Spark plug cleaning

Old October 14th 04, 09:16 PM
Stormin Mormon

Default Spark plug cleaning

My Dodge van has 8 cylinders. Eight plugs. Two bucks each. $16. I know
that's not a heck of a lot of money, but it hurts to throw them out just
cause they have a little bit of carbon on them.

How to clean spark plugs? Ideas?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 14th 04, 09:24 PM
Rusted

With one of these

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/AP-7833.html

. ..

Old October 14th 04, 10:54 PM
Stephen H. Westin

"Stormin Mormon" > writes:

> My Dodge van has 8 cylinders. Eight plugs. Two bucks each. $16. I know
> that's not a heck of a lot of money, but it hurts to throw them out just
> cause they have a little bit of carbon on them.
>
> How to clean spark plugs? Ideas?

Traditionally, sandblasting. Try to find a shop in your area
that still has a plug sandblaster.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old October 14th 04, 11:19 PM
Don Bruder

In article >,
"Stormin Mormon" > wrote:

> My Dodge van has 8 cylinders. Eight plugs. Two bucks each. $16. I know
> that's not a heck of a lot of money, but it hurts to throw them out just
> cause they have a little bit of carbon on them.
>
> How to clean spark plugs? Ideas?

There's a sandblaster box made specifically for the purpose. No idea on
price or who sells 'em. Failing that, a wire brush can usually
accomplish the job.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old October 15th 04, 03:53 PM
Figjam\(cable\)

WRONG !!!
A so called wire brush will render those plugs unuseable buddy !
Stop, do not pass go !
Do not claim your minute of fame!
That so called bright idea of useing a wire brush is an idiotic idea.
Unless of coarse you can prove that the carbon from the wire(steel)
will not coat or leave behind traces of carbon on the porcelain? insulator.
Unless one uses a brand new wire brush(stainless wire)

Fig

"Don Bruder" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Stormin Mormon" > wrote:
>
> > My Dodge van has 8 cylinders. Eight plugs. Two bucks each. $16. I know
> > that's not a heck of a lot of money, but it hurts to throw them out just
> > cause they have a little bit of carbon on them.
> >
> > How to clean spark plugs? Ideas?

> There's a sandblaster box made specifically for the purpose. No idea on
> price or who sells 'em. Failing that, a wire brush can usually
> accomplish the job.
>
> --
> Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21,

2004.
> Short form: I'm trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn't contain a password in

the

Old October 15th 04, 07:48 PM
Don Bruder

In article >,
"Figjam\(cable\)" > wrote:

> WRONG !!!
> A so called wire brush will render those plugs unuseable buddy!

Really? News to me, bub. It's been my standard method of coping with
fouled plugs since before I got a driver's license - From lawn mowers
and go-karts, to motorbikes, cars, and trucks - Or anything else that
uses a spark plug. Guess what? I've never - as in not one single time -
EVER - had a plug problem of any kind with a brush-cleaned plug. Unless,
of course, you count the crud buildup that convinces me to pull the
plugs and take a brush to 'em in the first place.

> Stop, do not pass go !
> Do not claim your minute of fame!
> That so called bright idea of useing a wire brush is an idiotic idea.

Kinda like your post is idiotic?

Back it on down a notch or three, son. By the sound of things, you're
running more than a little rich, and only hitting on about four out of
six, besides.

> Unless of coarse you can prove that the carbon from the wire(steel)
> will not coat or leave behind traces of carbon on the porcelain? insulator.

Tell ya what - Since it's your claim that it will, how about we use
standard debating methodology, and *YOU PROVE THAT IT DOES*.

(Hint: The percentage of carbon in the steel is so low as to be
effectively nonexistent in your scenario, and even if that weren't the
case, it's bound up in the alloy, not laying on the surface waiting to
be bumped loose on an unsuspecting plug)

> Unless one uses a brand new wire brush(stainless wire)

Spare me, son. If you had half a clue, you'd know as well as I do that
stainless steel (like ANY steel, regardless of the type) has carbon in
the alloy.

Get back with me after somebody buys you an economy-size box of clue.

Old October 16th 04, 03:06 AM
Stormin Mormon

Wish I had enough of an air compressor to support one of those.

Anyhow, I did get the van running again. The problem turned to be a very
dirty carb. Most of a can of Gold Eagle carb cleaner spray (tolune, acetone,
alcohol, and all the good stuff) stripped off the black coating.

Much better, now.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

.. .

Old October 16th 04, 03:06 AM
Stormin Mormon

I've used a wire brush for many years. Can't say as how it's ever given me
problems.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 16th 04, 03:06 AM
Stormin Mormon

I've been wire brushing spark plugs since 1976 or so.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 16th 04, 04:58 AM
Douglas A. Shrader

"Stormin Mormon" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've been wire brushing spark plugs since 1976 or so.
> `

Same here.