advice on fish

Old January 25th 04, 12:10 AM
coelacanth

Default advice on fish

Actually, I'd get more corys. They are great when you get 6-8
together--very active, very entertaining. Beyond that, I think
it's a matter of taste, experience and skills (hatchets are much
harder than danios, for example). Just my two bits (JM2B?)

-coelacanth

"animaux" wrote in message
news

we just picked up a 55-gallon tank my sister was getting rid of, it

cleaned up
beautifully, but now i'm a little undecided on what to populate it with.

I was planning on keeping it to one species, at most two. it's a given

that
we'll get a couple of Cory cats for it, but here's what we're thinking of

for
the rest:

- gourami
- hatchet fish
- rosy barbs
- bleeding heart tetra's
- guppies
- silver dollars
- tiger barbs
- giant daino's

right now i'm leaning toward's 6-8 gourami, but don't know much about them
(agression-wise).

any advice on which are the easiest to keep, least agressive with each

other,
etc, would be appreciated. there'll be no fake plants, and we got a couple

of
power heads in the deal. the tank is 23" high x 48" long x 13" deep. it

will be
located in the computer room so walk-through traffic will be minimal.

thanks,

Old January 25th 04, 01:08 AM
Tedd Jacobs

"animaux" wrote...

[...]

i love tiger barbs. that is an awful lot of tank for just 6-8 of them though
(6-8 is generally the best sized group). i dont know how well they would work
out being mixed with gouramis in that type of environment. my experience with
mixing them did not work well at all, however, i only had one neon dwarf in a
tank with a group of barbs so... my experience isnt worth much in that respect
(except to say i know better now. ;-) ). even with how much i love barbs, doing
a single species in a tank like that i'd lean towards the gouramis too. a very
beautiful and colorful fish that would give a bit more display than the tigers,
though the tigers would be a bit more active.

JMO, HTH. :-)

tedd.

Old January 25th 04, 02:07 AM
wawa

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

Ive got pearl gourami's, 3 spot gourami, paradise gourami's, dwarf gourami's
in the same tank. The dont fight althought the 3 spot and a paradise fish
like to chase each other. I also have seven cory's, everyone gets along
great. I have three feeder guppies in too, i suspect they'll be eaten as
soon as they can fit in a gourami's mouth. My gf has danios and barbs in
with some very large gourami's and cory's, no problems there either.

Old January 25th 04, 04:27 AM
Rick

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

if you go with Gourami's skip the Tiger Barbs who will nip the fins of other
fish. Silver dollars get to about 5" although I have seen them much bigger.
Hatchet fish are nice but are great jumpers, make sure you have a good
fitting canopy.. Giant Danios are good community fish, reach a size of about
4" and are easy to spawn if you get into that. I like Rosy Barbs however
again they get to be about twice the size of Tiger Barbs reaching about 6"
although not as aggressive as Tigers. Guppies, well what can you say, they
are the million fish , buy a male and 3 females and before long you will
need a bigger tank, although the tank mates will likely take care of most of
the fry. Personally I like Tiger Barbs. A tank your size would accommodate a
large group of them and they are quite impressive in a species tank. The
more the merrier with them as it helps eliminate aggression. pearl gourmasis
( Trichogaster leeri) are absolutely a lovely fish. I'm in the process of
breeding a pair right now. They are quite hardy and peaceful. You picks do
include fish that normally like different water ranging from acidic to
alkaline however they should all do O.K.

Rick

Old January 25th 04, 05:05 PM
STEELHEAD

Dont mix gourami's and tetras. Gourami food lol. gouramis like to pick on
verything especially mellow fish like tetras, mollys,guppies etc.

Old January 25th 04, 10:20 PM
NetMax

"animaux" wrote in message
news

we just picked up a 55-gallon tank my sister was getting rid of, it

cleaned up
beautifully, but now i'm a little undecided on what to populate it

with.

I was planning on keeping it to one species, at most two. it's a given

that
we'll get a couple of Cory cats for it, but here's what we're thinking

of for
the rest:

More corys )

- gourami

Gouramis are somewhat territorial, and large specimens can be very
disruptive. The Pearl gourami is probably the largest which remains
well-behaved. Dwarfs would do well in a tank that size (they can be a
bother to each other in smaller tanks). Blues, Opalines and/or Golds
should be raised together to minimize agression. I listed them in what I
think is least to most aggressive. Chocolate, Pygmy and other small
gouramis can make very interesting additions, if your overall fish sizes
and agression levels are kept low.

- hatchet fish

Top feeders which can be a bit tricky. The Silvers are the easiest, but
the smaller Marbles are more distinctive.

- rosy barbs

There is a gold variety of the Green barb which is quite striking. Don't
have the sci.name offhand.

- bleeding heart tetra's

Yup, and Phantoms, Red-eyes, Glowlights, Rummy-nose, Silver tips etc etc.

- guppies

This is your only hard-water fish in the lot. Unless you will be at
acidic water extremes, they might do fine, and their babies will do even
better.

- silver dollars

Can you spell 'lawnmower'? And then there is their eventual size ;~)

- tiger barbs

The juvenile deliquents of the fish world. With only Tiger barbs, the
tank is active and entertaining. Drop something mild in there (ie:
Angelfish, Betta etc) and .. oh oh. What was playful with each other,
often becomes tormenting with other fish. They are usually fine with
similarly nimble fish (ie: Redtail or Rainbow sharks) and many catfish,
loaches etc.

- giant daino's

Big, very active, very agressive feeder. Fun to have, not too manic,
suitable for larger tanks with lots of plant shelter (for everyone else
;~), but a pain to get food past, if you have small slower tetras in with
them (the ground crew needs to get sinking pellets).

right now i'm leaning toward's 6-8 gourami, but don't know much about

them
(agression-wise).

any advice on which are the easiest to keep, least agressive with each

other,
etc, would be appreciated. there'll be no fake plants, and we got a

couple of
power heads in the deal. the tank is 23" high x 48" long x 13" deep. it

will be
located in the computer room so walk-through traffic will be minimal.

Powerheads will probably be positioned to minimize the overall
turbulence. Usually used to drive UGFs, but perhaps you will want
something else. Check out your options first at thekrib.com.

NetMax

thanks,

Old January 25th 04, 10:32 PM
Trina

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:05:54 -0500, "STEELHEAD"
wrote:

Dont mix gourami's and tetras. Gourami food lol. gouramis like to pick on
verything especially mellow fish like tetras, mollys,guppies etc.
"animaux" wrote in message

I have two Gouramis with 5 small fancy guppies. The only fish the
larger of the two Gourami bothers is the smaller Gourami, he gets
territorial and chases him. Every once in a while he'll check out the
Pl*co but doesn't harass him, he's just curious.
Keep in mind that every setup is different as is every fish.

Trina
Yukon, Canada
44gal./tall pent/fresh

Old February 3rd 04, 09:27 AM
Sam

Have you thought of killifish? they are pretty cool in my book and they
come in so many wonderful colors.
http://www.aka.org/
check out the web site for some pictures of these great fish. they are real
charmers.