Towbar plans?

Old August 2nd 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Weldman

Default Towbar plans?

I'm looking to weld up a tobar and am looking for some plans.
Specifically, I'm wondering what to make the thing out of. I'm a
weldor by trade and have access to 1x2, 2x2, and 1.5x1.5 inch tubing.
I'm just wondering which one I should use. The towed vehicle is 3200
lbs.

I was thinking that the 1x2 would be fine and would work out well with
the size of the ball hitch. I think I have some 1x2 in the shop that
is 14 ga. How stout does this thing need to be?

Old August 2nd 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Class III hitches use a lot stouter materials than your list contains.

Take a look at a commercially available hitch for ideas.

ups.com...

Old August 2nd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Weldman

billy ray wrote:
> Class III hitches use a lot stouter materials than your list contains.

OK so how stout of a material does this thing need to be made out of?

I would assume that 2x2x1/4 would be overkill, but what would be
acceptable?

Old August 2nd 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

I think 2x2 tube or 2 inch pipe, or larger, is probably about what the store
bought hitches use.

You can see typical construction at any auto parts store or specific
information in many parking lots. Go take a look.

ups.com...

Old August 2nd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default Towbar plans? <-- ping Nate, fabrication question.

Weldman wrote:
> I'm looking to weld up a tobar and am looking for some plans.
> Specifically, I'm wondering what to make the thing out of. I'm a
> weldor by trade and have access to 1x2, 2x2, and 1.5x1.5 inch tubing.
> I'm just wondering which one I should use. The towed vehicle is 3200
> lbs.
>
> I was thinking that the 1x2 would be fine and would work out well with
> the size of the ball hitch. I think I have some 1x2 in the shop that
> is 14 ga. How stout does this thing need to be?

Best person to ask in this group would be Nathan Collier.
I put a ping in the subject so he should be along shortly.

--
DougW

Old August 2nd 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

I had the same guys that bent my roll bar tubing due my towbar, it
kind of doubles as a brush bar:
http://www.billhughes.com/jeep68sand2.jpg It needs to be a little longer
as this one pushes my full sized Bronco tow vehicle all over the place
so I put an ugly extension on it, that's usually left back at camp:
http://www.billhughes.com/46jeepdesert.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old August 3rd 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nathan W. Collier

"Weldman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I think I have some 1x2 in the shop that
> is 14 ga. How stout does this thing need to be?

14 gauge isnt nearly thick enough to provide adequate lateral support in the
even of an emergency evasive manuever at highway speeds. you might be able
to get away with 11 gauge, but since you share the roads with my wife and
kids im not comfortable with that either. i would recommend 3/16" minimum
with bracing.

--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Old August 3rd 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nathan W. Collier

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Best person to ask in this group would be Nathan Collier.
> I put a ping in the subject so he should be along shortly.

thanks doug!

Old August 3rd 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Nathan W. Collier

"Weldman" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> So what dimention tubing should I make it out of?
>
> I think the maximum diameter that will go into the ball coupler is
> 2-1/2"

with a little lateral bracing i think the 1x2 would be just fine, if you can
get it in 3/16". im sure 2x2 would be fine. i even see towbar setups made
out of 2x2 3/16" angle iron. what do you have in mind for your connection
point (which will be the weakest link anyway)?

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

Old August 3rd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

I'm with Nathan. Mine is 1-1/2" x 3" .120 wall