outside brake pad more worn?

Old April 6th 11, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Default outside brake pad more worn?

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> On 04/05/2011 10:45 AM, Tegger wrote:

>> Toyota uses (or used) them extensively. They cover the mesh with a
>> skin of rubber, so you only see the mesh if you tear the rubber
>> (don't bother asking me how I know).

> that's much more likely polyester mesh - to conform with dot
> standards.
> steel braiding is not allowed for road use because it can fatigue
> and
> takes a set if bent to too tight a radius thus restricting the hose
> core.

This stuff /was/ stainless steel. I saw and felt it with my own eyes.

--
Tegger
Old April 6th 11, 12:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Tegger > wrote in news:Xns9EBF48DBAC1B7tegger@
208.90.168.18:

> This stuff /was/ stainless steel. I saw and felt it with my own eyes.

Sorry, I saw it with my own EYES and FELT it with my own HANDS.

--
Tegger
Old April 6th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message > Not at all, properly done.
And "properly done" is intuitively simple. If
> one is not smart enough to know how to use air properly, then one is not
> smart enough to do brakes.
>

> --
> Tegger

Well, Tegger, there are actually a lot of people out there who are not
smart enough to do brakes, or much of anything else.

I do not know of anybody who has been killed using shop air to
blow out the piston. I was taught this at an EIS brake class, and
have held to it.

If you have a bicycle pump, clearly you dont have a large reserve
of high pressure air that would be likely to do much damage. If you
have a high pressure gas system, you CAN hurt someone.

It is very common to pressure test systems and in my experience
you dont do it with gas. You do it with liquids which are not
appreciably compressable. That way, if you leak the smallest
amount, you see the pressure drop.

I maintain it is the safest way to do things. You do it however you
wish.

Old April 6th 11, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message >

> There was no saving any of the pistons I've ever replaced. The rust on
> them
> was in the form of pitting, and no crocus cloth was going to cure that.

Down here, we dont have need for salt on the roads, and the pistons
are not normally a problem. The only place you really have to worry
about pitting is on the wall of the piston and wall of the cylinder.

Crocus cloth will not remove deep pitting, for sure. The reason for crocus
cloth is simply to polish those two metal faces. It removes extremely
little metal, but makes the surfaces less likely to stick, for lack of
a better word.

It is much like wire-brushing a bolt and running a tap through the
threads before torqueing.

There is absolutely no reason to replace most pistons here where
road corrosion damage is nil.

> Nothing at all wrong with popping a piston out with air; it's the easiest
> way when dealing with front calipers. The piston doesn't need to come out
> all the way, just most of the way. A piece of wood and an old cloth do
> fine
> as stoppers.

Do it if you like. I was taught NOT to do this, and still believe that it
is not a good procedure. I wouldnt let my son do it and wouldnt teach
anyone else either. Poor safety practice is just bad business.

Old April 6th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/06/2011 06:54 AM, hls wrote:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message >
>>
>> There was no saving any of the pistons I've ever replaced. The rust on
>> them
>> was in the form of pitting, and no crocus cloth was going to cure that.
>>

> Down here, we dont have need for salt on the roads, and the pistons
> are not normally a problem. The only place you really have to worry
> about pitting is on the wall of the piston and wall of the cylinder.
>
> Crocus cloth will not remove deep pitting, for sure. The reason for
> crocus cloth is simply to polish those two metal faces. It removes
> extremely
> little metal, but makes the surfaces less likely to stick, for lack of
> a better word.

how thick is the chrome plating on a brake piston? what is that
relative to the factory piston diameter tolerance?

> It is much like wire-brushing a bolt and running a tap through the
> threads before torqueing.

no. steel being brushed with steel removes flaky surface oxide, not
substrate. steel/chrome plate being abraded with silicon carbide
cruises straight through that surface and well into the substrate below.
once you've removed the chrome, you affect the friction coefficient
and the corrosion resistance. bad idea.

if you want to "clean" a piston, use a wire brush, not abrasive.

> There is absolutely no reason to replace most pistons here where
> road corrosion damage is nil.
>

>> Nothing at all wrong with popping a piston out with air; it's the easiest
>> way when dealing with front calipers. The piston doesn't need to come out
>> all the way, just most of the way. A piece of wood and an old cloth do
>> fine
>> as stoppers.

> Do it if you like. I was taught NOT to do this, and still believe that it
> is not a good procedure. I wouldnt let my son do it and wouldnt teach
> anyone else either. Poor safety practice is just bad business.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 6th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/06/2011 04:14 AM, Tegger wrote:
> > wrote in news:Xns9EBF48DBAC1B7tegger@
> 208.90.168.18:
>

>> This stuff /was/ stainless steel. I saw and felt it with my own eyes.
>>

> Sorry, I saw it with my own EYES and FELT it with my own HANDS.

i'll wander on over to the toyota section next time i'm in a junkyard
and see what i can find. what year/model was it?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 6th 11, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> On 04/06/2011 04:14 AM, Tegger wrote:
>> > wrote in news:Xns9EBF48DBAC1B7tegger@
>> 208.90.168.18:
>>

>>> This stuff /was/ stainless steel. I saw and felt it with my own eyes.
>>>

>> Sorry, I saw it with my own EYES and FELT it with my own HANDS.
>>

> i'll wander on over to the toyota section next time i'm in a junkyard
> and see what i can find. what year/model was it?

AFAIK, anything from the late '80s.

--
Tegger
Old February 5th 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Old February 5th 16, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

i think the end result is it can only be a caliper problem,the piston ,the slides -----put new calipers on!