Update: overheating 4.0L

Old May 7th 05, 11:14 PM
dcollivier

Default Update: overheating 4.0L

Well I had a few people take a look at the engine and all signs pointed to
the water pump. So I changed it and the thermostat just to make sure,
flushed the heater core and the rad, and cleaned out the overflow bottle. I
filled the system and let it run with the cap off, and it overheated just as
it did before. I have a new fan clutch, but I don't think it is faulty, so
I may not install it. I ran the Jeep with the electric fan jumped to the
battery, and it still overheated. The rad feels hot at the bottom and warm
on top and the overflow bottle has a lot of flow inside. I am now thinking
the head gasket may be the problem, as there are tiny bubbles in the coolant
in the overflow. Any suggestions???? I am tired of throwing parts into
it...

Dave...

Old May 8th 05, 12:18 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Dave,
They can chemically test for exhaust gases in the radiator at any
shop. A head gasket leak usually won't over heat at idle, it's the
faster you drive the hotter it gets.
I have bought four for four wrongly boxed AMC/Chrysler 6/4 water
pumps, I should have warned you earlier, as you will have to take it
apart to double check the propeller direct:
http://www.billhughes.com/waterPump.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 8th 05, 01:35 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well I know you triple checked to make sure you installed the correct
rotation water pump for your engine.
And I will ASSuME that you correctly wired up the electric fan. I remember
seeing a car that was overheating at a shop. I felt for air flow and felt
no real air flowing through the radiator. The fan was wired backwards. lol
Of course crud blocking air flow through the fins of the radiator and/or a/c
condenser will also allow for a overheating problem.

When I first started driving mine with a rebuilt engine, I noticed the
temperature starting to rise when driving fast. This I believe was
partially due to a faulty EGR system.

How long does it take for the engine to overheat? And you are sure that the
coolant sensor for the gauge is fine?????
--
later,
dave AKA vwdoc1

. ..

Old May 8th 05, 05:32 PM
dcollivier

It overheats after about 10 minutes at idle and quicker on the road. The
electric fan does not turn on, but I wired it direct to the battery and it
still over heated. The water pump is the same as the one I took out, and
that one was fine for about three years of driving. I suspect the head
gasket is faulty and at 35.00 Canadian not a bad price. I have to seal the
cover anyway so my time is cheap, but not sure on the dye test for cracks on
the head after it is off. There is lots of air flow through the rad, and
the fan seams to be pulling lots of volume. I bought the book yesterday and
will tackle it later today. The little bubbles in the overflow are too
suspicious not to. Thanks to all who replied...

Dave....

m...

Old May 9th 05, 03:45 PM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

How old is the vehicle? could be a cloged radiator.

Patrick

Old May 9th 05, 04:32 PM
jeff

Check for a collapsed hose on suction side of radiator. I have seen the
springs that are suppose to be in there to hold them open rust to the
point of nonexistance.

--
jeff

Old May 11th 05, 01:34 PM
Mike Romain

There is one sure way to test the fan before you start ripping it
apart. Heat up the engine and have someone shut it off while you watch
the fan. If the fan does not stop almost instantly, the clutch is dead.

Tiny bubble can be caused by the little bypass hole in some
thermostats. They have this little brass plug that flops around.

Headgasket foam looks like dishsoap bubbles and keeps on growing.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

overheating 4.0L dcollivier Jeep 2 May 5th 05 01:32 PM
Engine overheating and No heat inside the car? [email protected] VW water cooled 6 February 27th 05 02:39 PM
Arizona Emissions Update! Laurie S. Ford Mustang 0 January 24th 05 08:26 PM
96 Sentra... Need advice on overheating problem Al Kondo Technology 3 December 30th 04 10:15 PM
Jeep Overheating tj 4x4 2 August 31st 04 03:44 AM