5 speed neon-click while shifting

Old September 6th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
JF Bialek

Default 5 speed neon-click while shifting

Hi,

I have a 98 neon, 5 speed. Just this week, I've started feeling a
sort of click while shifting into 2nd and out of 3rd and 4th. It
feels like something has loosened up. What causes this and can I fix
it?

Old September 7th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ron Seiden

"JF Bialek" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 98 neon, 5 speed. Just this week, I've started feeling a
> sort of click while shifting into 2nd and out of 3rd and 4th. It
> feels like something has loosened up. What causes this and can I fix
> it?

How many miles on it? And are they highway (little shifting) or local (much
shifting) miles? Could be that the syncro-mesh widget on second gear is
dying. The second gear syncro is always the first to go, since that gear
gets the most shifting activity (going both up and down the gears). Unless
you blip the gas exactly right (or "double-clutch" properly) when
downshifting, you're calling on (actually, bashing) the syncro to mesh the
gears, so when it inevitably starts to wear out, you start feeling the gears
hitting each other slightly out of sync...
Replacing worn out syncros used to be a normal repair, but nowadays most
places would likely either not know how or simply not want to (since it
requires disassembling and re-assembling the transmission). Worst case, find
yourself a shop that specializes in tranny work (*not* one of the chain
automatic tranny shops).

Does speed-shifting blow up engines? (Little problem) frank wight Technology 22 July 26th 06 02:23 AM
problem low gear shifting on 1992 jeep 5 speed transmission susansjeep Jeep 3 January 9th 06 02:40 AM
Neon Tranns 6 speed Peregrine Dodge 2 September 23rd 05 01:10 AM
click it or . . . Ted B. Driving 43 June 8th 05 01:21 AM
"94" Labaron shifting to OD at low speed Dogface Chrysler 0 May 31st 05 08:47 PM