Brake inspection not part of standard service!?

Old July 20th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default Brake inspection not part of standard service!?

Our '02 300M has been serviced regularly at 3000 Mile (never much
longer) intervals by a Chrysler dealer.

Today they called to say that the left rear brake pads are worn to the
point that there is metal-to-metal contact with wear greater than will
permit skimming the rotor, so $290 for new rotor + pads + labor.

I asked how come it could have worn so much in 3000 miles and how come
they didn't detect it 3000 miles ago and replace the pads, saving me the
cost of a new rotor now. They said that checking the brakes is only a
15,000 mile item and that if I want them checked more often it'll cost
me $15 a time.

Surely disk brakes are even easier to check than drum brakes. Why
wouldn't that be a more frequently checked item?

Perce
Old July 20th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Y

"Percival P. Cassidy" > wrote in message
> Our '02 300M has been serviced regularly at 3000 Mile (never much
> longer) intervals by a Chrysler dealer.
>
> Today they called to say that the left rear brake pads are worn to the
> point that there is metal-to-metal contact with wear greater than will
> permit skimming the rotor, so $290 for new rotor + pads + labor.
>
> I asked how come it could have worn so much in 3000 miles and how come
> they didn't detect it 3000 miles ago and replace the pads, saving me the
> cost of a new rotor now. They said that checking the brakes is only a
> 15,000 mile item and that if I want them checked more often it'll cost
> me $15 a time.
>
> Surely disk brakes are even easier to check than drum brakes. Why
> wouldn't that be a more frequently checked item?
>
> Perce

I'd tell them you want the old rotor (it's your right, you own it) and see
if
the story changes.

Personally, I would never turn a rotor, not when brand new they are under
$60 (aftermarket).

Old July 20th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Larry[_11_]

For my 99 Intrepid, I got both rear rotors ($26 each) and both sets of rear
brake pads for $71 total, including tax, at NAPA.

Larry

"Mike Y" > wrote in message ...
:
: "Percival P. Cassidy" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Our '02 300M has been serviced regularly at 3000 Mile (never much
: > longer) intervals by a Chrysler dealer.
: >

Old July 20th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

I guess I'd better stop letting my Chrysler dealer do my work.

Perce

Old July 20th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

Sounds like a good idea considering the age of your car.
After the guarantee period I always get a shop such as Speedy or Midas
do my brakes.

Old July 20th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve B.

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:41:35 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> wrote:

>Surely disk brakes are even easier to check than drum brakes. Why
>wouldn't that be a more frequently checked item?
>
>Perce

Lots of things are easy to check but the dealership is a business and
as a business they need to move cars through as fast as they can to
turn a profit. They don't check all the bulbs either which is another
thing that should be done on a regular basis. If the brakes are as
worn as they are stating they should have been making noise for a
while.

Not to bad mouth the dealers but to me it doesn't make sense to pay
dealer prices to have "easy" repairs done. Find yourself a good
independent shop to take care of you oil changes, brakes and that kind
of stuff and save the hard stuff for the top dollar guys. Those
rotors are pretty cheap in the aftermarket as are the pads but a
dealer is only going to use factory (expensive as hell) parts.

Steve B.
Old July 21st 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 21st 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Steve B. wrote:

> Lots of things are easy to check but the dealership is a business and
> as a business they need to move cars through as fast as they can to
> turn a profit. They don't check all the bulbs either which is another
> thing that should be done on a regular basis. If the brakes are as
> worn as they are stating they should have been making noise for a
> while.

Not necessarily. Coincidentally, just a couple of weeks ago, I had to
replace rear pads and one rear rotor on my Concorde (same car as 300M
brake-wise) because I failed to notice the rear pads were low in time -
my first time ever in 40 years of driving and DIY'ing of letting brakes
on any of my cars go to the point of rotor damage. The pads were
riveted type, and some rivet heads deeply gouged the rotor - no
noticeable noise while that was going on.

> Not to bad mouth the dealers but to me it doesn't make sense to pay
> dealer prices to have "easy" repairs done. Find yourself a good
> independent shop to take care of you oil changes, brakes and that kind
> of stuff and save the hard stuff for the top dollar guys. Those
> rotors are pretty cheap in the aftermarket as are the pads but a
> dealer is only going to use factory (expensive as hell) parts.

Yep. You can get top-end, excellent quality complete rear pad set and
one rotor for under $100 - in fact you'd have trouble spending over $90
for completer rear pads and one rotor. Labor? I can do both wheels in
my driveway in 1 hour - tops - and I am in my mid 50's!

I agree. $290 for that!? I don't think so.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 21st 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ks

Do they advertive an inspection with every oil change, if not why would you
assume so.

Dealers are damed no mater what they do. People want the price of a quick
lube (who will recomend and new air filter and try to sell you a coulant
flush and tranny flush every 3000 miles) and the service of a best freind
private mechinc.

It's your car unless you ask for something to be inspected you need to
assume it hasn't been.

KS

Old July 21st 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Percival P. Cassidy" > wrote in message
> Our '02 300M has been serviced regularly at 3000 Mile (never much
> longer) intervals by a Chrysler dealer.
>
> Today they called to say that the left rear brake pads are worn to the
> point that there is metal-to-metal contact with wear greater than will
> permit skimming the rotor, so $290 for new rotor + pads + labor.
>
> I asked how come it could have worn so much in 3000 miles and how come
> they didn't detect it 3000 miles ago and replace the pads, saving me the
> cost of a new rotor now. They said that checking the brakes is only a
> 15,000 mile item and that if I want them checked more often it'll cost
> me $15 a time.
>
> Surely disk brakes are even easier to check than drum brakes. Why
> wouldn't that be a more frequently checked item?
>
> Perce

Alot of dealers have a lube tech and all he does is oil changes. Doesn't
check the vehicle over just gets them in and out. If the dealer offers a
special on an oil change like having it done in a certain time or you get it
free they may not check your vehicle out either. You would also be surprised
of how many people come in and ask for and oil change and get mad that the
technicians pulled wheels to check brakes. Do an oil change and give the
customer an estimate of brakes and they said I never asked you to check my
brakes.

Glenn

How much does an Inspection service cost(£) from BMW for a E46? [email protected] BMW 2 October 30th 06 05:22 PM
Inspection II Brake Pads Lordy BMW 7 January 11th 06 09:50 AM
How do I pass brake light inspection? Sam Nickaby Honda 11 August 8th 05 08:25 PM
How do I pass brake light inspection? Sam Nickaby Technology 11 August 8th 05 08:25 PM
Brake loss 30 minutes after auto inspection??????!!!! [email protected] Technology 15 April 16th 05 01:41 AM