Blown Head Gasket???

Old April 24th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Blown Head Gasket???

I have a 90 chevy 1500, 5.7, Dual exhaust, headers. The problem is I
noticed white smoke comming out the drivers side exhaust on my way home
from work, I pulled over and found it to be antifreeze. I then went about
2 miles to a place to park untill i could trailer it home. When I loaded
it, it had coolant coming out both sides of the exhaust.
Head Gasket? Intake Gasket?
No oil in the radiator. No coolant in the oil
when it happend, it was running fine didn't overheat, but after i pulled
off the road the second time it started running rough Really Rough. Any

Old April 24th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

jdh4 wrote:

> I have a 90 chevy 1500, 5.7, Dual exhaust, headers. The problem is I
> noticed white smoke comming out the drivers side exhaust on my way home
> from work, I pulled over and found it to be antifreeze. I then went about
> 2 miles to a place to park untill i could trailer it home. When I loaded
> it, it had coolant coming out both sides of the exhaust.
> Head Gasket? Intake Gasket?
> No oil in the radiator. No coolant in the oil
> when it happend, it was running fine didn't overheat, but after i pulled
> off the road the second time it started running rough Really Rough. Any

if its both sides it might just be the intake....
would be worth pulling it off to see. if thats all it is it will be easy
to fix...if not your half way to pulling the heads off...
Old April 24th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:32:33 -0400, "
> wrote:

>jdh4 wrote:
>
>> I have a 90 chevy 1500, 5.7, Dual exhaust, headers. The problem is I
>> noticed white smoke comming out the drivers side exhaust on my way home
>> from work, I pulled over and found it to be antifreeze. I then went about
>> 2 miles to a place to park untill i could trailer it home. When I loaded
>> it, it had coolant coming out both sides of the exhaust.
>> Head Gasket? Intake Gasket?
>> No oil in the radiator. No coolant in the oil
>> when it happend, it was running fine didn't overheat, but after i pulled
>> off the road the second time it started running rough Really Rough. Any
>> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>if its both sides it might just be the intake....
>would be worth pulling it off to see. if thats all it is it will be easy
>to fix...if not your half way to pulling the heads off...

While I tend to agree that intake would be first thing to check, it is
not too promising unless gasket is leaking on both sides. Header can
really raise under hood temps though and can be hard on some gaskets.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old April 24th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Pulled off the intake. Gasket was pretty nasty
but I'm not sure it is the intake. no water marks across from the water
jackets, and no water in the top of the block, so im going to take the
heads off and inspect..
Now does anyone have suggestions on pulling the pully off of the power
steering to get to the bracket bolts?

Old April 24th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:52:06 -0400, "jdh4" > wrote:

>Pulled off the intake. Gasket was pretty nasty
>but I'm not sure it is the intake. no water marks across from the water
>jackets, and no water in the top of the block, so im going to take the
>heads off and inspect..
> Now does anyone have suggestions on pulling the pully off of the power
>steering to get to the bracket bolts?

THere has to be a way to remove pump without removing pulley becayse
they would no spend that much time assembling it on line when truck
was built. Can pump be removed from bracket and then bracket removed?
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old April 24th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

How about a box end wrench or just take the bracket off the engine. I
have never heard of the pulley needing to come off.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 25th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

jdh4 wrote:
> I have a 90 chevy 1500, 5.7, Dual exhaust, headers. The problem is I
> noticed white smoke comming out the drivers side exhaust on my way home
> from work, I pulled over and found it to be antifreeze. I then went about
> 2 miles to a place to park untill i could trailer it home. When I loaded
> it, it had coolant coming out both sides of the exhaust.
> Head Gasket? Intake Gasket?
> No oil in the radiator. No coolant in the oil
> when it happend, it was running fine didn't overheat, but after i pulled
> off the road the second time it started running rough Really Rough. Any

Had that happen to me once and it turned out I had a cracked block.
Hope it's just a gasket or even a head.

Good luck,
- JJ