic but would like to get the key
> working.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix the trunk lock so a key will open it?

Well, more info needed. Does the key not even TURN at all? Or does it
turn and just not unlock the trunk? If it doesn't turn at all, you need
a new lock cylinder. If it turns but doesn't work the lock, check to see
if the linkage between the cylinder and the actual latch mechanism has
fallen loose.
Old September 3rd 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Arnie Goetchius

Steve wrote:
> njoracle wrote:
>
>> I can no longer open the trunk with a key. I have 3 sets of keys, two
>> are worn and the other is almost new. None will open the trunk. All of
>> the keys work in the ignition and the doors.
>>
>> I can still open the trunk by pushing the button in the glove
>> compartment so I'm not ready to panic but would like to get the key
>> working.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to fix the trunk lock so a key will open it?

> Well, more info needed. Does the key not even TURN at all? Or does it
> turn and just not unlock the trunk? If it doesn't turn at all, you need
> a new lock cylinder. If it turns but doesn't work the lock, check to see
> if the linkage between the cylinder and the actual latch mechanism has
> fallen loose.

It does not turn at all so I assume it needs a new lock cylinder. Is
that an easy DIY job or would I be better off taking it to the dealer?
Old September 3rd 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Arnie Goetchius wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> njoracle wrote:
>>
>>> I can no longer open the trunk with a key. I have 3 sets of keys, two
>>> are worn and the other is almost new. None will open the trunk. All
>>> of the keys work in the ignition and the doors.
>>>
>>> I can still open the trunk by pushing the button in the glove
>>> compartment so I'm not ready to panic but would like to get the key
>>> working.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to fix the trunk lock so a key will open it?

>> Well, more info needed. Does the key not even TURN at all? Or does it
>> turn and just not unlock the trunk? If it doesn't turn at all, you
>> need a new lock cylinder. If it turns but doesn't work the lock, check
>> to see if the linkage between the cylinder and the actual latch
>> mechanism has fallen loose.

> It does not turn at all so I assume it needs a new lock cylinder. Is
> that an easy DIY job or would I be better off taking it to the dealer?

Its usually pretty simple, but unless you get a cylinder keyed to match
your existing key, you'll have to carry a second key to open the trunk.
Old September 4th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

You should be able to save a few bucks and put this in yourself. If you
take your key with you to the dealer and buy the new lock cylinder from the
parts guy, they should be able to key it to match your ignition key. Call
and ask them what they charge ... a good locksmith should also be able to do
this for you too so compare prices. Good luck!

Bob