Delay to start

Old September 19th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Y

Default Delay to start

While driving my girlfriends 2002 Grand Cherokee, sometimes the system
would refuse to start. I'd have to take the key out, hit the 'unlock'
button,
then try again. Once or twice I noticed a 'security' light on the dash as
well, but it's not a big deal.

Yesterday something new happened. I went to start it and nothing. I
was just starting to release the key and try again and it started.

I know, perception is a strange thing, but I swear it was well over a second
from when I turned the key and it finally engaged the starter. Maybe
even two whole seconds.

I'm under the impression that the key just sends a signal to the body
computer
to start, and the motor could actually be started just from commands on
the vehicle bus. But I wonder, what could cause the delay like this?

Old September 19th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Do you hear a click and then nothing? If so, it could be the solenoid
contacts have failed. Do a Google search on this to find a wealth of good
info. If no click, then check battery connections, ignition key switch, and
the starter relay circuit. You do not indicate mileage, but from my
experience, most Chrysler starters fail around 60-80K miles.

Good luck. The parts are easy and cheap to replace so don't buy a rebuilt
starter unless you have a lot of $ to spare or can't wait for the parts.

Bob

Old September 20th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Y

Nope, no click. I don't believe this is a mechanical/electrical issue. At
least, not down at the starter. And it's not really an issue as such. It's
just a anomaly that makes me wonder...

With a lot of the newer cars, the starter seems to be controlled by one of
the computers, and the key just signals the computer to start the process.
It's almost like the computer in the car goes into a suspend and when you
turn the key to start it has to wake up the computer and then begin the
start process.

The other thing I wonder is since the security system sometimes prevents
starting (something else I can't seem to figure out why, but just turning
the
key off, toggling the key fob to unlock the doors, then turning the key on
clears the problem) also makes me wonder. But at least in the security
issue case, there's a dash light that goes on and says 'security'.

Old September 20th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Mike Y wrote:

> Nope, no click. I don't believe this is a mechanical/electrical issue. At
> least, not down at the starter. And it's not really an issue as such. It's
> just a anomaly that makes me wonder...
>
> With a lot of the newer cars, the starter seems to be controlled by one of
> the computers, and the key just signals the computer to start the process.
> It's almost like the computer in the car goes into a suspend and when you
> turn the key to start it has to wake up the computer and then begin the
> start process.

Yes, I notice this on LOTS of modern cars. GMs are the worst, because
not only do they delay engaging the starter, they KEEP it engaged until
the engine starts even if you release the key. Really makes you feel
like you're only giving suggestions to the computer and its actually
running the car. I don't like that.

Old September 22nd 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

cealn battery posts and terminals goog as well as top of battery

Old September 24th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Y

Uh, no.

Well, ok, tell me why? There are no lights dimming or other indications
of current limiting. How would cleaning the battery terminals help?

Old September 30th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

poor connectio between sufaces of posts and cables see it all the time

Sorry for delay... kenmo Auto Photos 1 July 18th 07 05:14 PM
Where is the Wiper delay module for a 91 cherokee?..I think mine failed..got no delay fuction.. Scootter Jeep 5 March 6th 07 02:41 AM
Delay of the day MLOM Driving 3 November 28th 06 04:35 AM
S4 throttle delay Pete Stolz Audi 7 September 29th 06 10:34 PM
Fuel Pump Delay iPlay1515 Technology 4 June 8th 06 02:49 PM