R & R 91 Tercel starter

Old December 21st 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tim B

Default R & R 91 Tercel starter

My mom's 91 Tercel is acting like the starter solenoid contacts need
replacement. The location of the starter looks awkward to reach. What's the
best approach to removing it? Is there a way to get it out without removal
of the intake manifold? Any pictures available on a site somewhere? I don't
have a sevice manual.

Old December 21st 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BobJ

Tim B wrote:
> My mom's 91 Tercel is acting like the starter solenoid contacts need
> replacement. The location of the starter looks awkward to reach. What's the
> best approach to removing it? Is there a way to get it out without removal
> of the intake manifold? Any pictures available on a site somewhere? I don't
> have a sevice manual.

You may get a response here, but why don't you try the
toyota newsgroup?
Old December 21st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

BobJ > wrote in :

> Tim B wrote:
>> My mom's 91 Tercel is acting like the starter solenoid contacts need
>> replacement. The location of the starter looks awkward to reach.
>> What's the best approach to removing it? Is there a way to get it out
>> without removal of the intake manifold? Any pictures available on a
>> site somewhere? I don't have a sevice manual.
>>

> You may get a response here, but why don't you try the
> toyota newsgroup?

He already did. He was directed by a respondent to take a look at
AutoZone's online documentation (URL provided).

Guess he wants this handed to him on a silver platter, so he's tried
independently posting the identical same thing here instead of crossposting
as he should have from the beginning.

--
Tegger

Old December 21st 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Tim B" > wrote in

> My mom's 91 Tercel is acting like the starter solenoid contacts need
> replacement. The location of the starter looks awkward to reach.
> What's the best approach to removing it? Is there a way to get it out
> without removal of the intake manifold? Any pictures available on a
> site somewhere? I don't have a sevice manual.

Mom's too cheap to buy a shop manual, huh? Or is she worried about a little
knowledge being a dangerous thing so she wants to keep you from damaging
her car by trying to learn on it?

If your 3E is anything like the '99 Tercel's 5E, you remove the air cleaner
hose and intake manifold stay, and out she comes.

--
Tegger

Old December 23rd 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tim B

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> BobJ > wrote in :
>
> > Tim B wrote:
> >> My mom's 91 Tercel is acting like the starter solenoid contacts need
> >> replacement. The location of the starter looks awkward to reach.
> >> What's the best approach to removing it? Is there a way to get it out
> >> without removal of the intake manifold? Any pictures available on a
> >> site somewhere? I don't have a sevice manual.
> >>

> > You may get a response here, but why don't you try the
> > toyota newsgroup?
> >

> He already did. He was directed by a respondent to take a look at
> AutoZone's online documentation (URL provided).

Which didn't really help.

> Guess he wants this handed to him on a silver platter, so he's tried
> independently posting the identical same thing here instead of

crossposting
> as he should have from the beginning.

Do you use shop manuals? Do you consider their instructions to be handing it
to you on silver platter?

Perhaps I should have anticipated not getting a helpful answer on the
Toytota group, and crossposted it here originally.

Old December 23rd 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tim B

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Tim B" > wrote in
>
> > My mom's 91 Tercel is acting like the starter solenoid contacts need
> > replacement. The location of the starter looks awkward to reach.
> > What's the best approach to removing it? Is there a way to get it out
> > without removal of the intake manifold? Any pictures available on a
> > site somewhere? I don't have a sevice manual.
> >

> Mom's too cheap to buy a shop manual, huh?

No, she's 71 years old and on a low fixed income. I'm trying to save her
some money on the repair, plus she could not get it done at a shop until
Thursday because of closures for Christmas, and she's concerned about her
car not starting reliably until then because she's crippled and can't walk
anywhere.

> Or is she worried about a little
> knowledge being a dangerous thing so she wants to keep you from damaging
> her car by trying to learn on it?

I'm not learning on her car. I'm not a 17 year old kid.

> If your 3E is anything like the '99 Tercel's 5E, you remove the air

cleaner
> hose and intake manifold stay, and out she comes.

I've found a toyota forum where someone recommends disconnecting the
starter cable and wires and one mounting bolt from underneath the car,
removing the air cleaner and then removing the other mounting bolt from the
top. I'm not looking forward to jacking up the car on a gravel driveway and
crawling underneath it in this weather.