new car advice

Old January 25th 05, 07:18 AM
magnulus

Default new car advice

Which is the better strategy?

My dad had an old Crown Victoria that he has driven to death. He spent
thousands of dollars over about a year or so just fixing it up, until
finally the mechanics "found" the problem. Is this kind of crap really
worth it? What's the best strategy to use when buying a car? I tried to
tell him a year or two ago- get in line to get a Prius, but he wouldn't
listen. Instead, he sunk thousands of dollars into his old junker
(actually, it would be a nice travelling car, if it got fixed up, but I
don't believe it's good for driving down to the grocery store).

My current priority for a car is safety, followed by fuel efficiency.
For safety, I want side curtain airbags and ABS, and possibly traction
control. For fuel efficiency, I'd want a hybrid, of course. But the only
two choices in hybrids are the Prius, and the Honda Civic Hybd. (oh, and the
Honda Accord Hybrid). Well, the Accord Hybd gets hardly any better gas
mileage than a Toyota Corolla or a Matrix, or a diesel Jetta, and it costs
30,000 dollars. The Honda Civic Hybrid doesn't have side curtain airbags,
so I'm extremely reluctant to consider this. The Toyota Prius is in limited
supply, a local dealer says it's 4 months before I could have one, and maybe
longer if I have any special requests.

I know bigger cars are better for safety in frontal crashes, but you know
what, I don't intend to drive at night, and especially on a weekend night,
so I'll probably avoid most of the drunk drivers out there who would plow
into my car . So fuel efficiency wins out in my estimation in this area,
and I can settle for a small car. If I get traction control, it'll help
to decrease the chance I'd crash in the first place, but I don't intend to
do stupid stuff like driving fast on a curve in the rain. OTOH, getting
T-boned is a real risk whatever the hour of the day, because intersections
are everywhere, and young speed freaks and cell-phone morons are plentiful
here in Central Florida.

So I am looking seriously at other high MPG cars like Toyota Corolla, a
Scion xA, or a Matrix. But I'd really like to have a hybrid car now rather
than later... so what should I do? Could I work out a deal with a dealer
than I can lease a car for X amount of months until a Prius or a 2006 Honda
Civic Hybrid (which will have curtain airbags standard, AND better MPG) is
available? Or is demanding my leased car have certain safety features
asking for more than I could get?

And lastly, I'm guessing MOST people probably don't give this kind of
thought to buying a car. More like "gee, nice and big, looks safe" or
"wow.... can you say "hemi"? or "gee, that's cute"" True?

Old January 25th 05, 09:59 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..
> Which is the better strategy?

<snipped fpr length>

> And lastly, I'm guessing MOST people probably don't give this kind of
> thought to buying a car. More like "gee, nice and big, looks safe" or
> "wow.... can you say "hemi"? or "gee, that's cute"" True?

I would use the same strategy in buying any new car:

* Do your research and choose which car suits your needs

* Research the hell out of your choice--don't be afraid to spend some money
on books, mechanic's opinions, etc.

* Find out the MSRP, the factory invoice price, and what they're selling for
in your city

* Choose a dealer with a well-equipped, well-staffed service bay that has
excellent customer service

* Make a test-drive checklist, and take along a car guy/girl to look for
issues while you test drive on streets, freeways, tight curves, and
hills--test driving in rain/dark is best

* Make a decision and an offer near the end of the month, and go to the car
lot near closing time

* Don't let the salesman pull those okey-doke tricks they use on
suckers--keep control of the negotiation

* Make a firm offer and don't be afraid to walk out if you don't like the
deal (this is where 99% of car buyers mess up)

* Have them gas up the car and fix any scuffs/dings/imperfections BEFORE you
drive it off the lot or even hand over your money

Good luck and have fun!

Old January 25th 05, 05:03 PM
fbloogyudsr

"magnulus" > wrote
> I know bigger cars are better for safety in frontal crashes, but you
> know
> what, I don't intend to drive at night, and especially on a weekend night,
> so I'll probably avoid most of the drunk drivers out there who would plow
> into my car . So fuel efficiency wins out in my estimation in this area,
> and I can settle for a small car.

This assessment/decision is based upon seriously faulty logic. Do you
remember the general statement that "most crashes occur within 25
miles of your home"? It doesn't matter what you *intend*, the facts
clearly are exactly opposite of your assumptions.

Floyd

Old January 25th 05, 05:05 PM
fbloogyudsr

"magnulus" > wrote
> ... The Toyota Prius is in limited
> supply, a local dealer says it's 4 months before I could have one, and
> maybe
> longer if I have any special requests.

I was at Bob Bridge Toyota in Bellevue, WA (minor problem with my wife's
Highlander): there were 6 Priuses sitting there. If you really want one
you can get them right now.

Floyd

Old January 25th 05, 05:11 PM
fbloogyudsr

"magnulus" > wrote
> ... or a diesel Jetta

I'd get the bigger Passat with TDI ...

Floyd
Old January 25th 05, 05:35 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

If you really care about safety, tell your legislators you want
mandatory prison sentences for DUIs and speeders doing over 80 mph. And
permanent loss of DL.

Old January 25th 05, 07:47 PM
magnulus

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> This assessment/decision is based upon seriously faulty logic. Do you
> remember the general statement that "most crashes occur within 25
> miles of your home"? It doesn't matter what you *intend*, the facts
> clearly are exactly opposite of your assumptions.

But severe collisions are more likely to happen at night, especially
weekend nights, because more people are driving drunk, and of course the
visibility is lower. That's not a wild guess on my part, it's a fact. So
if you want to reduce the risk of being hit by a sloshed driver, don't
drive in the dead of night on a weekend.

Old January 25th 05, 07:50 PM
magnulus

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> If you really care about safety, tell your legislators you want
> mandatory prison sentences for DUIs and speeders doing over 80 mph. And
> permanent loss of DL.

I don't think that approach is realistic. You can rail and rant all you
want, but in the end, you have to look after your own butt first. And I've
seen lots of stupid driver behavior that doesn't fit into the above (people
not signaling would be the biggest complaint).

Old January 25th 05, 11:50 PM
Bill the second

"magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in
> message
> ups.com...
>> If you really care about safety, tell your legislators you want
>> mandatory prison sentences for DUIs and speeders doing over 80 mph. And
>> permanent loss of DL.

> I don't think that approach is realistic. You can rail and rant all
> you
> want, but in the end, you have to look after your own butt first. And
> I've
> seen lots of stupid driver behavior that doesn't fit into the above
> (people
> not signaling would be the biggest complaint).

Don't worry too much, Laura Bush murdered etc. is a resident troll.

Old January 26th 05, 03:00 AM

I noted you didn't say anything about people exceeding the posted speed
limit, only 80mph. Is this because you realize you would have had
prison time and permanent revocation of your DL for doing 41 in the
21mph school zone, moron?