Realistic racing and bumper cars?

Old September 23rd 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
John Doe

Default Realistic racing and bumper cars?

"jeffareid" > wrote:

>>> Not when thse skillful drivers brake for corner entry, and the
>>> driver behind choose to ram them.

>> I disagree. Maybe we can get together and you can prove how easy it
>> is.

> Make this simpler, take two equally skilled drivers and allow

No way.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Old September 24th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Peter" > wrote in message
om...
> In article >,
> lid says...
>>
>> Unless you are planning on becoming a race driver, for which you
>> will need a lot more than a simulator, why worry about crashing
>> while racing? Personally, I like the idea of total realism with
>> respect to the interaction of wheels on the pavement combined with
>> the fun of being indestructible. Wouldn't that help solve the
>> problem of inexperienced drivers who don't let you pass? You could
>> do like the police during a real-life car chase and spin them out of
>> the way. Faster drivers will still always make up time when not
>> having to pass other cars. Of course it would advantage someone
>> who's good at bumping around in traffic, but that too is a skill.
>> I'm sure it's not a novel idea, but do any groups practice that in
>> online racing?
>>

> Not sure you're going to get many advocates here. Besides, the netcode
> is going to have to be pretty damn good to allow you to bump another so
> precisely as to spin them out and allow you to keep going. Haven't done
> any online stuff in the last couple of years now so things have probably
> improved, but normally any kind of coming together would result in both
> cars careering off into the nearest piece of scenery.

In rFactor it very easy to bump cars off the road and get away with it. The
online servers set the damage too low, hence the unrealistic driving
methods.

Old September 24th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin[_2_]

"David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
> om...
>> In article >,
>> lid says...
>>>
>>> Unless you are planning on becoming a race driver, for which you
>>> will need a lot more than a simulator, why worry about crashing
>>> while racing? Personally, I like the idea of total realism with
>>> respect to the interaction of wheels on the pavement combined with
>>> the fun of being indestructible. Wouldn't that help solve the
>>> problem of inexperienced drivers who don't let you pass? You could
>>> do like the police during a real-life car chase and spin them out of
>>> the way. Faster drivers will still always make up time when not
>>> having to pass other cars. Of course it would advantage someone
>>> who's good at bumping around in traffic, but that too is a skill.
>>> I'm sure it's not a novel idea, but do any groups practice that in
>>> online racing?
>>>

>> Not sure you're going to get many advocates here. Besides, the netcode
>> is going to have to be pretty damn good to allow you to bump another so
>> precisely as to spin them out and allow you to keep going. Haven't done
>> any online stuff in the last couple of years now so things have probably
>> improved, but normally any kind of coming together would result in both
>> cars careering off into the nearest piece of scenery.
>>

> In rFactor it very easy to bump cars off the road and get away with it.
> The online servers set the damage too low, hence the unrealistic driving
> methods.

I was doing a Late Model race a while back and it was down to a couple of
laps to go and I was ahead of a car I was racing for position. He gave me a
tap entering the corner and moved me up a bit and got around me. Zero
incident points were accessed to either of us, so it can be done
realistically if you know what you are doing. I considered it very good
racing.

Ed

Old September 24th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Richard[_15_]

Ed Medlin wrote:
> "David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in message
>> "Peter" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> In article >,
>>> lid says...
>>>>
>>> Not sure you're going to get many advocates here. Besides, the netcode
>>> is going to have to be pretty damn good to allow you to bump another so
>>> precisely as to spin them out and allow you to keep going. Haven't done
>>> any online stuff in the last couple of years now so things have probably
>>> improved, but normally any kind of coming together would result in both
>>> cars careering off into the nearest piece of scenery.
>>>

>> In rFactor it very easy to bump cars off the road and get away with it.
>> The online servers set the damage too low, hence the unrealistic driving
>> methods.

> I was doing a Late Model race a while back and it was down to a couple of
> laps to go and I was ahead of a car I was racing for position. He gave me a
> tap entering the corner and moved me up a bit and got around me. Zero
> incident points were accessed to either of us, so it can be done
> realistically if you know what you are doing. I considered it very good
> racing.
>
> Ed

In Iracing, it seemed to me, that the incident system (I forget what
they call it), was tuned for circle track racing. Try the same thing on
a road course and see what happens. Any incident on a road course gets
you dinged, but on an oval, it's please sir can I have another.
I can see why they tuned it for ovals. Ovals being (unfortunately) the
pinnacle of racing in America.
Old September 25th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin[_2_]

> In Iracing, it seemed to me, that the incident system (I forget what they
> call it), was tuned for circle track racing. Try the same thing on a road
> course and see what happens. Any incident on a road course gets you
> dinged, but on an oval, it's please sir can I have another.
> I can see why they tuned it for ovals. Ovals being (unfortunately) the
> pinnacle of racing in America.

I can't speak for all Americans, but I really enjoy all racing. With Nascar
money now going behind the Dayton Prototype Series, I can see a lot of
growth there over the next few years. I would like to see the resurgence of
road racing in the US. Up until the 70s it was very strong, but with the
extra expense and all that went with it, the local SCCA amateur clubs all
dried up and along with that a lot of the popularity. I can't remember the
last time the F1 series was as interesting as it has been the last two
years. Things like the call from FIA on Hamilton a couple of weeks ago don't
help, but hey.......Nascar does the same thing on occasion......:-).
Politics is very strong in all types of racing. In iRacing, you can get 0x
contact between cars in all series, road courses included. It is just harder
to do in a road race than an oval because of the speed differences. On an
oval, the speeds are usually very similar between two cars racing for
position and a slight tap is easier to do. In road racing, the overtaking
car usually is dependent upon a mistake by the car in front and the closure
rate is usually much quicker so that contact is usually much harder. I do
find that the incident system is much too tough in road racing compared to
ovals when a tire off can get you 2-4 points off your iRating. You don't see
nearly as many 4.99 ratings in road racing as you do on the ovals.

Ed