Noise from front end and steering.

Old July 26th 05, 10:28 PM

Default Noise from front end and steering.

I have 2 problems here. Don't know if they are connected.

1. I have a noise when I turn the steering to the right. It's like something
needs to be lubricated and I can feel it through the steering wheel.
This happens only at very low speeds like 5mph. During the course of turning
the wheel +2 turns (like when I exit the garage into the alley) I will hear
it twice at about the same spot on the turn of the wheel.

2. Front end noise from driver side. It feels and sound like something is
loose but I can't find it. Also only at slower speeds (10-30mph). I can feel
this one through the steering wheel too. It's very noticeable when I do a
slow left turn.

Any ideas ?
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AT

Old July 27th 05, 05:13 AM
gordo

> wrote in message
>I have 2 problems here. Don't know if they are connected.
>
> 1. I have a noise when I turn the steering to the right. It's like
> something
> needs to be lubricated and I can feel it through the steering wheel.
> This happens only at very low speeds like 5mph. During the course of
> turning
> the wheel +2 turns (like when I exit the garage into the alley) I will
> hear
> it twice at about the same spot on the turn of the wheel.
>
> 2. Front end noise from driver side. It feels and sound like something is
> loose but I can't find it. Also only at slower speeds (10-30mph). I can
> feel
> this one through the steering wheel too. It's very noticeable when I do a
> slow left turn.
>
> Any ideas ?
> 1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AT

No idea about #1... but concerning problem #2.....
I had a very similar noise in my 96' Explorer which I could not locate
either. Light rattling through steerinf wheel, especially during slow turns
over bumps.
Discussed the problem with a Ford tech friend of of mine. He did some
research on factory TSB's regarding this noise.
Told me to replace the connecting link\bar which goes between the end of the
steering column and the steering gearbox.
It's a 2 piece tubular telescoping unit. Mine was loose internally and was
rattling. The new piece is a beefed up heavier looking part which eliminated
the knocking\rattling sound in my Explorer steering.
Part cost me approx. $100, I installed it myself.

Old July 27th 05, 06:06 AM

Don't you need to re-align the front after you change the tie rods ?

BTW, someone else mentioned this as a possible cause as well.

zoti
nk.net...

Old July 27th 05, 06:16 AM

Can you tell me which part you replaced in the following diagram ?
http://www.parts.com/schematics/imag...al/T028080.gif
This is for a 98 Explorer.

Did you replace the other side as well ?

zoti
nk.net...

Old July 27th 05, 04:55 PM
Steve S.

> Can you tell me which part you replaced in the following diagram ?

http://www.parts.com/schematics/imag...al/T028080.gif
> This is for a 98 Explorer.
>
> Did you replace the other side as well ?
>
> zoti
> "gordo" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>
> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have 2 problems here. Don't know if they are connected.
>>>
>>>1. I have a noise when I turn the steering to the right. It's like
>>>something
>>>needs to be lubricated and I can feel it through the steering wheel.
>>>This happens only at very low speeds like 5mph. During the course of
>>>turning
>>>the wheel +2 turns (like when I exit the garage into the alley) I will
>>>hear
>>>it twice at about the same spot on the turn of the wheel.
>>>
>>>2. Front end noise from driver side. It feels and sound like something

> is
>
>>>loose but I can't find it. Also only at slower speeds (10-30mph). I can
>>>feel
>>>this one through the steering wheel too. It's very noticeable when I do

>>>slow left turn.
>>>
>>>Any ideas ?
>>>1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AT
>>>

>>No idea about #1... but concerning problem #2.....
>>I had a very similar noise in my 96' Explorer which I could not locate
>>either. Light rattling through steerinf wheel, especially during slow

> turns
>
>>over bumps.
>>Discussed the problem with a Ford tech friend of of mine. He did some
>>research on factory TSB's regarding this noise.
>>Told me to replace the connecting link\bar which goes between the end of

> the
>
>>steering column and the steering gearbox.
>>It's a 2 piece tubular telescoping unit. Mine was loose internally and was
>>rattling. The new piece is a beefed up heavier looking part which

> eliminated
>
>>the knocking\rattling sound in my Explorer steering.
>>Part cost me approx. $100, I installed it myself.

I believe he is referring to this part (#2) :

http://www.trademotion.com/schematic...al/T028090.gif

I replaced the same thing on mine. It wasn't rattling but there was some
slop in the joint. No realignment is necessary since this is only a
connecting link between the steering column and the rack and pinion.

Steve
Old July 27th 05, 04:57 PM
Steve S.

Old July 28th 05, 04:33 AM

How do you get to it ? How much work is it ?

I don't think this is the problem though as the noise comes from the left
side only and not when I turn the wheel. There is also no play in the
steering.

zoti

Old July 28th 05, 11:01 PM

The noise happens at slow speed and sounds and feels like a low rattle from
the left. I can hear it and even feel it a bit thought the steering wheel.
The steering doesn't have any play in it at all and the noise doesn't happen
while turning the wheel.

That's why I think it's a suspension component or the tie rod that is
causing the noise and not the part mentioned.

zoti

Old July 29th 05, 02:29 AM
gordo

Yes you are correct...