Off topic, tractor pto shaft

Old April 18th 05, 01:29 PM

Default Off topic, tractor pto shaft

I have a small metal tubing shaft that goes to my dads tiller. The
female end is a little too short and when I get on uneven ground the
male shaft is on the very tip of the female shaft and breaks the female
shaft.

I cant find the female tuning anywhere as it seems to be an odd size.

Is it possible to make some tubing? How would I go about doing that? I
am not an expert metal worker, but I do have some scrap metal around, a
set of torches and a welder. The shaft only needs to be about 20
inches.

Can I somehow tack a piece of plate to the male shaft and "bend" a
piece of plate around it to form a tube? I am guessing that I could not
get the metal hot enough along the whole 20 inches to bend it though.

How much difference in size does the pto female shaft need to be in
size related to the male shaft? I assuming too small and it will not
slide in and out, too large a gap and the male will just sit and spin
inside the female shaft.

Any Advice is appreciated!

Old April 18th 05, 05:40 PM
RV

On 18 Apr 2005 05:29:07 -0700, wrote:

>I have a small metal tubing shaft that goes to my dads tiller. The
>female end is a little too short and when I get on uneven ground the
>male shaft is on the very tip of the female shaft and breaks the female
>shaft.
>
>I cant find the female tuning anywhere as it seems to be an odd size.
>
>Is it possible to make some tubing? How would I go about doing that? I
>am not an expert metal worker, but I do have some scrap metal around, a
>set of torches and a welder. The shaft only needs to be about 20
>inches.
>
>Can I somehow tack a piece of plate to the male shaft and "bend" a
>piece of plate around it to form a tube? I am guessing that I could not
>get the metal hot enough along the whole 20 inches to bend it though.
>
>How much difference in size does the pto female shaft need to be in
>size related to the male shaft? I assuming too small and it will not
>slide in and out, too large a gap and the male will just sit and spin
>inside the female shaft.
>
>Any Advice is appreciated!

If you want to make a pipe a given size.
Get a pipe the next best size up.
You should be able to get pipe of a nominal size or schedule that is
close enough to trim down the seam of it.
Get it cut down the seam (on a cold saw table), belt the gap shut,
At the ends you may need to heat it and belt it a bit rounder to fit a
shaft in it neatly.
Re seam weld along the tube .

Hope that helps.
Old April 18th 05, 07:21 PM
Kevin Bottorff

RV > wrote in
:

> On 18 Apr 2005 05:29:07 -0700, wrote:
>
>>I have a small metal tubing shaft that goes to my dads tiller. The
>>female end is a little too short and when I get on uneven ground the
>>male shaft is on the very tip of the female shaft and breaks the female
>>shaft.
>>
>>I cant find the female tuning anywhere as it seems to be an odd size.
>>
>>Is it possible to make some tubing? How would I go about doing that? I
>>am not an expert metal worker, but I do have some scrap metal around, a
>>set of torches and a welder. The shaft only needs to be about 20
>>inches.
>>
>>Can I somehow tack a piece of plate to the male shaft and "bend" a
>>piece of plate around it to form a tube? I am guessing that I could not
>>get the metal hot enough along the whole 20 inches to bend it though.
>>
>>How much difference in size does the pto female shaft need to be in
>>size related to the male shaft? I assuming too small and it will not
>>slide in and out, too large a gap and the male will just sit and spin
>>inside the female shaft.
>>
>>Any Advice is appreciated!

> If you want to make a pipe a given size.
> Get a pipe the next best size up.
> You should be able to get pipe of a nominal size or schedule that is
> close enough to trim down the seam of it.
> Get it cut down the seam (on a cold saw table), belt the gap shut,
> At the ends you may need to heat it and belt it a bit rounder to fit a
> shaft in it neatly.
> Re seam weld along the tube .
>
> Hope that helps.

he is looking for a hex shaft. KB

--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
Old April 18th 05, 07:44 PM
RV

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:21:18 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff

:

>> On 18 Apr 2005 05:29:07 -0700, wrote:
>>
>>>I have a small metal tubing shaft that goes to my dads tiller. The
>>>female end is a little too short and when I get on uneven ground the
>>>male shaft is on the very tip of the female shaft and breaks the female
>>>shaft.
>>>
>>>I cant find the female tuning anywhere as it seems to be an odd size.
>>>
>>>Is it possible to make some tubing? How would I go about doing that? I
>>>am not an expert metal worker, but I do have some scrap metal around, a
>>>set of torches and a welder. The shaft only needs to be about 20
>>>inches.
>>>
>>>Can I somehow tack a piece of plate to the male shaft and "bend" a
>>>piece of plate around it to form a tube? I am guessing that I could not
>>>get the metal hot enough along the whole 20 inches to bend it though.
>>>
>>>How much difference in size does the pto female shaft need to be in
>>>size related to the male shaft? I assuming too small and it will not
>>>slide in and out, too large a gap and the male will just sit and spin
>>>inside the female shaft.
>>>
>>>Any Advice is appreciated!

>> If you want to make a pipe a given size.
>> Get a pipe the next best size up.
>> You should be able to get pipe of a nominal size or schedule that is
>> close enough to trim down the seam of it.
>> Get it cut down the seam (on a cold saw table), belt the gap shut,
>> At the ends you may need to heat it and belt it a bit rounder to fit a
>> shaft in it neatly.
>> Re seam weld along the tube .
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

>he is looking for a hex shaft. KB

He has weld whatever fitting (hex or spline nut) on the end of his new
longer tube.

The hex or spline does not have to run the full tube length and should
not or itll probably get stuck, the tube just has to be long enough to
support enough shaft inside the tube so it doesnt run at such an angle
it spreads the hex or spline at the end.

Old April 18th 05, 08:10 PM

It is a square tube about 7/8 x 7/8. A solid piece goes into that. It
has to be able to adjust.

Old April 18th 05, 08:39 PM
Napalm Heart

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> It is a square tube about 7/8 x 7/8. A solid piece goes into that.

It
> has to be able to adjust.

You might try posting this to alt.fan.tractors.

Ken

Old April 21st 05, 10:43 PM
Huw

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a small metal tubing shaft that goes to my dads tiller. The
> female end is a little too short and when I get on uneven ground the
> male shaft is on the very tip of the female shaft and breaks the female
> shaft.
>
> I cant find the female tuning anywhere as it seems to be an odd size.
>
> Is it possible to make some tubing? How would I go about doing that? I
> am not an expert metal worker, but I do have some scrap metal around, a
> set of torches and a welder. The shaft only needs to be about 20
> inches.
>
> Can I somehow tack a piece of plate to the male shaft and "bend" a
> piece of plate around it to form a tube? I am guessing that I could not
> get the metal hot enough along the whole 20 inches to bend it though.
>
> How much difference in size does the pto female shaft need to be in
> size related to the male shaft? I assuming too small and it will not
> slide in and out, too large a gap and the male will just sit and spin
> inside the female shaft.
>
> Any Advice is appreciated!

Most shafts are nowadays either lemon or star tubes. Of course the ends have
to fit into the end or the universal joint yolks at either end which are
themselves either male or female size.
You will also need a proper guard which fits properly to the shaft.
Get a shaft made up using proper parts and if the implement end has a
special yolk unique to that implement then reuse that yolk if you have to.
Above all do not compromise safety by neglecting to build your shaft
properly, both in guarding and torque capacity and length range. They tell
me that having your arm ripped off is a bit painful and inconvenient and it
doesn't just happen to other people.

Huw

Old April 21st 05, 11:26 PM
TeGGeR®