Should I let dealer swap bumpers on new Accord?

Old February 21st 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Should I let dealer swap bumpers on new Accord?

I'm looking at a 2006 Accord Sedan SE which is Royal Blue Pearl. I love
the car. It drives great.

But, the rear bumper is scratch on the right rear. They tried to buff it
out and, of course it's no suprise that, they actually made it worse. The
scratches are mostly gone, but paint is now 'foggy'.

They have offered to swap rear bumpers with an EX V6 to deal with the
issue. I said no, thinking that the entire car was painted as a whole and,
while the colors might be named the same, there might be some slight
difference causing it to stand out.

This doesn't even address the damage they would probably cause just doing
the swap.

Anybody think I should let them do the swap? I really do like the car.

PJ

--

Remove both XX's from e-mail to reply.
Old February 21st 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"Patrick Maloney" > wrote in message
. 165...
> I'm looking at a 2006 Accord Sedan SE which is Royal Blue Pearl. I love
> the car. It drives great.
>
> But, the rear bumper is scratch on the right rear. They tried to buff it
> out and, of course it's no suprise that, they actually made it worse. The
> scratches are mostly gone, but paint is now 'foggy'.
>
> They have offered to swap rear bumpers with an EX V6 to deal with the
> issue. I said no, thinking that the entire car was painted as a whole
> and,
> while the colors might be named the same, there might be some slight
> difference causing it to stand out.
>
> This doesn't even address the damage they would probably cause just doing
> the swap.
>
> Anybody think I should let them do the swap? I really do like the car.

Let them do the swap and then decide if you're happy with how the colours
match up between the body panels.

Brian

Old February 21st 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"Brian Smith" > wrote in

> Let them do the swap and then decide if you're happy with how the
> colours match up between the body panels.

Yeah, I'm sort of leaning that way...

--

Remove both XX's from e-mail to reply.
Old February 21st 06, 04:51 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Patrick Maloney wrote:
> I'm looking at a 2006 Accord Sedan SE which is Royal Blue Pearl. I love
> the car. It drives great.
>
> But, the rear bumper is scratch on the right rear. They tried to buff it
> out and, of course it's no suprise that, they actually made it worse. The
> scratches are mostly gone, but paint is now 'foggy'.
>
> They have offered to swap rear bumpers with an EX V6 to deal with the
> issue. I said no, thinking that the entire car was painted as a whole and,
> while the colors might be named the same, there might be some slight
> difference causing it to stand out.
>
> This doesn't even address the damage they would probably cause just doing
> the swap.
>
> Anybody think I should let them do the swap? I really do like the car.

If they do the swap, are you obligated to buy? I'd ask for the swap on
the condition you can back out, if they are that confident in their
work, they should agree.

OTOH, you may go through the bumper swap only to have some moron bump
you in the mall parking lot.

Old February 21st 06, 11:29 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

If you are paying for a new car it seems unfair to offer one that had any
type of body damage.
I had the same experience with a new Saturn SL2 where they damaged the front
bumper in transit (so they said) and offered me a brand new bumper.
I took their offer but found later that they had poorly mounted the new
bumper and, when I parked with the bumper barely rubbing the parking island,
the new bumper just came apart when I backed out.
When I brought the car back and demanded that they refund my money as they
promised within 30 days, they said:
Since I had incurred body damage the car was no longer new and the 30 day
return policy was voided. So ask for another car fresh from the production
line or go somewhere else.

Old February 21st 06, 12:20 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"murray" > wrote in message
> If you are paying for a new car it seems unfair to offer one that had any
> type of body damage.
> I had the same experience with a new Saturn SL2 where they damaged the
> front
> bumper in transit (so they said) and offered me a brand new bumper.
> I took their offer but found later that they had poorly mounted the new
> bumper and, when I parked with the bumper barely rubbing the parking
> island,
> the new bumper just came apart when I backed out.
> When I brought the car back and demanded that they refund my money as they
> promised within 30 days, they said:
> Since I had incurred body damage the car was no longer new and the 30 day
> return policy was voided.

Let me get this straight. YOU did damage to the car and YOU expected the
dealership to repair YOUR damage for free. Am I correct in the way I read
what you are saying?

Old February 21st 06, 02:19 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

I would rather have the swap than a repainted bumper. The question is how
good are they swapping it without damaging the good one.

I'd get a little off the price if I was taking a car like this. Maybe throw
in a few accessories or service?

G-Man

Old February 21st 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Waiving the right to remain silent, Patrick Maloney
> said:

> They have offered to swap rear bumpers with an EX V6 to deal
> with the issue. I said no, thinking that the entire car was
> painted as a whole and, while the colors might be named the
> same, there might be some slight difference causing it to stand
> out.

If they are plastic bumpers, then they are probably not painted at
the same time as the body. Different paint formulations, IIRC.

"I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me
about the environment!" - 'Denny Crane'
Old February 21st 06, 06:00 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

I know you love the car, and your not asking me for your advice, just
keep in mind that within a few months, your have a lot more then just a
few scratches on your bumper, rear and front. No car can stay in
pervert condition, well, unless you never drive it.