Help tuning an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm

Old March 16th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Help tuning an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm

My engine keeps flooding when i try to start it. I just purchased this
carb for my 79 firebird with a 350. I can't tune my carb if my engine
won't run. can anyone give any suggestions...HELP

Old March 16th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

did you set the floats? is the needle valve seating? what is the fuel pump
pressure?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 16th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I would be checking the float and needle seat first. I would hold the
choke plate open and while wearing safety glasses watch down the throat
when someone cranks it. If gas is pouring into the carb, then the
needle and seat and float need to be looked at. The needles dry out or
their slide area gets some 'varnish' in it and makes them stick. Modern
fuels crap out the slide area in my carb's float needle every year or so
and seems to 'dry out' it's tip every couple years. I have to pull it
out for a clean and replace it often.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's