New contest: enter here

Old September 19th 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Remco Moedt

Default New contest: enter here

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:35 +0100 (BST),
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

>no@email (Remco Moedt) wrote:

>> But at this rate, I've to do at least 55 incident free laps to get
>> a score above 3.00, so I can race the Advanced Solstice.

>I really do think you should do your best to run a race a day at the back
>of the field. Don't push hard, just concentrate on getting round the
>track. If you have a totally clean race your SR goes up in quite
>satisfying chunks. While this can be very boring, it's the only way of
>getting into a Skip Barber. It really is a completely different
>experience.
>
>Personally I found the advanced Solstice just as dull a ride as the basic
>model.
>
>> Since I've no clue if there are races for that class

>There are; they run at similar intervals to the ordinary Solstice races.
>
>> I might have to do a lot of timetrials in the Advanced Solstice as
>> well to get a SR above 4.00

>I stuck with the basic Solstice and my 'back of the field' race tactic. I
>even raced on my own once and my SR still went up more than it would've
>done in a TT. That was a *really* boring time though! 17 laps or so on
>your own is not recommended. :-)

Argh! So I've to suffer the Solstice until my SR is above 4.00! The
horror... Still, since you're so sure about the Skip Barber being the
bees knees, I'm tempted to try....

>> I just want to do a race the moment I fire up iRacing.

>In your dreams! You have to hang around in the forums for a while,
>posting about the cars and tracks you'd like added in order to dilute the
>racing pool even more! ;-)
>
>> Now I've more fun starting Race07 and race the Radical.

>I've been having some fun in Mini races at the Ring. But I still long for
>something as satisfying as the Skip Barber to drive. It's a real sod that
>I can't find a sim I enjoy fully any more. iRacing has the vehicles I
>want to drive, but not the freedom. Race07/Evo has the main track I want &
>overall gaming polish. GTR2 has the engine sounds. And I have a headache
>trying to decide whether to just throw my games PC in the bin and forget
>about racing altogether. I was *so* close to that until recently. Now
>look at the mess I'm in!

It's strange, but overall GPL/VROC is still king. Yes, it's dated, but
it had it all. The newer sims are way better on some points compared
to GPL, but not on all points.

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 23rd 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

Remco,

The "trick" to Time trials is to drive the car for as many laps as you can
without ANY incidents, for the whole "time trial" period (usually 30 minutes
aren't they)... to me that is as "fun" as driving to work... So, as you
can imagine, you get bored and you try a couple things as your laptimes
improve, next thing you know you overdo a corner, and go flipping off the
fastest turn's guardrails 2x for off track, 2x for hitting the guardrail, 4x
for losing control means you just fking wasted 30 minutes of yer life....

you can only test-drive any car, you cant race higher cars for 4 weeks (when
rookie) 12 weeks after that or when your safety rating is above 4.0, then
you can drive Next license higher cars in races/timetrials/qualify sessions
.. but you gain safety points VERY quickly as a rookie, doing timetrials.
It has been said 2 or so incident free time trials = one race.

Old September 29th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
John Wallace

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> no@email (Remco Moedt) wrote:
>
>> But they forgot the fun part...

> Fun is for gamers. iRacing is for grownups! And a handful of bored
> profession racers who fancy a laugh at the wannabes. ;-)
>
> I shouldn't take the p*ss, because I really do want it to succeed, and as
> soon as I sort my triplehead setup out I'm going to have buy in for
> another month. I think racing on ovals with decent peripheral vision
> might be quite entertaining. For a while anyway.
>
> Andrew McP
>
> PS Actually I nearly cracked & rejoined earlier today when I discovered
> the Skip Barber's at Infineon again. I was just starting to love that
> track when the tracks switched last time.

You're right, Skippy is *so* much fun at Sears Point (sorry, I can't
call it Infineon). I thought it wouldn't be a fun track, but the
elevation changes, bumps and stops make it amazing in the Skippy,
especially the IRL layout which was recently used.

This week is Laguna Seca, next week Summit Point, then VIR (also
excellent track), then final week of the season is Sears again, this
time Cup layout. Then "Week 13" - who knows what to expect, but no SR
and no iRating - should be fun!

Cheers!
John