Betta "respite care"

Old November 14th 03, 01:01 PM
Flash Wilson

Default Betta "respite care"

A thought, perhaps a far-fetched one, who knows.

My male betta has been lethargic for ages, although he is probably
just old. He prefers hot weather (loved 30C for some reason!) and
also responds to me, food and the missus in the adjacent tank.

However he has - and has had for ages - white growth in his fins,
not fluffy, and doesn't seem to be getting better or worse.

I was wondering if a spell in my 4ft tank, in a breeding net box
so he is safe, would help. It is a little warmer than his tank
(which is a stable temperature but a little cooler) and has
had no illness in the whole time its been set up.

The water in the Betta tank is changed regularly but I was wondering
whether the clean, warm water in the 4ft tank might be nice for
him, perk him up a bit and maybe his fin will heal? The pH is
similar, so is the salt level (very low) so there'd be no shock.

Might this help him? Or might it introduce disease to the healthy
tank? I'm not sure whether it would be a nice holiday for him!

--
Flash Wilson
Going abroad? Please take a photo of a pylon in another country!
Old November 15th 03, 06:55 PM
Lady Samsara

(TYNK 7) wrote in message ...
Subject: Betta "respite care"
From:
(Flash Wilson)
Date: 11/14/2003 6:01 AM Central Standard Time
[...]

^ Yes. To both.

I am going through a similiar situation with my 2 year old first
Betta. He has had trouble swimming and thought I'd move him to
something with more surface area. I decided at this point the stress
of moving him would outweigh any possible advantages. Not sure if
this would apply to yours but thought if he was older and used to
"his" tank, the move may freak him out and do more harm than good. I
hope he feels better soon.
Old November 17th 03, 06:15 AM
TYNK 7

From: (Lady Samsara)
Date: 11/15/2003 11:55 AM Central Standard Time
From:
(Flash Wilson)
Date: 11/14/2003 6:01 AM Central Standard Time
[...]

I too am at this stage with 2 of my males. I really hate this point. They've
been around with you for years, lived out their lives well cared for, and end
up so old that they can't even swim right. Poor things.
As much as I hate those Betta hex tanks, I bought a double Betta Hex....and am
going to remove the divider so my old guy has some room to stretch his fins
when he wants to (which he still does from time to time). He lives in a 1g,
lighted tank now and it's just too tall for him. He's old and fragile and needs
a little help these days reaching the surface. He's taking his favorite silk
plant with him, as he uses it as a hammock-resting spot to easily get a gulp of
air.
His name is Spirit, and was bought on 9-11-02. He was fully grown then and
full of spirit on such a gloomy day, that he had to come home. It's hard to see
him like this.
The other boy is a little younger, and isn't ready for old folks home quite
yet, but not long at all. He's just now starting to have a little trouble
swimming around.
My youngest male is right next to him and doesn't really flare at the old
bugger.....that's not the case with the other male on the othe side though,
hehe.

Old November 17th 03, 12:29 PM
Flash Wilson

On 17 Nov 2003 05:15:16 GMT, TYNK 7 wrote:
I was wondering if a spell in my 4ft tank, in a breeding net box
so he is safe, would help. It is a little warmer than his tank
(which is a stable temperature but a little cooler) and has
had no illness in the whole time its been set up.

I am going through a similiar situation with my 2 year old first
Betta. He has had trouble swimming and thought I'd move him to
something with more surface area. I decided at this point the stress
of moving him would outweigh any possible advantages. Not sure if
this would apply to yours but thought if he was older and used to
"his" tank, the move may freak him out and do more harm than good. I
hope he feels better soon.

Hmmm. Maybe then.

I too am at this stage with 2 of my males. I really hate this point. They've
been around with you for years, lived out their lives well cared for, and end
up so old that they can't even swim right. Poor things.

Well, he still gets up a bit and he can swim when he wants to, he just
doesn't fancy it much. He still makes half-hearted nests and comes for
food and stuff. So I don't think it's cruel to keep him or any of that
stuff. But if I can help him I'd like to.

Hmm. Still not sure if I'd be helping or hindering.

--
Flash Wilson
-=-=-=-=-=-=-"Problems do have solutions you know"-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A betta and a 2 gallon bowl Gregory_Asr General 7 October 23rd 03 04:37 PM
What my 5 year old feeds her betta Dave Millman General 9 September 10th 03 01:50 PM
bloated Betta Donald Kerns General 0 August 30th 03 07:35 PM
Very weak betta Renee General 18 August 20th 03 04:19 AM
Betta advice, please Eric Schreiber General 8 August 14th 03 04:16 AM