GT 1.9 JTD clutch slip @ 26K miles?

Old May 25th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default GT 1.9 JTD clutch slip @ 26K miles?

Just started to get clutch slip on the GT. Strangely, this occurs not
in low gears / hard acceleration, but in higher gears (say 4th) when
accelerating away from a roundabout for example. This seems very early
at 26000 miles! Is there any adjustment on the clutch, or will it be a
new one. Could it be anything else. How much would it cost?

Thanks.

Old May 25th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Grahame > wrote:

> Just started to get clutch slip on the GT. Strangely, this occurs not
> in low gears / hard acceleration, but in higher gears (say 4th) when
> accelerating away from a roundabout for example. This seems very early
> at 26000 miles! Is there any adjustment on the clutch,

No.

> or will it be a new one.

Probably.

> Could it be anything else. How much would it cost?

Lots.

> Thanks.

You're welcome.

Next time, try driving less like an old woman.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old May 26th 06, 05:55 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

I have got the same problem with my GT ( 2005 )
due to some grease comming on the clutch slice
some screws were not fiiting properly

they exchange the clutch slice, fittings and everything is OK now
it should be done and the warranty should cover that

Old May 26th 06, 08:15 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Grahame wrote:
> Just started to get clutch slip on the GT. Strangely, this occurs not
> in low gears / hard acceleration, but in higher gears (say 4th) when
> accelerating away from a roundabout for example. This seems very early
> at 26000 miles! Is there any adjustment on the clutch, or will it be a
> new one. Could it be anything else. How much would it cost?
>
> Thanks.

26K? I've done 70K in my 147JTD so far with no problems (and not a light
foot either!) - still my missus slips the bloody clutch when going round
corners so no doubt it'll go soon....

Old May 26th 06, 10:22 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Sound not unusual when i.e. you suffer from a (even very) small leak of the
oil seal on the crackshaft.
At high rev's the oil pressure is high so many drops of oil may leak onto
the clutch assy causing it to slip.
On the other hand, diesel engines have an very high torque even at high
rev's where petrol engine loose torque so this phenonemon show's up at high
revvs rather than at low revs like petrol engines do.
Looks like a guarantee job to me.
On the other hand, are you sure it's not the anti slip system coming in?
Good luck.
--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)

"Grahame" > schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old May 26th 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

alfistagj > wrote:

> Sound not unusual when i.e. you suffer from a (even very) small leak of the
> oil seal on the crackshaft.
> At high rev's the oil pressure is high so many drops of oil may leak onto
> the clutch assy causing it to slip.
> On the other hand, diesel engines have an very high torque even at high
> rev's where petrol engine loose torque so this phenonemon show's up at high
> revvs rather than at low revs like petrol engines do.

Not quite sure that makes sense, given that torque is a calculation
based on power and engine revolutions...... diesels have huge torque
figures because it all happens at low revolutions, petrols have lower
peak torque figures for a given output because it happens (usually) high
up the rev. range.... you can't have both!
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old May 26th 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Grahame" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just started to get clutch slip on the GT. Strangely, this occurs not
> in low gears / hard acceleration, but in higher gears (say 4th) when
> accelerating away from a roundabout for example. This seems very early
> at 26000 miles! Is there any adjustment on the clutch, or will it be a
> new one. Could it be anything else. How much would it cost?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Grahame.

I had the same problem with mine at 19k miles... especially if I used BP
diesel ultimate. Only in higher gears too.

My clutch was replaced under warranty, but I had to agree that if it the
slippage was due to misuse, then I would have to pay £700 for the
replacement.

HTH.

--
Ivan.

Alfa GT
Ex 156 2.5 V6 Veloce
Ex 156 Selespeed (RIP 22 May 03)
Ex 145 QV
Ex 33 16v QV
Ex 33 QV series 1

Old May 26th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Grahame" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just started to get clutch slip on the GT. Strangely, this occurs not
> in low gears / hard acceleration, but in higher gears (say 4th) when
> accelerating away from a roundabout for example. This seems very early
> at 26000 miles! Is there any adjustment on the clutch, or will it be a
> new one. Could it be anything else. How much would it cost?
>
> Thanks.

Best way to check for clutch slip...

Park up, rev engine hard (3000 revs) while in neutral - Slip gear into
third and drop the clutch quick...

If it stalls its not a clutch slip !! It it dont do nothing your clutch is
knackered...

I have known clutches to go after 10k ....

My 156 1.9JTD (basically the same engine and clutch as yours) went at 50k
and i drive very hard.

It would cost me 850 quid at a dealers.. I went to a local independant and
got it done for £390

The problem is that the whole engine chasis has to be lifted to get at the
clutch (or summat like that!)

You might try checking your slave valve - if your clutch pedal is sticky...

If the clutch dont do nothing it can also be the age old problem in that
alfa clutches are pulled rather than pushed and the pulling arms rust and
snap... makes a horrible crunch on the motorway when they do snap !!!

Dom

Old May 26th 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Domestos" <never.you@mind> wrote:

> "Grahame" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Just started to get clutch slip on the GT. Strangely, this occurs not
> > in low gears / hard acceleration, but in higher gears (say 4th) when
> > accelerating away from a roundabout for example. This seems very early
> > at 26000 miles! Is there any adjustment on the clutch, or will it be a
> > new one. Could it be anything else. How much would it cost?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Best way to check for clutch slip...
>
> Park up, rev engine hard (3000 revs) while in neutral - Slip gear into
> third and drop the clutch quick...
>
> If it stalls its not a clutch slip !! It it dont do nothing your clutch is
> knackered...
>
> I have known clutches to go after 10k ....

Only if you drive using the clutch pedal as a footrest or do lots of
'racing' starts.

> My 156 1.9JTD (basically the same engine and clutch as yours) went at 50k
> and i drive very hard.

You drive like a woman, you mean. There's no excuse for such poor clutch
life other than a ****tard behind the wheel.

> It would cost me 850 quid at a dealers.. I went to a local independant and
> got it done for £390

HFM?! That's what my local main dealer charges.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old May 26th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Domestos" <never.you@mind> wrote in message

> "Grahame" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Just started to get clutch slip on the GT. Strangely, this occurs not
>> in low gears / hard acceleration, but in higher gears (say 4th) when
>> accelerating away from a roundabout for example. This seems very early
>> at 26000 miles! Is there any adjustment on the clutch, or will it be a
>> new one. Could it be anything else. How much would it cost?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Best way to check for clutch slip...
>
> Park up, rev engine hard (3000 revs) while in neutral - Slip gear into
> third and drop the clutch quick...
>
> If it stalls its not a clutch slip !! It it dont do nothing your clutch is
> knackered...
>
> I have known clutches to go after 10k ....
>
> My 156 1.9JTD (basically the same engine and clutch as yours) went at 50k
> and i drive very hard.
>
> It would cost me 850 quid at a dealers.. I went to a local independant and
> got it done for £390
>
> The problem is that the whole engine chasis has to be lifted to get at the
> clutch (or summat like that!)
>
> You might try checking your slave valve - if your clutch pedal is
> sticky...
>
> If the clutch dont do nothing it can also be the age old problem in that
> alfa clutches are pulled rather than pushed and the pulling arms rust and
> snap... makes a horrible crunch on the motorway when they do snap !!!
>
> Dom

Thanks to Patrick, cupra, alfistagj, Ivan and Domestos. I think you may have
something about the oil / grease thing. I've noticed that the "slip" only
occurs occasionally. I'm guessing if it was plain and simple wear and tear,
it would slip most of the time. So far, it's only done it about 3 - 4 times
in the last 4 months or so. I'll make an appointment to have it checked over
by the dealer. Cheers!

squeaking clutch at friction point sandheep Mazda 26 February 17th 06 01:30 PM
Master clutch cylinder Skipper Honda 5 February 12th 06 05:41 AM
97 TJ 4.0L Clutch Won't Release - Throw Out Bearing Gone? Tqm Jeep 20 January 19th 06 02:04 AM
Basics of a car simulator Thomas Harte Simulators 20 January 11th 06 10:46 AM
Saturn horror stories- could (will) happen to you! [email protected] Saturn 3 June 22nd 05 12:49 AM