1998 Dodge Neon 5 spd

Old June 2nd 05, 12:22 AM
Diane5448

Default 1998 Dodge Neon 5 spd

I have oil in the water in my radiator. It has just recently shown up.
The car somtimes starts to run hot when I have the A/C on. Is this
related? What would make oil show up in the water in the radiator? I
don't have water in the oil or leaking from my tailpipe so I don't think
it is the head gasket but I could be wrong.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:14 AM
rob

possible cracked heads or blown head gasket......have the cooling system
pressure tested.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 2nd 05, 02:15 AM
ArchTaib

hi there

how much oil is the rad? if it's like.. a teenie lil bitty bit on the
surface.. it could be something that was in the rad before --and let loose
when it got hot, but if the amount continues to grow, i would start checking
things like the head gasket. *if anyone knows how the systems tie together
on the newer cars, please fill me in*

my new yorker runs hotter with the AC on too, especially between fan cycles,
this is 'cause the AC condenser is in front of the radiator. but i don't
know how yours is set up. i think that in the '93 laser the AC condenser
was off to the side with a seperate fan. i made mine a whole lot better by
purchasing a cooler thermostat for like $4.

i don't think the two are related, unless the rad has a lot of oil in it, in
which case it could be impeding coolant flow...

if it is possible, have the cooling system completely flushed. not just
drained and filled back up, i mean flushed with pressure that some shops
will do if the oil comes back, then start checking other things. but if
the head gasket is gone, i've heard of the steam-stuff out the tailpipe and
water in the oil before the other way around.

....trying not to sound like i am talking out my ass... i'm simply
extrapolating ideas from.. somewhere else

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 2nd 05, 04:10 AM
Diane5448

Thanks for the info. I don't have the white smoke coming from the exhaust.
I have had that happen before with my Cutlass. What a pain in the you know
what. I will have the radiator pressure flushed and cleaned and get a new
thermostat and see what happens then. Someone told me it might be really
old antifreeze. Don't know but I will have it all checked.
Thanks again.